• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Here's the story:

A friend's father passed away. He inherited a Winchester Model 69A. It is so old as to be unserialized. He has given the rifle to me.
    I am storing it in my safe for him until I work out the proper legal method of transfer.

I'm really excited to have this piece. I need a .22 for the Appleseed program at AAF&G. The exact model is the center rifle in this image:

The front sight is this globe type of sight. It appears to be a competition model? Any information that can be provided about this piece would be greatly appreciated.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Transfer at FFL , same as any other long gun .
    OK. My friend inherited it from his father, who passed away. There is no paperwork about this and the rifle is unserialized. There's no chain of custody, no proof that my friend even legally owns the rifle to transfer it to me.

I'm guessing this isn't a problem? I'm sort of looking at this from a "vehicle title" point of view, which may not be the right way to think about it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    S/N on rifles and shotguns were not required until 1968 .

FFL see them all the time . They record the Make . Model , and Caliber/ gage , and put NSN for the blank for S/N , as per ATF directives and long standing practice .

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ….Any information that can be provided about this piece would be greatly appreciated.

Collectors’ forums are always good places to start …: https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-22-rim-fire/Model+69A+info/

Try also RimfireCentral.com

Obtaining extra sacrificial parts (I.e., firing pin, extractor, etc.) NOW WHILE YOU CAN FIND THEM is a No-Brainer so …

PARTS: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/winchester/rifles-win/69a-win

PARTS as well as A Manual on the Disassembly of Winchester 69, 69A and 697 bolt .22 rifles, with tips on Gunsmithing and the reassembly process With Color Photographs...: https://homesteadparts.com/shop/winchester-model-69a-c-1_146.html
    356A252B-B9F3-4000-AAFF-4CFF3AE0A664.jpeg

Last edited:

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    S/N on rifles and shotguns were not required until 1968 .

FFL see them all the time . They record the Make . Model , and Caliber/ gage , and put NSN for the blank for S/N , as per ATF directives and long standing practice .
    Great, thanks very much. The fellow who I'm storing this rifle for lives in Albany, NY. He visits his mother here on a regular basis so I'll make sure to set up something down at Angler's for a transfer.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Ok, so I took this Win 69A to the range today.

I've learned that it is the match/competition model with Lyman 57EW rear peep sight and a globe front sight that allows you to unscrew and insert different types of posts and circles inside the globe.

I'm laughing my azz off because I managed to sight it in and hit some bullseyes...before I realized that the sights are missing parts! The flat disc with the tiny peephole is missing (I now see the threads where it screws into the Lyman rear sight assembly) and the front globe is missing any kind of post!

I think I'll be forced to buy an entire 57EW. I don't think the little disc is sold separately anywhere.
    I *think* the front sight is also by Lyman and they sell the various posts and doo-dads that screw into the globe. I found their website and I'll need to call them an ask if they still sell these inserts for old products.

If anyone has a lead on this stuff for me, I'd be grateful.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Have you looked around on rimfirecentral.com? They have some detailed posts on those types of rifles and sights.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Hey, @Russ D I just found them. From there, I was able to discover exactly which front globe sight I have, so I ordered the inserts. I also found a guy on eBay selling just the aperture for the Lyman sights, so I'm buying a couple to experiment with. (Different size peep holes)

Thanks!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If he gave it to you pre-March 2021, you are just late on the payment.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    that is awesome!! I got an older Savage 6A from like the late 30's or early 40's from my biological father a few years back. It is in excellent shape. It shows Utica on the barrel- prior to their move to Conn. Shoots better than I shoot. :) Tube fed.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I just bought a 69a, match model like you have. Mine is complete and in great shape. I'll post a pic or two tomorrow. I have the big brother model 75 also. Sold the bigger brother, an early model 52 a couple months ago.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I just bought a 69a, match model like you have. Mine is complete and in great shape. I'll post a pic or two tomorrow. I have the big brother model 75 also. Sold the bigger brother, an early model 52 a couple months ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20230315_165628318.jpg
      IMG_20230315_165628318.jpg
      615.2 KB · Views: 55
    • IMG_20230315_165614543.jpg
      IMG_20230315_165614543.jpg
      650 KB · Views: 54
    • IMG_20230315_165618199.jpg
      IMG_20230315_165618199.jpg
      707.8 KB · Views: 52

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Does yours have sling swivels? The bolt handle on the early models are straight and later handles are curved. Hope you find all you need to complete. Really handy rifle.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Hey, @Russ D I just found them. From there, I was able to discover exactly which front globe sight I have, so I ordered the inserts. I also found a guy on eBay selling just the aperture for the Lyman sights, so I'm buying a couple to experiment with. (Different size peep holes)

Thanks!
    Merit makes an adjustable iris peep but more important they have a table that lists the thread size for your gun.

An adjustable iris is the bees knees because you can infinitely dial the best size for the light conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom