• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    I have a couple new 47D 8 rnd mags that I am having an issue with on my SA 1911. They lock the slide back when the mag is empty but then it takes considerable force to release the slide when pressing on the release. The 3 factory SA 7 rounders I have do not have this issue. The 1 new factory mag I got did not take a lot of force to release the lock when new. Any ideas? Just a tight new spring?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Possibly just because they're new, I personally prefer the slingshot method versus using the release, but to each their own.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Its normal. Dont bear down on them with the slide stop when empty, doing so will peen the polymer follower and lead to issues with the slide not locking back on the last round.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Its normal. Dont bear down on them with the slide stop when empty, doing so will peen the polymer follower and lead to issues with the slide not locking back on the last round.

Shouldn't you also not drop the slide on a 1911 with an empty chamber anyways?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Shouldn't you also not drop the slide on a 1911 with an empty chamber anyways?

If you are pulling the trigger to the rear its fine to drop the slide because its disconnected, otherwise is can cause some wear on a tuned Fire Control Group. The problem with pulling the trigger while dropping the slide, is its a safety rule violation unless the weapon is pointed at a legible target area.

You have to drop the slide when doing internal work to see the weapon has hammer follow. Its just not something you should do a ton of.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

This. I find the same thing with my Chip McCormick power mags. I consider it a nice feature, it does more to ensure your slide does lock when empty. Some people dimple the rear of their slide catch so that the detent has something to grab onto during the firing cycle, so it doesn't pivot upwards and lock when the mag still has rounds of it. A stronger magazine spring will ensure this doesn't work against you and stay down when it should pop up to lock when empty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom