• No

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    What possible reason could a solid majority of legislators who absolutely hate us and everything we stand for have to back off from a law designed out of spite to specifically make our lives riskier and more troubled? Of course it will pass. It vilifies and inconveniences us, adding the prospect of trivially getting people like us prohibited for life. There isn’t a question of it passing.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    What possible reason could a solid majority of legislators who absolutely hate us and everything we stand for have to back off from a law designed out of spite to specifically make our lives riskier and more troubled? Of course it will pass. It vilifies and inconveniences us, adding the prospect of trivially getting people like us prohibited for life. There isn’t a question of it passing.
    Yep, could'nt agree more !

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Not only SB1, wait until you see some of the other lefty crap that they are going to pass and our communist governor will gleefully sign.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They can show they are doing something. At least in the house committee, those with expressed reservations or problems with the bill that were not addressed in amendments resulted in the bill having less than a plurality of support. Not a chance it'll be amended to actually make all of the democrats happy tomorrow.

But it does not have remotely the kind of support as written I think you think it has. Some of them want it passed to punish gun owners. Some want it passed because they think it'll do something. Some need to vote yes because they are being told to vote yes. The first and last group mostly don't think it'll do anything. And the last group at least probably would prefer it fails.

Mixed into that is the group that overlaps all three of those, who think it'll probably fail in the courts. Some of them legitimately don't want to pass legislation that they think the courts are likely to strike down.

I think it is more likely than not it will still pass.

It's a question of which legislators who are dems think this is a bad idea and would rather either "get this right" or think this bill is just a bad idea and a do nothing bill (some I think believe it'll actually cause more harm than good, like Delegate Young, but are being told to vote for it anyway). So tying it up in a conference committee that never agrees and it fails at Sine Die would likely make a number of Democrats happy and they can ALL go home to their constituents and say, "see. I voted to make you safer. I tried. But it wasn't me who couldn't get it across the finish line. It got tied up in politics at the last minute. We are going to try harder next year. Remember to vote for me, I am pushing measures to keep you safer!"

If they passed it, they couldn't then try again next year. They'd have to move on to something else.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Of course it will pass. Much like the anti police bills from two years ago, this was a done deal before they ever introduced the actual text.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Maybe they will bicker amongst themselves because it isn't restrive enough and it is too restrictive and time will expire. They can then blame everyone else for not being able to do something and they don't sued, well, at least not for this.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    They can show they are doing something. At least in the house committee, those with expressed reservations or problems with the bill that were not addressed in amendments resulted in the bill having less than a plurality of support. Not a chance it'll be amended to actually make all of the democrats happy tomorrow.

But it does not have remotely the kind of support as written I think you think it has. Some of them want it passed to punish gun owners. Some want it passed because they think it'll do something. Some need to vote yes because they are being told to vote yes. The first and last group mostly don't think it'll do anything. And the last group at least probably would prefer it fails.

Mixed into that is the group that overlaps all three of those, who think it'll probably fail in the courts. Some of them legitimately don't want to pass legislation that they think the courts are likely to strike down.

I think it is more likely than not it will still pass.

It's a question of which legislators who are dems think this is a bad idea and would rather either "get this right" or think this bill is just a bad idea and a do nothing bill (some I think believe it'll actually cause more harm than good, like Delegate Young, but are being told to vote for it anyway). So tying it up in a conference committee that never agrees and it fails at Sine Die would likely make a number of Democrats happy and they can ALL go home to their constituents and say, "see. I voted to make you safer. I tried. But it wasn't me who couldn't get it across the finish line. It got tied up in politics at the last minute. We are going to try harder next year. Remember to vote for me, I am pushing measures to keep you safer!"

If they passed it, they couldn't then try again next year. They'd have to move on to something else.
    Well thought out post, but when things get to this stage it's really leadership that decides if they want to squeeze this through or not.

If leadership decides they have to have this, they will whip up their caucus and force them to vote for this. A few will be allowed to vote no, we've seen it all before.

The fact that it lingers until sine die is good, leaves the door open for a mistake or maybe leadership has different last-minute priorities.

Like I said, we've seen it all before. Anything can happen at this point.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well thought out post, but when things get to this stage it's really leadership that decides if they want to squeeze this through or not.

If leadership decides they have to have this, they will whip up their caucus and force them to vote for this. A few will be allowed to vote no, we've seen it all before.

The fact that it lingers until sine die is good, leaves the door open for a mistake or maybe leadership has different last-minute priorities.

Like I said, we've seen it all before. Anything can happen at this point.
    I don’t think they’ve shoved through the cannabis legalization framework so far as I am aware. I’d think that’d be a bigger priority for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom