Will the new NICs check requirement be the end of FFL03 to FFL03 sales?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I just had an FFL-03 refuse to sell/ship a Type 38 Arisaka to me because of the "new" requirements. I'm trying to convince him to send it through an FFL-01 at the sellers end (cheaper than the going rate locally).

Thoughts - are FFL-03s going to become dependent on FFL-01s?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I just had an FFL-03 refuse to sell/ship a Type 38 Arisaka to me because of the "new" requirements. I'm trying to convince him to send it through an FFL-01 at the sellers end (cheaper than the going rate locally).

Thoughts - are FFL-03s going to become dependent on FFL-01s?

If they are then wtf is the point of an ffl03?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    IT-HAS-BEGUN!!! :sad20:

National B.G.O.S.

That is exactly right.

No changes, no new rules, nothing.

Just a reminder that anyone "engaging in the business" (which has always been subject to interpretation) needs an 01 FFL.

03 FFLs have always known that.

There are no new NICS checks. Nothing new at all.

Just a huge epidemic of National BGOS, in which we ourselves invent new ways to infringe on our own rights.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    And a rash of gun stores all making up their own rules, just to be "extra safe". Like not releasing after 7 days until not disapproved. That was upwards of 6 months in some cases.

How will shops handle the no NICS required for CCW holders for sales? (where applicable)

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    There's no doubt in my mind it's an empty sh*t storm intentionally stirred up by Obummer that will result in reinterpretation, panic and confusion on so many levels. He will say it's about common sense. But at the end of the day it's about removing firearms from his "ideal society" - one small spoonful of sh*t at a time.
    :mad54:

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    There's no doubt in my mind it's an empty sh*t storm intentionally stirred up by Obummer that will result in reinterpretation, panic and confusion on so many levels. He will say it's about common sense. But at the end of the day it's about removing firearms from his "ideal society" - one small spoonful of sh*t at a time.
    :mad54:

I have a bad feeling about this one too (NICS check).

Anyone notice that the White House press release stated:

"But it is important to note that even a few transactions, when combined with other evidence, can be sufficient to establish that a person is “engaged in the business.” For example, courts have upheld convictions for dealing without a license when as few as two firearms were sold or when only one or two transactions took place, when other factors also were present."

Two happens to be the same number of rifles "sold" to the San Bernardino terrorists by the neighbor. I, unfortunately, think this will apply to all private sales at some point.

Edit: I think that guy is being charged with straw purchase (x2) though. Maybe this is why?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I think that 03 FFLs who move skads of guns openly over Gunbroker and such sites may have problems when they get around to trying to put teeth in the "Presidential," and I use that term with no respect intended, over-reach.

They would be very hard pressed to prove someone was in business only selling a few guns a year, and the clarification above about "their" definition do what constitutes business us just a scare tactic, and ya know what, it's working.....unfortunately.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I think that 03 FFLs who move skads of guns openly over Gunbroker and such sites may have problems when they get around to trying to put teeth in the "Presidential," and I use that term with no respect intended, over-reach.

They would be very hard pressed to prove someone was in business only selling a few guns a year, and the clarification above about "their" definition do what constitutes business us just a scare tactic, and ya know what, it's working.....unfortunately.

Yup. Lawful gun owners scare pretty easily in general.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    It's not a business, it's a hobby building a historic collection. Keep that in top-of-mind awareness.

The sheer stupidity of this all is that one of the main objectives is to close the so-called "gun show loophole" by requiring sellers to be licensed, but the file below (BATFE license application) show that you aren't allowed to do this.

You'd think that, with all the smart staffers Obama has gathered around him, someone might have looked at that part of the picture, too, and made an adjustment.

On a related note, here's BATFE says about "engaging in business".

Section 923(a), Title 18, U.S.C., provides that no person shall engage in the business of dealing in firearms until he has filed an application and received a license to do so. Section 922(a)(1), Title 18, U.S.C., provides that it is unlawful for any person, other than a licensee, to engage in the business of dealing in firearms. Licensees generally may not conduct business away from their licensed premises.

The term “dealer” is defined at 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(11)(A) to include any person engaged in the business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail. The term “engaged in the business” as applied to a dealer in firearms means a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms. A dealer can be “engaged in the business” without taking title to the firearms that are sold.

However, the term does not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms.

18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(21)(C).

Attachments

• License_Form_Items.jpg
      License_Form_Items.jpg
      13.4 KB · Views: 297

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    The sheer stupidity of this all is that one of the main objectives is to close the so-called "gun show loophole" by requiring sellers to be licensed, but the file below (BATFE license application) show that you aren't allowed to do this.

I heard a talking head yesterday on the NPR News saying that Slick Willy (Mr. Clinton) added that piece to force about 200,000 dealers to lose their FFLs in the 90's. Obama's speech was a 180 degree reversal from the Clinton initiative if taken at face value.

There are about a dozen other threads on the proposed EO's, so let's not get too bogged down on this here. My skeptical belief is that regardless of what Obama said, they aren't going to change the current ATF licensing to allow internet and gun show only dealers to become FFL-01s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom