Will the New York ruling ever take place in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Lol. What if the sky fell and a piece of it landing on your head?
    Then I'd no longer have to worry about MD's maliciously complex gun control laws. I'd also never have to sit through another House Judiciary or Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee hearing on more pointless, counterproductive gun laws. That alone would be worth some blunt force trauma.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    So marylands law says after 90 days if you have not received a decision you can then petition the court to have a hearing.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    First armed security guard I see at any of these places I'm calling the police and reporting a person with a firearm. Remember that private, armed security guards need to follow CCW rules as well. Same with judges and politicians - so carrying at court could be problematic. Now this is important because when you challenge the laws, put a few judges on the stand and ask them if they carry in court and if they are treated differently than other members of the public. Let California put all the places it wants - they don't realize the can of worms they are opening.

Banks are on California's list. So now every bank cannot have an armed security guard. Similarly, armored car drivers carrying money can't carry their weapons into a bank. Make it enough of a pain in the @$$ and they will change the law.
    They would change the law to exempt judges, licensed security officers, etc. I still think SCOTUS will smack down this BS. This is just a way for these 7 states that just got a smack down, to try and rebel. So, instead of an open hand to the bottom, I hope SCOTUS uses a belt.

Maryland's war on crime has sucked the entire time I have been alive (i.e., 50 years) and the terrible laws they have passed to try and reduce crime have only infringed on our freedoms and not solved crime.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    They need to make sure that my great aunt Tildy can exercise her right to self defense from her wheel chair and on her fixed income budget.

She can exercise her other Rights, such as voting, travel, etc. It's time to make it right.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Buddy of mine is in a wheelchair, he and I just signed up for our class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't know the answer to that question but I could see them saying they're deciding the budgetary aspect to make it as punitive as possible.

It's definitely supposed to be for * single issue * . Even IF it were supposed to be " budgetary " , the definition can be stretched to virtually anything . The state would collect application fees , and LD staffing will need to be expanded , both are budgetary .

That said , I'd still be surprised for a Special Session over this . My prediction is their current Plan A is to drag their feet , and play the " oh gosh , we're backlogged , you'll have to be patient " like they did in 2012 with the 365 .

Yeah , yeah , they " can't " do that , MSI will take them to Court over that , etc . But their goal will be to stall until MGA session .

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Yeah , yeah , they " can't " do that , MSI will take them to Court over that , etc . But their goal will be to stall until MGA session .
    Exactly. But we do have a hope in that there will be legal actions in 7 other states, too, and if one of those hits the injunctive jackpot quickly, it may force Maryland into faster action. NY and CA's overt flouting of the decision should buy them fast and hard injunctive slapdowns.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Attached is the schedule for Eric Call v. Woodrow Jones III case before the 4th Circuit CA. Looks like an August 3 hearing date. Hopefully, there can be an enforcement order at that time if Hogan decides not to step up and resolve this matter beforehand.
    Per an AG opinion, back in 2014, Hogan has no authority to tell the Secretary of MSP how to do his job.

We have a Republican Delegate from Southern Maryland to thank for asking the AG for said opinion on wether Hogan could instruct the Secretary to accept personal protection as G&S.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Per an AG opinion, back in 2014, Hogan has no authority to tell the Secretary of MSP how to do his job.

We have a Republican Delegate from Southern Maryland to thank for asking the AG for said opinion on wether Hogan could instruct the Secretary to accept personal protection as G&S.
    A mere suggestion to the MSP Secretary before the MSP Secretary receives a request for his resignation at which time his golden parachute fails to open.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    MD Code, Public Safety, § 2-202
    Formerly cited as MD CODE Art. 88B, § 14
    § 2-202. Secretary
    Currentness
    Appointment
    (a) The Governor shall appoint the Secretary of State Police with the advice and consent of the Senate.
    Qualifications
    (b)(1) The appointee shall be a citizen of the United States.
    (2) The appointee shall be qualified on the basis of training, experience, and ability to discharge the duties of the Secretary.
    Term
    (c) The Secretary serves at the pleasure of the Governor.
    Salary
    (d) The Secretary is entitled to the salary provided in the State budget.
    Duties
    (e)(1) The Secretary shall supervise and direct the affairs and operations of the Department.
    (2) The Secretary is responsible for carrying out the Governor's policies with respect to those matters specified in Titles 2, 4, 5, 11, and 14 of this article.
    (3) The Secretary shall report to the Governor.

Credits​

Added by Acts 2003, c. 5, § 2, eff. Oct. 1, 2003.

MD Code, Public Safety, § 2-202, MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 2-202
    Current through legislation effective through June 1, 2022, from the 2022 Regular Session of the General Assembly. Some statute sections may be more current, see credits for details.

Froshs opinion is trash.
    Title 5 is about firearms. Hogan can do whatever he wants.

Reference:
    https://govt.westlaw.com/mdc/Docume...ype=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Fat **** Larry is just as big of shit as Frosh.

But it’s not Frosh responsibility.

It’s Larry and the Secretary both whom are the responsible parties.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Frosh's opinion is invariably "I AM THE LAW!"

My opinion: The Law is an A$$.

The only problem with megalomaniac delusions of grandeur is that some others will believe them, especially if it works to their advantage.

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    Governor Douche did a nice job of neuterin this. That’s probably what would happen here :sad20:

All of this is going to be thrown out in short order. Judge Thomas spelled it out for the lower courts to handle this, and handle it quickly.

No more waiting 10 years for the case to get all the way back to the SC

Was just on Reddit r/nyguns and a lawsuit is being filed already to get this ******** thrown out

MikeofMD

May 14, 2016
    MoCO
    I didn't realize this post would be so complicated. Lets just vote for the best folks in November and hope for the best. The court opinion has affected NY only, as far as I know. If we can arm ourselves for our own protection, who knows where or how far the physical crime problem will decline.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    I didn't realize this post would be so complicated. Lets just vote for the best folks in November and hope for the best. The court opinion has affected NY only, as far as I know. If we can arm ourselves for our own protection, who knows where or how far the physical crime problem will decline.
    You're seriously behind

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Okay, I'll recap since you're new on MDS. There is already a case challenging MD's equivalent law, Call v Jones, that was on hold at 4CA pending the Bruen decision. That case is now moving forward, with briefs scheduled for September. That case will force MD to comply with the SCOTUS Bruen ruling. See here:
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/counselor-s-corner/call-v-jones

MSI has also filed a separate case in Baltimore County Circuit Court with a request for summary judgement:
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/documents?task=download.send&id=355&catid=4&m=0

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    September is rediculous.
    Court time is like geologic time, not dog years. Nothing moves quickly. September is lightning quick. It's not unusual for simple contract dispute cases to run on for several years. The NY law SCOTUS overturned was passed in 1911 and it's taken until 2022 for SCOTUS to hold it as unconstitutional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom