• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Can't say that I haven't been tempted to move about a few miles west across the Potomac. Just not in the cards for a while.
    Do it anyways. It's liberating. It's liberating in the way a really good divorce can be.

NICS Exemption
    ConCarry
    Shall Issue
    Sunday hunting
    Parking lot exemption/protection
    Pick up and drop off at school exemption
    SBR with any length barrel
    No waiting period
    No regulated firearm list
    No HQL
    and the list goes on.....

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Try UPS. Minimal charge. My bank, PNC, does notary free for me. But I took my designated collector application to UPS instead cause didn't think my bank needed to know about my guns.
    I am aware of those but to some those may not be options or convenient or whatever.

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    Here is reply from Monica at Jefferson County Sheriff's office.

You can fill out the application, without signing, or you may fill it out here. Yes, we have notaries.

Yes, $100 at submission, and $25 at pick up. At this time, we can only accept EXACT cash for payment with a non-resident application.

Yes to your current MD driver’s license. Your social security card is not needed.

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    Colorado is only if it's a WV resident permit. CO only recognizes resident permits from the states it has reciprocity with, IIRC.
    Correct. If already have MD resident, a WV non-resident will add DE,MN,LA,NM,NV,WY,NE

I am considering a cross country trip so adding NV,WY,NE,MN means good for most of trip.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I was going to say whats all the worry of a non resident permit when wva is permitless carry.

For me, I have family in Minnesota and it may be the only permit I can reasonably get that MN will accept. I could get a non-resident MN permit, but I'd have to make a trip up there specifically to get the permit as the training and all other requirements are in-person*. If I'm making the 20 some hour drive to MN (and again to come back), I want to spend my time there visiting my uncle, cousin and my cousin's wife, not taking classes and filling out forms. I will definitely get the WV permit (and since they are good in Delaware, I may let my UT permit expire after I get the WV).

Another good reason, it is smart to get a permit for any state where you regularly spend time. Federal laws regarding carrying firearms near (within 1000 yards) of a school can theoretically get you in trouble. It is illegal under federal law to be within 1000 yards of a school unless you have a carry permit issued by the state in which you happen to be. There are many schools that are easily within 1000 yards of the road and sometimes within 1000 yards of a residence or business. Now, if you aren't visiting someone who lives that close to a school or going to a business that is that close, it would take being pulled over while you are in the school zone, and having to disclose that you are carrying (or having the police decide to search your vehicle) to be caught, but permits are usually inexpensive and easy enough that getting 2 or 3 non-resident permits is not that big a deal.

*Note, MN law does not specifically require training to be done in MN, only that the application has to be in person at a MN sheriff's office. However, I have yet to find a MN approved training course outside MN (I'm sure if I checked its neighboring states there may be some, but then, if I go that far, I may as well continue into MN).

Last edited:

ICW2019

Mar 8, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    For me, I have family in Minnesota and it may be the only permit I can reasonably get that MN will accept. I could get a non-resident MN permit, but I'd have to make a trip up there specifically to get the permit as the training and all other requirements are in-person*. If I'm making the 20 some hour drive to MN (and again to come back), I want to spend my time there visiting my uncle, cousin and my cousin's wife, not taking classes and filling out forms. I will definitely get the WV permit (and since they are good in Delaware, I may let my UT permit expire after I get the WV).

Another good reason, it is smart to get a permit for any state where you regularly spend time. Federal laws regarding carrying firearms near (within 1000 yards) of a school can theoretically get you in trouble. It is illegal under federal law to be within 1000 yards of a school unless you have a carry permit issued by the state in which you happen to be. There are many schools that are easily within 1000 yards of the road and sometimes within 1000 yards of a residence or business. Now, if you aren't visiting someone who lives that close to a school or going to a business that is that close, it would take being pulled over while you are in the school zone, and having to disclose that you are carrying (or having the police decide to search your vehicle) to be caught, but permits are usually inexpensive and easy enough that getting 2 or 3 non-resident permits is not that big a deal.

*Note, MN law does not specifically require training to be done in MN, only that the application has to be in person at a MN sheriff's office. However, I have yet to find a MN approved training course outside MN (I'm sure if I checked its neighboring states there may be some, but then, if I go that far, I may as well continue into MN).
    GFSZA is almost always a add on charge and you'd be hard pressed to find someone to charge you for legally carrying and charge you because you drove down the same road the school was on. If it makes you feel better have at it. I worry about enough laws I potentially violate in the state of MD and this isn't one of them.

Burt Hammersmith

Dumpster Fire
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 20, 2015
    So are we sure MN honors WV non resident permit? It says they honor WV regular permit. I’ve called WV and left a voicemail. I also called MN and the lady says that she believes it is only for resident WV carry permit. So idk yet still trying to find out.

The question is what is a regular permit?

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    So are we sure MN honors WV non resident permit? It says they honor WV regular permit. I’ve called WV and left a voicemail. I also called MN and the lady says that she believes it is only for resident WV carry permit. So idk yet still trying to find out.

The question is what is a regular permit?
    I would guess regular means WV resident permit. usacarry does say that MN accepts WV non-resident. if you find out otherwise, let us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom