• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just because something is made in China doesn't make it crap. Almost all cellular phones are manufactured in China.

From reading the reviews they seem to be great value for $100.
    I believe they are assembled in Chyna, which opens the door to many Sig Romeos(in general) to be knock-offs often.

I have bought knock-off Romeo 5s. They are out there. Stay away from Ebay and probably Amazon as well.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    China and stealing tens of millions in R&D from manufacturers that came first.
    Except, in most cases, they lack the internal technology that comes with the real thing(s).. That's the big problem with Chynese Knock-offs. They are inferior to the authentic products.

One reason I'm not super worried about going up against PRoC in a war. All their shit is made in Chyna!

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Right? Not unlike those crappy Japanese econo boxes that made it to our shores in the 70s (80s?). They've come a long way baby...
    Blame our politicians from post WWII japan, they leveled the country and then gave them money to re-build, modernize, and become an industrial power house, the irony being they are a resource poor country.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Except, in most cases, they lack the internal technology that comes with the real thing(s).. That's the big problem with Chynese Knock-offs. They are inferior to the authentic products.

One reason I'm not super worried about going up against PRoC in a war. All their shit is made in Chyna!
    What worries me is the billions in crap they are making huge margins on are going into their military. So quality is therefore affordable.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I use all sorts of high cameras, lighting equipment, data storage hardware, drones, and more in every day working life. Virtually all if it is made in part or entirely in China, or with sub-systems made there. There is essentially ZERO domestic competition for that stuff, and if there was, it would be a lot more expensive. I'm fine with more expensive if it's a good product and made here. But I don't have a choice. Even the expensive fancy pants Euro lighting gear is largely made in China. I'm about to plunk down $5k on a new pro Nikon camera body ... Japan, right? No, certainly not entirely.

What's maddening, of course, is that stuff like drones and camera gimbals from Chinese companies like DJI are REALLY good equipment. They're not knocking off something made in the US when they make and sell that stuff. If you're willing to pay pro-level prices, they're willing to make pro-level equipment that has no rivals from elsewhere. If they were strictly in the knock-off business that would be another thing. But that's too broad a brush to paint with. Still, I'd truly love to spend my thousands and thousands of hardware dollars in the US. I can't, it's not possible.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Blame our politicians from post WWII japan, they leveled the country and then gave them money to re-build, modernize, and become an industrial power house, the irony being they are a resource poor country.
    Respectfully, those post WWII factories were already built in the 70/80s. But yes, the "irony" of the U.S. building modern facilities in Japan all the while allowing Detroit, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, et al to crumble is not lost on me.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I agree, and I well remember when I first saw them at gun shows a few years back (gosh, how long have they been on the US market, 8-10 years now?)
    I wonder how far away the Sig Optic and Holosun production lines are?
    Sig's production line is in Oregon. Huanic/Holosun is in China. They are pretty far from each other, to say the least.

The Sig/Holosun connection is vastly overstated for the assembled-in-the-USA stuff, and will continue to decrease as Sig wins more government contracts.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Sig's production line is in Oregon. Huanic/Holosun is in China. They are pretty far from each other, to say the least.

The Sig/Holosun connection is vastly overstated for the assembled-in-the-USA stuff, and will continue to decrease as Sig wins more government contracts.
    I am guilty of spreading internet myths then, I really, REALLY thought Sig optics = China! I am impressed with some of their stuff, the littl red dot they stuck on their P365 package guns NOT being one of them.
    On the other hand, the very first Holosun I saw in use failed miserably with a rotary switch that died on day one. Obviously, they have upped their game too.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am guilty of spreading internet myths then, I really, REALLY thought Sig optics = China! I am impressed with some of their stuff, the littl red dot they stuck on their P365 package guns NOT being one of them.
    On the other hand, the very first Holosun I saw in use failed miserably with a rotary switch that died on day one. Obviously, they have upped their game too.
    Yeah, the RomeoZero is a made-in-the-USA piece of garbage (they're all made in Oregon on an automated assembly line). I run the Holosun 407K or 507K on any guns that need an optic with that footprint.

I've broken a couple of HE510C-GRs through hard use on PCCs, but then again, I've also busted optics from Sig, Leupold, and Trijicon, so no hard feelings. I am currently enjoying the big window Nutrek Lance sights (Viridian RFX-35 / Vector Frenzy SCRD-36), but the brightness doesn't match up to Holosun's (IMHO).

I'm not going to say you shouldn't try to buy US-made or US-assembled when possible, but we live in a globalized world, and sometimes, the best value solution just isn't made here.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

Hmmm...

Attachments

• 1670270629201.png
      1670270629201.png
      467.5 KB · Views: 96

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

Here is a cool link. It looks like some of the SIg lineup is made in the USA and some of the cheaper models like the Romeo 5 are made in China by Huanic who makes Holosun. Who knew? Probably why the Romeo 4 Is 3-4X more than the 5.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

Aimpoint sued the heck out of Holosun for stealing their tech and also build specs. I am not sure what came of it honestly, but some of these $300 holosuns are proving to be every bit as tough and reliable as RDS's costing 2-3 times as much.

I am all for competition as it creates value for the consumer, but stealing tech is kind of shady. I fully realize when spending $800 on an aimpoint, that a very healthy chunk of that is the R&D (and also fair wages) that goes into it.

19smiller

Nov 11, 2021
    Almost all optic companies have different levels of optics (budget, high end, etc) and each line of their products is made somewhere different. I have a Sig Whiskey rifle scope that was made in the Philippines (I believe). I don’t knock the quality of something just because if it’s origin, but I do judge the company on their priorities when they maximize profit at the cost of cheap labor. I am also typing this on my iPhone and have plenty of “Made in China” things because sometimes there isn’t much choice (Christmas lights, haha) But I do try to make the effort to look at what my purchases may be supporting and see if there are alternatives. The Romeo7 is probably a decent optic for the price, and as long as you purchase one from a reputable source (like others have said, not eBay/amazon) then you will likely be happy with it or have a decent return policy.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Aimpoint sued the heck out of Holosun for stealing their tech and also build specs. I am not sure what came of it honestly, but some of these $300 holosuns are proving to be every bit as tough and reliable as RDS's costing 2-3 times as much.

I am all for competition as it creates value for the consumer, but stealing tech is kind of shady. I fully realize when spending $800 on an aimpoint, that a very healthy chunk of that is the R&D (and also fair wages) that goes into it.
    I got got no problem with competition either, but in most cases, forgeries have everything but technology. It is nothing but fraud. You see some copyright protection out there(in the gun accessory world, at least) when they are selling forgery items as "Airsoft". No doubt some have gotten the message.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You are probably thinking of the Trijicon lawsuit. The "stolen tech" was the button layout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom