• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    Took my daughter fishing at a pond a couple nights ago. This guy was quizzing me on what I was doing and kept trying to get me to let my daughter try his rig so she could catch a fish. “Thanks bud, we’re good.” After 45 minutes of watching him help little kids around the pond catch fish within 10 seconds of putting the hook in the water over and over and my daughter and I getting skunked, I came up to him and said, “alright you obviously know a lot. What am I doing wrong?” He gave me a few tips.

Tonight I took my son and daughter to the pond. The boy caught 13 fish and my daughter got 4. I was constantly helping the kids with worms and taking fish off the line and only had my pole in the water for 5 minutes.

-Thank you stranger. You took me from zero to hero. Look how excited she looks!
    What were the tips? I take my kids out and sometimes we get fish sometimes we don't. I always feel like I'm just trying random things to find something that works. We seem to do much better surf fishing but ponds and lakes are what's around here.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    My son with his 1st king salmon. He caught it on Sunday, while we were in Alaska. It was 1/2” shy of being a keeper, but he was still excited.
    IMG_0472.jpeg

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Sweet. Congrats to the young man.
    I’ll let him know!
    I’d be happy with that. The picture looks like he’s standing in front of a painting.
    Now that you said that, I looked at the picture again, and it does look like a painting! I can assure you it’s not, but that is kinda cool.
    Very beautiful place. We spent the last 11 days in Alaska. I will definitely be returning again!

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    What were the tips? I take my kids out and sometimes we get fish sometimes we don't. I always feel like I'm just trying random things to find something that works. We seem to do much better surf fishing but ponds and lakes are what's around here.
    The pond was filled with bluegill fish. I was using a #6 hook and Canadian night crawlers. He told me to step down to a #8 hook and use regular garden worms. The night crawlers were too fat and the would get nibbled off the hook in pieces. Lastly I was putting too much worm on the hook. He was cutting off about 1/2” or less and fitting the worm on the hook like a sock on a foot, so a thinner worm, and a hook that was buried with a worm did the trick.

It honestly was like a cheating. Lol
    I felt really dumb for not figuring that out.

As long as the fish are biting, this will pull them in.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The pond was filled with bluegill fish. I was using a #6 hook and Canadian night crawlers. He told me to step down to a #8 hook and use regular garden worms. The night crawlers were too fat and the would get nibbled off the hook in pieces. Lastly I was putting too much worm on the hook. He was cutting off about 1/2” or less and fitting the worm on the hook like a sock on a foot, so a thinner worm, and a hook that was buried with a worm did the trick.

Gotta "match the hatch".

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Day 1 Fly fishing in Montana with my father in law. Waded the Gallitan today. We lost count of how many fish we caught, but it was at least 30+.

Attachments

• 20230609_133025.jpg
      20230609_133025.jpg
      566.4 KB · Views: 56
    • 20230609_092841.jpg
      20230609_092841.jpg
      339.8 KB · Views: 57
    • 20230609_095129.jpg
      20230609_095129.jpg
      544.5 KB · Views: 53
    • 20230609_092839.jpg
      20230609_092839.jpg
      375.9 KB · Views: 55
    • 20230609_084817.jpg
      20230609_084817.jpg
      466.5 KB · Views: 58

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Went surf fishing with my BIL in DE on Wednesday night into Thurs morning. 15 hours straight. Between the skate and horseshoe crabs, we were busy with all the wrong stuff. We managed to catch a 19" Bluefish and a Kingfish and this unique critter. It took me quite a while to find out what it was. Appears to be a Spotted Hake

Attachments

• IMG_3424.jpg
      IMG_3424.jpg
      33 KB · Views: 61
    • IMG_3426.jpg
      IMG_3426.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 61
    • IMG_3425.jpg
      IMG_3425.jpg
      33 KB · Views: 60

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Day 1 Fly fishing in Montana with my father in law. Waded the Gallitan today. We lost count of how many fish we caught, but it was at least 30+.
    Looks fun,,
    Every time I go to WY,, it takes me a week or to to shake the "WTF am I going back to Maryland for" ?

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia

Thank you! #6s and nightcrawlers have been pretty much what we've been using with limited success.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Went fishing on the Severn River this morning. We caught lots of white perch in the shallows and around the docks. Didn't see a lot of grass yet. Most of the perch were very nice sized. We had to get off the water around noon. Way to much boat traffic. The waves and chop were crazy. I kind of expected it for a Saturday this time of year. And it was really nice out except a bit windy. The wind and the waves from the boats made it to hard to fish. Lots of crabbers out but I don't think most were doing very well. Smith marina was a zoo. Took 1/2 hour to get the boat back on the trailer. That place is making big $$$. They are charging $25 to use the ramp on weekends. Didn't deter anyone.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Went fishing on the Severn River this morning. We caught lots of white perch in the shallows and around the docks. Didn't see a lot of grass yet. Most of the perch were very nice sized. We had to get off the water around noon. Way to much boat traffic. The waves and chop were crazy. I kind of expected it for a Saturday this time of year. And it was really nice out except a bit windy. The wind and the waves from the boats made it to hard to fish. Lots of crabbers out but I don't think most were doing very well. Smith marina was a zoo. Took 1/2 hour to get the boat back on the trailer. That place is making big $$$. They are charging $25 to use the ramp on weekends. Didn't deter anyone.
    I remember when I fished the lower Potomac(from DC on down), I'd usually try to be off the river, especially in the summer, by 12-1 in the afternoon. The river just got too rough for my little 17' Ranger. Unfortunately, right about that time of day, all the 'hang-over' crowd were at the ramps trying to launch their boats. It always turned into a giant shit-show.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Been fishing late evening past few days on Gunpowder. Lost a huge snakehead yesterday. Caught some large mouths and catfish and a few white perch. Using chatterbaits and double tailed white twisters on jig head. Lost quite a few largemouth also. Here are a few pics.
    image000006 (1).jpg
    image000005.jpg
    image000004 (1).jpg
    image000002 (2).jpg
    image000001 (4).jpg

Attachments

• image000000 (5).jpg
      image000000 (5).jpg
      152.3 KB · Views: 33

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Been hearing reports from friends fishing rivers off of the Chesapeake bay that the catfish is hitting hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Love fishing these. That was Wednesday

Attachments

• C3C6A43B-38D4-4EC5-9BF1-EA987F8E24D5.jpeg
      C3C6A43B-38D4-4EC5-9BF1-EA987F8E24D5.jpeg
      528.6 KB · Views: 49

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics