• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Can't stand the holster that came with my XDM 9mm. Just way to uncomfortable, angled all wrong all way up to high for me. Just doesn't feel like it's secure and like it will fall out if running or jumping. If I tighten it it takes a crane do draw.

I use a shoulder holster instead.

Not sure about the one in your link. Looks nice.

I'm just not a fan of OWB paddle holsters and such.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Ive used the holster that came with. It can be tighten for some retension. it does leave a scratch like any kydex holster. Simple cleaning and oil does the trick. Only used it at a competition.

Leather should not scratch if its made correctly. Ie,, no metals touching the gun.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    A few questions, I apologize in advance if these are stupid :

Do paddle holsters work at all without a belt?
    Will Kydex holsters damage the gun finish?
    Anyone like or use the holster that comes with the gun?
    Are other retention systems as secure as thumb break?
    Will leather holsters damage the gun finish, and if so do lined holsters minimize this?
    Right now this looks ideal, however I am not sure about the retention system.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V2V8ZM...e=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B001V2V8ZM

What are you going to use your holster for?

Paddle holsters don't work without a belt. As far as I know you need a belt for any waist holsters though so I don't know if I understand the question.

All guns are going to get a bit of wear from using a holster. That's the cost of doing business. A lined holster will minimize the effect but it's a simple fact of physics, friction is going to cause a gun to wear eventually. And in my opinion a gun with now wear is like a truck with no dirt on it.

A properly fitting holster is all you need. A Thumb break is unnecessary for most applications (This is why I asked what you are using it for, this answer changes if you are a cop looking for a duty holster.)

I like the holster that came with the XDm but I don't use it. I don't like the cant of it for what I'm going to use it for.

Safariland makes good holsters but point of note it says it fits an XD it does not say XDM. Verify that it will fit your XDM before you buy it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Paddle's will work w/out a belt - they're just not as secure/stable as with a belt, I know this for fact - I'm very skinny, so a belt isn't always an option for me. W/out a belt, it can shift somewhat.

Safariland's main site will tell you if they have one specifically for the XDm series, I used the main site to verify they had a fitment for my sidearm when I was looking.

Last edited:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks for the input so far. As far as the no belt issue, I was thinking that perhaps the paddle would slide over the waistband of jeans and could stay secure using the combination of the waistband of jeans, along with the shape of hip, and love handles.

My primary use would be for range carry, possible steel shoots, and down the road the unlikely use (for me) for CCW.

I was thinking of paddle just for ease of slipping it on at the range.

for range use.. yeah.. the xd holster does the job.. but i personally will not use it for ccw.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Some paddle holsters might have enough friction on the jeans themselves to stay sort of in place without having a belt but if you intend to carry a good belt will go a long way to making it more comfortable to carry.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I tried using the holster that came with my XD once at a firearms training class and got rid of it. It is difficult to draw your your XD quickly with the XD holster without it binding. It's just too short. I borrowed a Bladetech, which worked out very well. I ended up buying a very similar Uncle Mikes holster, because at the time, no body seemed to have a Bladetech in stock anywhere at the time. I like the Uncle Mikes and Bladetech equally.

I just got a Bladetech from JoeBob's for my XDM 5.25. He was one of the few vendors who carried holsters for the new XDM 5.25 and had the best price. I don't like the short holsters that came with my XD or XDM. They don't cover the full length of the barrel and slide. The Bladetech holster protects the fiberoptic site.

I haven't noticed any damage or wear from the holsters on either my XD or XDM.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I use the holster that came with my 4.5 XDm. I like it. Use at comps and steel shoots 1 to 3 times a month and it's been fine for 2.5 years now. I have gotten an extra mag pouch from Comptac for USPSA matches and realize now that the XDm mag pouches aren't so hot. If I get a new holster for the gun it will Comptac, also.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I use the holster that came with my 4.5 XDm. I like it. Use at comps and steel shoots 1 to 3 times a month and it's been fine for 2.5 years now. I have gotten an extra mag pouch from Comptac for USPSA matches and realize now that the XDm mag pouches aren't so hot. If I get a new holster for the gun it will Comptac, also.

I love Comp Tac stuff. They don't make a holster for the 5.25 models yet though so I went with a Blade Tech holster with the Tech Lock which is even easier to get on and off than a paddle.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks for the input so far. As far as the no belt issue, I was thinking that perhaps the paddle would slide over the waistband of jeans and could stay secure using the combination of the waistband of jeans, along with the shape of hip, and love handles.

My primary use would be for range carry, possible steel shoots, and down the road the unlikely use (for me) for CCW.

I was thinking of paddle just for ease of slipping it on at the range.

You NEED to use a belt with a paddle holster. Retention/draw and belt are synonymous. Most paddle holsters have a lip that grab some portion of a belt as part of basic fit and stability when drawing the pistol.
    You asked about retention, you use a belt as part of the system. If you don't care about retention or proper draw, do what you want. Just my measely .02

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Thanks much guys- I am checking out this stuff. I think thumb break wouldn't be necessary since I'm not into doing the CCW thing.
    I'm seeing that the Kydex models that are short and allow the barrel to stick out wouldn't be good for daily activities, but would be fine for my intended use.
    I've noticed some say they are legal for IDPA, what makes this so?
    For range use only I've seen some leather holster that do not have any retention system, do you folks have thoughts about this?

As far as I know it has to do with how far the holster is from the hip and I've never been challenged on using mine in IDPA.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I wasn't saying a belt is not needed, it is. Even for the really skinny guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom