• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwfrench

Aug 21, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    Ordered some bullets from Cabela's. Shipped to my friends place in WV. They charged me 3.7% sales tax. Just realized (after checking), WV exempts ammo + components (bullets,primers,powder,brass,caps,etc). I knew about ammo, but didn't realize they define components as ammo. Got on Cabela's website and left comment along with my order number and included copy of WV's tax exemption notice. Waiting to see what they say.

Edit: search for TSD-444 to get the WV description of what is tax exempt.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Ordered some bullets from Cabela's. Shipped to my friends place in WV. They charged me 3.7% sales tax. Just realized (after checking), WV exempts ammo + components (bullets,primers,powder,brass,caps,etc). I knew about ammo, but didn't realize they define components as ammo. Got on Cabela's website and left comment along with my order number and included copy of WV's tax exemption notice. Waiting to see what they say.

Edit: search for TSD-444 to get the WV description of what is tax exempt.
    Where did they come up with 3.7%? 6% would have made sense and would be an easy mistake but they pulled that out of thin air

gwfrench

Aug 21, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    Already got a response, refunded the tax as a gift card (which is what I used to pay originally). Said they would bump this up to try and prevent this happening again. Didn't explain where the 3.7% tax rate came from.

gwfrench

Aug 21, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    I got what I thought is a pretty good deal on a pack of 300 158gr .357 Hornady XTP bullets for $63.99. At food store Giant Eagle, I bought $100 Cabela's gift card on sale. That purchase gives a $0.40/gallon discount for 30 gallons of gas ($12.00) at a local station. $12.00 = 12% discount on gas (if you get 30 gallons). I have three 5 gallon cans I use to reach 30 gallons.

So, $63.99 minus 12% discount on 30 gallons, minus 1% Visa cash back (totals 13%) = $63.99 * 0.87 = $55.67 ($0.186/bullet). At Midway it's $.29/bullet plus shipping. I bought some 357 HBWC bullets to up the total at the same time (same effective discount, $0.12/bullet). Plus free shipping to my friend in WV to avoid sales tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom