• GCM56

MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2021
    Thank you

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Not many. There is one in the Canaan valley .
    'Windwood Flyin'

I believe it's all second homes/VRBO type places.
    i used to play golf with a long time canaan local and every time he'd see a plane taking off or landing he'd say there goes another drug shipment. never seen nor heard anything regarding drugs in canaan so not sure where that was coming from.

jet307

May 19, 2021
    Urbana, MD
    Last year I bought 11 acres in Great Cacapon on the Capon River. I live in Frederick but get out there every weekend to shoot or kayak. It was cheap last year but the prices are soaring now...

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Selling high buying high or
    Selling “normal” buying
    “normal” is basically a wash.
    If you sell high in MD chances are you’ll still be ahead of the game buying high somewhere else. GL
    Mortgage rates are climbing and will continue to do so. That will cut prices and dampen demand.

MD housing, especially close to DC, will always bring in more money than it's worth. It's hard for me to see the attraction, but with so much government money in the area, it will no doubt continue to be a draw.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Any airport communities in WV?
    As others have said, Windwood Fly-in Resort in Canaan is the most well known. https://windwoodflyin.com/

There's this property for sale (if you have the $$$$) http://rollinghillslanding.com/

Hedgesville, WV in the eastern panhandle has Green Landings "airport" for those wishing to fly into the area. https://www.airport-data.com/airport/photo/030132.html

Windwood is the only established resort/community around the airpark though.
    That said, there are plenty of airports in WV that are close to resort and second home areas while still being able to service cities and towns.

The Greenbrier, for example, used to have its own airport. They took the land and developed private homes on it though. Now you fly into the Greenbrier Valley Airport in Maxwellton, just down the road.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    As others have said, Windwood Fly-in Resort in Canaan is the most well known. https://windwoodflyin.com/

There's this property for sale (if you have the $$$$) http://rollinghillslanding.com/

Hedgesville, WV in the eastern panhandle has Green Landings "airport" for those wishing to fly into the area. https://www.airport-data.com/airport/photo/030132.html

Windwood is the only established resort/community around the airpark though.
    That said, there are plenty of airports in WV that are close to resort and second home areas while still being able to service cities and towns.

The Greenbrier, for example, used to have its own airport. They took the land and developed private homes on it though. Now you fly into the Greenbrier Valley Airport in Maxwellton, just down the road.

You’re telling me that you can a plane in that “green space” between the houses? That looks more like a place you’d pick instead of crashing. At least it’s a step above the Hudson River.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Did you try google? It probably has some results.

There are at least 5. Windwood that others have identified. I used to hop rides out of there when I had the Howard. There is one just behind Summit Point, there is Green Landings in Hedgesville, there is one a little south of Parkersburg that I forget the name of, and Ona Airpark. I almost bought a lot on the one by Summit Point, but we were 20k apart on price. Kind of wish I made the stretch now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    You’re telling me that you can a plane in that “green space” between the houses? That looks more like a place you’d pick instead of crashing. At least it’s a step above the Hudson River.
    I've seen worse. Much worse. A small two-to-four passenger plane will land there just fine. Alaskan bush pilots land on much worse. Shoot, I've had commercial flights that landed in places with a much less desirable approach. Golfito in Costa Rica is awful. The warning system is screaming "terrain, terrain, pull up, pull up" the entire approach as you fly straight towards a mountain only to have to yaw left, get really low over the town and university, and then land in what amounts to a single runway up a narrow hollow that would be right at home in the hills of WV.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

jet307

May 19, 2021
    Urbana, MD
    A year ago I bought 11 acres on the Capon River in Great Cacapon. My own personal range! I'm trying to have a small cabin built but I can't find any WV licensed general contractors build... All the ones in Morgan County are either retired, can't find help or are too busy and may be able to do it in a year or two. Contractors from Martinsburg and other areas don't want to drive to Great Cacapon for a small cabin. Maybe with the looming recession and housing slowdown, I'll be able to find one soon.... I love the ear though. I can say that literally a month after we closed, prices for land there shot up.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Yep, modulars are pretty easy to do out in the countryside. All you need is for someone to pour a pad and put in utilities. The modular guys truck in the pieces and put it together. No GC really needed after that. You see a lot of them the further away from the bigger cities/towns you get.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Right across the border from Winchester. 15+ acres and a GORGEOUS house.
    Nice place, Judging by the 300 days on the market though it looks like 900K is way too high.
    This place is still sitting on the market. In April it had been on the market over 300 days. They took it off the market long enough for Zillow to reset the time on market and relisted it for 10 dollars less lol. So despite it saying 70 days on market now it is really about 455 days on market. With rates still very much on the rise and no price improvement in over 9 months... good luck.

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    This place is still sitting on the market. In April it had been on the market over 300 days. They took it off the market long enough for Zillow to reset the time on market and relisted it for 10 dollars less lol. So despite it saying 70 days on market now it is really about 455 days on market. With rates still very much on the rise and no price improvement in over 9 months... good luck.
    My mother owned a plot up there, we sold it when she passed away in 2004. I considered keeping the plot and building my own place up there until I read the deed restrictions. No target shooting and no hunting - even bow - on those properties.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Yep, modulars are pretty easy to do out in the countryside. All you need is for someone to pour a pad and put in utilities. The modular guys truck in the pieces and put it together. No GC really needed after that. You see a lot of them the further away from the bigger cities/towns you get.

And it doesn't mean 'cheaply done' either. The good thing with those manufacturers is that everything electric lighting etc. can be laid out exactly like you want it beforehand. You are not at the mercy of the kid swinging a hammer or the local electrician to get the outlets you wanted. Probably one of the better options in areas where the talent pool local builders can draw from is shallow.

Just had a fun wiring experience at my place in WV. Managed to trip the GFCI in my bedroom. Took me a day to figure out that in addition to the CAFCI on the panel, the 'bedroom' circuit was protected by a GFCI outlet located on an outside patio....

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    And it doesn't mean 'cheaply done' either. The good thing with those manufacturers is that everything electric lighting etc. can be laid out exactly like you want it beforehand. You are not at the mercy of the kid swinging a hammer or the local electrician to get the outlets you wanted. Probably one of the better options in areas where the talent pool local builders can draw from is shallow.

Just had a fun wiring experience at my place in WV. Managed to trip the GFCI in my bedroom. Took me a day to figure out that in addition to the CAFCI on the panel, the 'bedroom' circuit was protected by a GFCI outlet located on an outside patio....
    I've got you beat! I was working on an old, OLD house in Talcott, WV (down in Summers County) years ago with Appalachia Service Project. The story of the house is way too long to recite with all the issues we ran into, but the short of it is that a simple sub-floor replacement turned into a whole mess of other projects that included pouring a new footer, replacing a band joist, and ultimately framing out two whole new exterior walls which required me to move some existing wiring and boxes. Needless to say, I had to flip the breaker before I dove into what is ultimately minor electrical work. I searched the whole damned house (the homeowner was out running errands) and couldn't find the panel ANYWHERE. The homeowner gets back and I ask them where the panel is so that I can turn off the breaker to the back bedroom. "Oh, well, I'm surprised you didn't see it, it's right out here on the front porch!" That's right. The panel was literally on the front porch exposed to the weather. The homeowner said that the breakers would trip whenever there was a bad storm. I'm sure they did.....

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

Not very far from my place.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Grafton is in Taylor County just off Rt. 50W. West of Garrett Co., MD. I know Grant and Mineral Counties very well. Nice mountain area you better like cold weather and snow like I do. I'm going up to Gormania, Grant Co., WV next week. I'm gonna check this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom