• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishcheeks

Oct 12, 2012
    washington, dc
    I'm not sure if this had been coveredin detail, if so please advise And i will look there.

So I'm looking for a second handgun (currently have a G17) and really interestedin the springfields in. 40 SW. I'm trying to decide between the XD Tactical (5 inch barrel) and the XDM (4.5 match barrel). i do not intend to carry and have to live w 10 rd limitation.

How different is the XD from the XDM? What is more fun for shooting at the range? Please help.

fishcheeks

Oct 12, 2012
    washington, dc
    re: Why not the SDM Comp? price, the SDM 4.5 is already maxing out the budget. But then I'm not expecting to buy another handgun for quite a while.

The SD Tact and the SDM 4.5 are relatively close in price and the trade is between price/quality/accuracy - is the barrel difference even a factor?

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I'm not sure if this had been coveredin detail, if so please advise And i will look there.

So I'm looking for a second handgun (currently have a G17) and really interestedin the springfields in. 40 SW. I'm trying to decide between the XD Tactical (5 inch barrel) and the XDM (4.5 match barrel). i do not intend to carry and have to live w 10 rd limitation.

How different is the XD from the XDM? What is more fun for shooting at the range? Please help.

I have the xdm in 40 s&w. it's nice but I'm looking to get the glock 23. I wasn't big on glocks till I got one. I bought a glock because the xdm's most places are way over priced. Just my 2 cents.

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    i have the xd service and xdm 4.5 they both awesome great but the xdm is less forgiving with a not very solid grip, the xd is easier to shoot for me, trigger on xdm is better once you work on your grip xdm is flawless accurate is just awesome, xd in the other hand doesn't have interchangeable back straps the ergonomics are just good and fits well big and small hands.

xdm more accurate if you have a solid good grip and technique, but xd is very accurate i like the xd tactical a lot. i think you wont go wrong with either but if you get the tactical you migh be able to go home with couple hundred rounds... compare to just pay for the xdm.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I have the XD-M 5.25" in .45, the only issues thus far were the sights were about 2" left from the factory (several shooters tried, easily adjusted) and if shooting low power reloads i need to change the spring out as it will jam (forced me to get good at stovepipe clearing)

With factory loads the weapon has worked flawlessly

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I started by looking at the XDM 5.25. That led me to the same conundrum you are currently in. I liked the Fiber Optic front sight and was looking for a lower end Competition style pistol. I settled with the 5 inch M&P Pro and never looked back.

It has great sights, the same size barrel as the XD Tactical, and has had no malfunctions in over 1000 rounds. It is my first M&P, and supposedly it has a better trigger than the standard models, however I have been looking into the Apex trigger. Overall I love it and only paid around 600. If you'd like to try it at the AGC send me a PM it's a great shooter!

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    I bought my wife an XDM, and I love it so much I want one for myself. I got her the 9mm, 4.5 inch, black slide OD frame. Great accurate gun.

The gunshop I bought it from told me it's a poor choice because it's not ergonomic. Maybe not for him I guess.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I have an XD9 and XDM 5.25 in 9 mm if you would like to try them out

I have an XD9 and an XDM 5.25 9mm. I love to shoot both of them. I have had my XD9 for about 3 years and my XDM 5.25 for about 4 months. I slightly prefer the way my XD9 feels in my hand. It could be that I am just really used to it. I have well over 6,000 rounds through it. I only have about 600 rounds through my XDM. The XDM comes with 3 back straps. I want to try the other ones to which I prefer. The XD9, I have has a 3.8" barrel. It is very accurate. I shoot it at 50 yards every few months and it does really well. I have also shot the XD subcompact .40 XD at 50 yards and it does really well too. I just got the XDM 5.25 in 9mm. I like the features that comes with, 3 - 19 round magazines, fiber optic sight, 5.25" barrel. I am getting used to it. I would say it would be a toss up between the XD tactical 5" barrel and the XDM 5.25 as to which I would prefer. The fiberoptic sight and 19 round magazine is pretty nice. I do like the grip of the XD. Send me a PM if you would like to try them out at the AGC.

fishcheeks

Oct 12, 2012
    washington, dc
    Thank you to everyone who responded! And esp tball for the generous offer.

The chips fell today as i was prepared to make the plunge w the XDM. It turned out that the XDM is not offered w a 10rd mag nor are 10 rd mags available. SA has not applied for Cali or Mass complience for the XDM, soooooo, no registration possible at this point for DC for me.

The cop killers, cabbie killers, rapists, and school kid shooters will have no trouble obtaining one or a doz.

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    Thank you to everyone who responded! And esp tball for the generous offer.

The chips fell today as i was prepared to make the plunge w the XDM. It turned out that the XDM is not offered w a 10rd mag nor are 10 rd mags available. SA has not applied for Cali or Mass complience for the XDM, soooooo, no registration possible at this point for DC for me.

The cop killers, cabbie killers, rapists, and school kid shooters will have no trouble obtaining one or a doz.

In MD when they don't sell a less than 30 round mag, they just ship you the firearm without the magazine, then you go out and buy your own. So is it not legal to register, legal to possess or, legal to purchase?

fishcheeks

Oct 12, 2012
    washington, dc
    It is not legal to have a greater than 10 rd magazine in DC
    SA does not make a 10 rd mag for the XDM. 40

DC will also not allow registration of a non California approved handgun
    SA has not applied for Ca safety approval, the latest list of allowable handguns for DC (Sept 2012) does not include the XDM

The XD is approved and does offer a 10 rd mag

I already have a Glock 17 (w 10rd mags) and wanted a .40 and liked the XD line. I may end up w the XD. 40 tactical, or just wait for the XdM to get on the list

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom