Will the New York ruling ever take place in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeofMD

May 14, 2016
    MoCO
    I don't post often. I live in Montgomery county, right in the middle of the blue. When I walk my dog here, I often run into gangs. Some good, some not so friendly toward my dog that barks a lot. That's why I take him out at night. There have been things that bother me to the point where having some backup would make me feel better.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It should be taken seriously and quickly in MD to comply with the SCOTUS decision. But I believe MD will fight it all the way either by ignoring it or putting so many roadblocks (regulatory and financial) in front of anyone trying to carry legally that it will take lawsuits to force the state into complying.

Just my opinion.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I don't post often. I live in Montgomery county, right in the middle of the blue. When I walk my dog here, I often run into gangs. Some good, some not so friendly toward my dog that barks a lot. That's why I take him out at night. There have been things that bother me to the point where having some backup would make me feel better.
    I've been walking my dogs through downtown Silver Spring, Takoma and DC after midnight for several years.

In that time, I've had two occasions where I was tempted to draw my pepper gel dispenser. The first time, the guy who decided to follow us through Blair Park changed course when he saw what I had done. The second time, the guy was just a nut case, and went away after a while:

NC: Do you have sex with your dog?
    BA: No, Do you?
    NC: I don't have a dog.
    BA: Lucky for the dog.
    NC: (exit, stage right)

One of my dogs is pretty passive; the other is hyper-vigilant, and will bark at people she doesn't trust. I've never been able to guess which one will get a bark; I suspect she senses fear and assumes the worst. Both dogs look pretty tough, so I'm not surprised that I don't have many issues. Good thing, because the dogs would lick you to death. I pass by a fair number of lively night spots; the Hispanic guys outside love to play with my dogs.

Between a 1000 lumen flashlight and the pepper gel, I don't feel that a firearm is necessary, but once I get a permit, I'll certainly be carrying.

MikeofMD

May 14, 2016
    MoCO
    Citizens with businesses is a great thing that they're armed. Costs are probably a lot. What would it cost just an average citizen to carry a gun for self defense, for no other reason than to feel safer? Will new new Supreme Court decision have repercussions throughout the US?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Will new new Supreme Court decision have repercussions throughout the US?

It sure will. You can count on every Democrat run jurisdiction to either ignore the ruling or put in place any and all impediments to your exercising of your rights.

This fight isn't over...it's just entered a new phase. As Churchill said after the Battle of Britain...

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Citizens with businesses is a great thing that they're armed. Costs are probably a lot. What would it cost just an average citizen to carry a gun for self defense, for no other reason than to feel safer? Will new new Supreme Court decision have repercussions throughout the US?
    The cost depends on some factors. Do you currently own a handgun?

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    NY ruling applies to Maryland (and NJ, Del, Cali, Hawaii, Mass)

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Between a 1000 lumen flashlight and the pepper gel, I don't feel that a firearm is necessary, but once I get a permit, I'll certainly be carrying.
    That seems like a very contradictory statement, if you don't feel it's necessary, why would you "certainly be carrying"? Do you suddenly no longer feel a 1000 lumen flashlight and Pepper Gel are enough?

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    That seems like a very contradictory statement, if you don't feel it's necessary, why would you "certainly be carrying"? Do you suddenly no longer feel a 1000 lumen flashlight and Pepper Gel are enough?
    Not the guy you're replying to, but there's a difference between the odds and the stakes. Odds are a 1000 lumen light and pepper gel are enough for anything he runs into and he won't ever need a firearm (as the statistics indicate.) However, the stakes being your life would make it prudent to carry if you can just in case the unlikely happens.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Not the guy you're replying to, but there's a difference between the odds and the stakes. Odds are a 1000 lumen light and pepper gel are enough for anything he runs into and he won't ever need a firearm (as the statistics indicate.) However, the stakes being your life would make it prudent to carry if you can just in case the unlikely happens.
    Thank you. That sums it up nicely.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Indeed. Understanding occurrence risk and consequence risk are both important.

As far as not ever needing a firearm, the stats do not show that. there are a couple million crimes prevented by lawful gun owners a year. So over your life, it may only be 25%-50% chance that you or yours can be protected from a crime with a firearm, but those are actually pretty strong occurrence odds.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Pepper spray is great. But the vast majority of people don't practice with it, not even once. Same with flashlights. And the vast majority don't know the very different deployment methods one uses with gel vs aerosol.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    All risks should be evaluated at the intersection of risk probability (likelihood of a risk occurring) and risk impact (cost should the risk occur). A high score for ether tends to drive the overall risk rating score (probability X impact) towards a greater treatment by the at risk party. Plenty of good risk rating matrices out there on the web to accommodate ones own risk appetite (willingness to accept risk). For the topic at hand, impact will likely be doing much of the driving.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I walk my dog late at night too, but pretty safe where I am. Wolf is very protective of me and can sense if something is off with a person. But mainly he doesn't like other dogs...and foxes lol. Foxes are a problem at night. All the dog needs is a whiff. He is indeed my "Baltimore open carry". Thankfully I don't live in Baltimorgue anymore.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    With Woolard still controlling in CA4, believe a new case citing NYSRPA will be needed
    MSI already has filed a legal challenge: Call v Jones III

Case is being held by the Fourth Circuit pending the outcome of NYSRPA v. Bruen

krucam

Ultimate Member
    MSI already has filed a legal challenge: Call v Jones III

Case is being held by the Fourth Circuit pending the outcome of NYSRPA v. Bruen
    Is that recent? May have missed that…

Bourbonstamps

Dec 23, 2015
    it should be close to immediate. every application denied for lack of G&S is a potential lawsuit against the state

MikeofMD

May 14, 2016
    MoCO
    Any gun owner that will carry a gun really should already have had good training. And in our travels, (dog walking, etc) that gun should be at the forefront of our mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom