• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-Man

Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    Hey All,
    My two kids both tonight expressed excited in interest in learning to shoot and owning their first rifles for the first time. :party29: We have been working on pellets/bb rifles and I want to get them started on a .22.

I can go to Walmart and get one, but I wanted to see if anyone has grown out of a Cricket or similar rifle for a first training rifle for the kiddos. Doesn't have to be pretty, just operational for smaller hands.

Thanks
    Tom

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    great dad getting your kids into shooting. my kids 12 and 9 both have thier own youth rifle, which they've had for about 3 yrs now.

my daughter has a Cricket and my son has a Savage Cub. they still use them ohterwise i would part wtih them.

Magnumite

Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have one my son won't let me get rid of. He wants it for his kids. He is 17 now but used to shoot the daylights out of that little rifle. His favorite shot was to line up several clays in a row and shoot 'em up with one shot.

You won't regret a new one if you can't find one out there used. Good luck.

28Shooter

MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I have a new in the box Marlin single-shot bolt action youth rifle that I bought for my son before we figured out that he was left handed. PM me and lets talk.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I have a new in the box Marlin single-shot bolt action youth rifle that I bought for my son before we figured out that he was left handed. PM me and lets talk.

I learned to shoot on a Marlin Little Buckaroo (single shot bolt action .22LR). I'm saving mine for my son, but I highly recommend it if this is what you are selling.

EDIT - When I was a kid (11 or 12 y/o), my dad let me keep the rifle, but he kept the bolt in the safe. In retrospect, I think that was a great compromise.

Last edited:

Old Gaffer

Jun 26, 2006
    +1 on Dad teaching kids to shoot!

And if I'm not too late, I'd STRONGLY consider a Ruger 10/22 Compact. Dw has one that she brings to our club's Young Shooters Day (4th Sunday most months April - Oct) and it's by FAR the most popular gun on the line, which includes a bunch of Cricketts our club got free thanks to the NSSF's First Shots Program.

The really nice thing about the 10/22 Compact is that it's a real 10/22, and when the time comes you can swap out the stock for a full sized one (of which there is a veritable plethora on the used market) and keep on shooting.

Cheers,
    Rob

T-Man

Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    +1 on Dad teaching kids to shoot!

And if I'm not too late, I'd STRONGLY consider a Ruger 10/22 Compact. Dw has one that she brings to our club's Young Shooters Day (4th Sunday most months April - Oct) and it's by FAR the most popular gun on the line, which includes a bunch of Cricketts our club got free thanks to the NSSF's First Shots Program.

The really nice thing about the 10/22 Compact is that it's a real 10/22, and when the time comes you can swap out the stock for a full sized one (of which there is a veritable plethora on the used market) and keep on shooting.

Cheers,
    Rob

Thanks Rob. I have a 10/22 already, so I will look into going the other way by getting a compact stock.

And thread update, thanks to this thread and a deal with 28Shooter, I have a nice Marlin "Little Buckaroo" with which to start the kids off with. Thanks again John. Given that they have discovered the joys of the old Long Ranger series, the Lone Ranger was old when I was their age for pete's sake, this could not have worked out any better. Now I just have to find me some fringed buckskin.

Top Bottom