• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Does anyone here do window repair? I have emailed a few dozen companies over the last year, and not a single one has bothered to answer their emails or contact forms. I have a Atrium Companies (Welcome, NC) double hung window that one of the neighbors hit with a mower propelled rock. Its only broken on the outside pane, but the whole glass pack needs to be replaced.

Any ideas of anyone that might actually answer an email, or perhaps a good phone number of someone who actually can help?

Thanks,
    Mark

Jake4now

Not Disapproved
    Jul 20, 2022
    Baltimore County MD
    I have used American Storefront in the past for business and once for a repair at my home similar to what your need, on a giant sliding door. It has been a few years since I have used them. I'll PM you the number that I have for them.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    We’ve had similar (zero) success with “window” (and “window/door”) companies but have found success in contacting simple, “glass” companies in our locale.

Employee of one “window / door” company in our area was forthright and confided in us his company is only interested in “whole house” (or close to it) new installs or new construction, period.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Does anyone here do window repair? I have emailed a few dozen companies over the last year, and not a single one has bothered to answer their emails or contact forms. I have a Atrium Companies (Welcome, NC) double hung window that one of the neighbors hit with a mower propelled rock. Its only broken on the outside pane, but the whole glass pack needs to be replaced.

Any ideas of anyone that might actually answer an email, or perhaps a good phone number of someone who actually can help?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Is the glass pack a thermopane? If so, it needs to made to order unless you can get the part direct from the OEM. I haven't fooled with them in a while but the frames usually come apart easily. A dead blow hammer or even a regular hammer and a pine block after removing the fasteners.

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    We tried window companies and got the same "whole house or nothing else", most of who I contacted was glass companies, I can't even get the manufacturer to reply. It is a thermopane, I have taken the sash out, and it's a whole pack, not glazed like an old window.

I will try American Storefront and see if they can try and help.

Mark

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I took a double pane window to Bel Air Glass and Mirror for them to fix once. I was satisfied. They're in Forest Hill near the emissions testing place

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I've had several double pane with low-E glass replaced by Glass and Screen Hospital. I took one to them to see how it would turn out. Turned out good so I took a couple more and then finally one more last spring. Call them in the morning and they have it done the same day, sometimes in a couple hours.
    Next door to them is Hodge's and I've heard rumored they were related, bother and sister or something like that and they couldn't get along.
    Hodge's wanted a good bit more to do the same glass.
    Later I found that the Glass Hospital just replaces the glass and does a nice job, but the glass does not have the same reflective properties as the original windows.
    I have super efficient glass with coatings on all four sides and the inside flushed with gas. The sun does not warm the interior of the house. The room with the new glass now gets warm with the sun's rays.
    Hodge's, if I remember correctly, offer the same factory specs with gas flushed inside.
    That's why they were more expensive.
    They both used the sash's original frame.
    IIRC the cost was around $45 for a 15x30" and $80 for a 30x30". Hodge's was a lot more but you get what you pay for. Glass Hospital was 2 year warranty and Hodge's 1 year at the time.

They're both located on Middle River RD at Bird River RD in Essex, practically next door to each other.

BIG problem with windows is the companies go out of business along with your lifetime warranty. My windows were Gorrell and B.F. Rich, both big companies in business since the 60's...gone!
    The owner of Rich gave we a tour of the factory. The argon gas in between is injected as a liquid and in a few seconds it evaporates, disappears inside.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The thermos I installed as a teenager came from MD glass and mirror company. Used to be on ostend road in baltimurder. Probably still are. Been a long time but they did good work duplicating the original pack. They'd even install the original mullions if provided. The windows and doors (usually sliders) were typically easy to strip unless they were the fused plastic frames without screws. Then you were hosed.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    MarkGrutz

Can you post a pic of the window? Mostly looking for the size and location on the house.
    All depending on the scenario, I do different things to solve issues like this.

Once I broke a pane on a friend's Slider door from weedwacker rock issue.
    I used a place in Cockeysville who could remake just about any size window or door. Valley Glass. I just tried calling them and it is not in service. They have been around forever and may have retired.

But depending on the situation, there are other ways/places to use. A pic would help me.
    I am guessing this is in Ellicott City.

Another good glass company is Chaudron

Last edited:

Roro

Jun 26, 2022
    Md

Thanks,
    Mark
    Depending on the manufacturer you can buy the replacement panes and replace them yourself. The window comes apart rather easily. And the replacement has the seal already on it. Its just a pre- assembled unit.

lockandload

Oct 26, 2012
    Baltimore Roof and Renovation ask for Brian. Brian is a great guy to work with. He has lazer beam focus to detail and stands behind his work. Brian - 1 410-795-0006

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I've had several double pane with low-E glass replaced by Glass and Screen Hospital. I took one to them to see how it would turn out. Turned out good so I took a couple more and then finally one more last spring. Call them in the morning and they have it done the same day, sometimes in a couple hours.
    Next door to them is Hodge's and I've heard rumored they were related, bother and sister or something like that and they couldn't get along.
    Hodge's wanted a good bit more to do the same glass.
    Later I found that the Glass Hospital just replaces the glass and does a nice job, but the glass does not have the same reflective properties as the original windows.
    I have super efficient glass with coatings on all four sides and the inside flushed with gas. The sun does not warm the interior of the house. The room with the new glass now gets warm with the sun's rays.
    Hodge's, if I remember correctly, offer the same factory specs with gas flushed inside.
    That's why they were more expensive.
    They both used the sash's original frame.
    IIRC the cost was around $45 for a 15x30" and $80 for a 30x30". Hodge's was a lot more but you get what you pay for. Glass Hospital was 2 year warranty and Hodge's 1 year at the time.

They're both located on Middle River RD at Bird River RD in Essex, practically next door to each other.

BIG problem with windows is the companies go out of business along with your lifetime warranty. My windows were Gorrell and B.F. Rich, both big companies in business since the 60's...gone!
    The owner of Rich gave we a tour of the factory. The argon gas in between is injected as a liquid and in a few seconds it evaporates, disappears inside.
    Good post

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom