Wrasslin' Fans; The lost history of the DC arena that grew a wrestling institution

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    80's wrasslin' was OK but the 60s/70s were still the best. This era preceded me (obviously) but always find connections to the past interesting.

In late 1948, Vincent J. McMahon — father of Vince K. McMahon, who later bought World Wrestling Entertainment — was brought on as general manager. A few years later in December 1952, McMahon and his silent partners subleased Turner’s Arena for $60,000 and purchased the rights to hold events in the DC area from Menendez.

The arena was transformed under McMahon’s direction. Now facing competition from television networks, McMahon began shuffling around the event schedule to avoid popular television programs, and added team wrestling.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Funny, I remember my Parents and Uncle talking about going there on dates in the 50's. Looks a lot smaller than I imagined. Thanks for sharing, RIP Killer Kowalski.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Funny, I remember my Parents and Uncle talking about going there on dates in the 50's. Looks a lot smaller than I imagined. Thanks for sharing, RIP Killer Kowalski.
    Yeah, I was familiar with The Colosseum but not this one.

It’s difficult for me to grasp DC as some hard scrabble blue collar town like Baltimore or something but there you go!

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Yeah, I was familiar with The Colosseum but not this one.

It’s difficult for me to grasp DC as some hard scrabble blue collar town like Baltimore or something but there you go!
    Yea I agree, I have photos of them all dressed up going to see Patsy Cline at Turners Arena, then Chinatown for dinner as well. The blue collar hang out was Dixie Pig on Marlboro Pike.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    80's wrasslin' was OK but the 60s/70s were still the best. This era preceded me (obviously) but always find connections to the past interesting.

In late 1948, Vincent J. McMahon — father of Vince K. McMahon, who later bought World Wrestling Entertainment — was brought on as general manager. A few years later in December 1952, McMahon and his silent partners subleased Turner’s Arena for $60,000 and purchased the rights to hold events in the DC area from Menendez.

The arena was transformed under McMahon’s direction. Now facing competition from television networks, McMahon began shuffling around the event schedule to avoid popular television programs, and added team wrestling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom