Wyoming Pronghorn, mule deer hunt advise needed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    I was approached by a friend about planning a hunt in Wyoming. He was previously unable to travel from home due to a sick family member but is now able to participate in a hunt. He has been collecting points for quite a few years so that won't be an issue. We have a group of 3 and would like to hunt Pronghorn and possibly mule deer. Problem is he had a hip replaced last year, walking a lot may be a problem, walking on steep terrain may be a problem. I have a lot of homework ahead of me and would like some advice on where to get started, where to go etc. Also is it better to fly out and hotel it, drive out and take a camper. What about the meat we may possibly harvest, ship it back, drive it back? Lots to think about and any guidance would be appreciated.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I’ve hunted a lot of western states, including Wyoming. Task #1 is find out where you are going to hunt. Wyoming is big, and the terrain varies from mostly flat prairie to steep mountains. Most of Eastern Wyoming where the good Pronghorn hunting is located is private land. The landowners understand the economic value of allowing hunters on their land, and are very accommodating. For a price...

I’ve driven out to almost every hunt. For me, it makes it easier to get there and easier to get around. Cheyenne Wyoming is 2 long days drive from MD, or 3 easy days of fooling around. Flying will use up most of a day, and you will probably have to drive several hours from the airport to the hunting area. Driving makes getting the meat home easier. Just freeze it solid, and pack it in a quality cooler. It’ll stay frozen for the whole trip back. Depending on the airline, they can be dicks about allowing coolers of meat in the cargo hold.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    WY hunting and "walking is a Problem" are 2 things that do not go together.
    I am out there a few times a year, It's beautiful, Majestic, not to many A-holes.
    But I still prefer to hunt in MD sitting in a climber 200 yds from the truck.

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    I’ve hunted a lot of western states, including Wyoming. Task #1 is find out where you are going to hunt. Wyoming is big, and the terrain varies from mostly flat prairie to steep mountains. Most of Eastern Wyoming where the good Pronghorn hunting is located is private land. The landowners understand the economic value of allowing hunters on their land, and are very accommodating. For a price...

I’ve driven out to almost every hunt. For me, it makes it easier to get there and easier to get around. Cheyenne Wyoming is 2 long days drive from MD, or 3 easy days of fooling around. Flying will use up most of a day, and you will probably have to drive several hours from the airport to the hunting area. Driving makes getting the meat home easier. Just freeze it solid, and pack it in a quality cooler. It’ll stay frozen for the whole trip back. Depending on the airline, they can be dicks about allowing coolers of meat in the cargo hold.
    As it stands now he is looking to have us drive out but may want to pull a small camper to park on public land. good quality coolers are not a problem. navigating the whole process seems a bit confusing.

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011

As it stands now he is looking to have us drive out but may want to pull a small camper to park on public land. good quality coolers are not a problem. navigating the whole process seems a bit confusing.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    To me flying is stressful, it's going to take a long day and a half to get there and settled if all goes well. Rental vehicle or shuttled by the outfitter, traveling with guns, ammo, boots, hunting gear then getting the meat and trophy horns home by airlines or shipped seems problematic.
    Driving and riding with leg, hip and back problems can be bad as well. Traveling is hard for a fit healthy person. Vehicle issues are another consideration. The travel vehicle and trailer have to be in excellent mechanical condition and someone riding should be at least a half a_s mechanic. A break down or lost luggage can cost you a day or more hunting and more $$.
    No experience here though, I'm just joining the conversation because I have the same struggle in my mind about making a moose hunt happen. If you have a good friend you can get along with on a trip then just do it and we all wish you the best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom