• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Any gunsmiths or shops out there that have an XDM sight press? Really don’t want to cut out the original sights with a dremel or knock out with a drift scaring up the slide. Just bought some Dawson Precision sights I want to upgrade to.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if they just drift in and out, super easy to do with just a hammer and 1/4" hardwood dowel. i've done a ton of glocks (rear sights) that way.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If you have any squeeze-clamps in your tools, just vice the slide, put something like a brass cleaning jag or wooden dowel between one side of the sight and the clamp jaw, then squeeze the clamp to drift out the sight. It works well and is very controllable.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    XDM sights are kinda tough, the rear isn't a big issue, but the front is really tight, and the peice in the dovetail is kinda thin. Normally don't want to push on the sight blade at all, but my sight press was starting to deform the base pushing the old one out, and the slide shape makes it tough to sit flat. I cut a block of wood to support the slide, clamed it to a shop press, and used a square end punch to push the old one out, and the new one in. I have a couple cheaper pushers, but machine/auto shop tools. should have just bought a MGW pusher years ago.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    You might try the Springfield Custom Shop. I don't think they'll F it up.

My go to LGS declined to work on XDM sights as they previously wrecked other sight presses. This is the same shop that replaced my stock G-19 stocks with Trijicons no problem.

Something about those XDM sight fittings and IDK what it is.

Off and on, I was considering it and pretty much was locked into going with the Springfield shop but have not pulled the trigger yet.

Luck!

PS: I love my XDM 45 Compact as much as I love my G-19.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom