• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I've been wanting to expand my collection, and really have an itch for a longer range gun. I've seen people's M-1 and M-14 builds, and that's definitely the direction I want to go.
    Is it feasible to build an M-14 EBR clone? Has anyone here built up one? Pics please?
    What about M-1's? The CMP has receiver, bolt, and barrel assemblies. How hard would it be to turn that into a complete rifle? Compared to an AR, how easy are these guns to put together?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have custom built a couple of EBR/EMR clones using SA M1A rifles as a base gun. These are expensive projects and it will require a lot of expertise to build one. M1As require a bit more gunsmithing and tools to build as compared to the AR type rifles.

With the current panic buying frenzy, parts are going to be hard to find. Goodluck

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    As far as M1 Garands (completely different gun from an M1A or M14), unless you happen to have the parts on hand, it's cheaper to buy a complete gun from the CMP than a barreled receiver.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Would not say they are money pits but as with any quality firearm they are not a cheap date.As far as a Garand barreled receiver build,if you don't already have the other needed parts you can easily spend more than what a CMP service grade costs.
    The M14 is getting to the point where you are better off buying an assembled rifle, original parts are drying up and all the makers are using a mix of new aftermarket and surplus parts.
    The confusion over M1A or M14 comes from Springfield Armory copywriting the M1A designation,they are the only manufacturer that designates their rifle M1A, the others all call it a M14. Right now I would get the M14/M1A first as it is on most of the ban lists.
    I bought my Fulton M14 several years ago, just the basic service rifle,mostly GI parts with Fulton receiver and barrel,very accurate and has always functioned perfectly.

Last edited:

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    The challenge with M14 rifles is that years ago they were a good value for what you get. GI parts were cheap. That is no longer the case. Many parts have been reproduced by commercial manufacturers. The parts quality ranges from ok to junk. In most cases quality is not what it used to be, while prices have steadily moved upward. I'm glad I got my rifles several years ago. I also stashed surplus parts when the CMP was selling them. I wish I had bought even more $35 op rods, trigger groups, and bolts.

You can still build a nice M14 rifle, but look to spend somewhere between $2k to $2.5k for a top notch build. Not too many years ago, you could have had the same rifle stuffed with GI parts for half that.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I've been looking around today, and you guys aren't kidding about the prices.
    http://www.lrbarms.com/m14m25actions.html
    LRB barreled actions are $2k+
    EBR chassis is $840
    Scope is $1400
    etc...
    Maybe I'll take this one really slow, to avoid raising the wife's suspicions.

SCARCQB, can we see some pictures of your creations?

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I bought my Fulton M14 several years ago, just the basic service rifle,mostly GI parts with Fulton receiver and barrel,very accurate and has always functioned perfectly.

I :heart: Fulton Armory.

If price is a concern, a used Springfield M1A "Loaded" is a good value.

:D

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If you just want to have a stock shooter, neither is a money pit.

Both are exceptional battle rifles, and if you're expecting battle rifle performance and accuracy you won't be disappointed with a standard M1A or a service or field grade M1 from the CMP.

If you want to squeeze every once of accuracy out of it and have it rival an AR-10 or bolt gun...then both can be very expensive ventures.

Turning a barreled M1 Garand receiver into a shooter isn't particularly hard, but as Ken792 stated above, you're better off just buying a complete rifle (more history there anyway).

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    There are so many better rifles for the money than a high end M1A which is basically a Garand with a magazine. If you just want a shooter get a basic M1A from Springfield. Then later on you can buy a FAL and G3(PTR91GI if your on a budget) and have all three 'legacy' Nato battle rifles.:thumbsup:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I have an 'early' Springfield Armory ("SAI") M1A.
    I have found that I use the term "M14 platform" to describe the rifle(s) more than I use M1A.

My beloved M1A started out 'life' as a "Standard", but, it has been accurized just about as far as it can go, and still look like an M1A/M14.

IF you want a tack-driving M14 platform rifle, be prepared to spend some $$$.

Personally, I cannot say anything 'nice' about Fulton. Just can't.

IF you get an M14 platform rifle, and decide to accurize it, you CAN spend up to (and more than) $5,000.00.

IF I had to do it all over, again. . . . . I'd buy a Scout/Squad and get it 'tightened up a bit' and call it good.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    To answer the OP, yes, you can build an EBR in NSW Gray if your heart and wallet desires it. The first was built using a Polytech M14s, the second is a Springfield M1A, neither was a cheap date. I think I have about $1600 in the Polytech EBR and close to $3000 in the Springfield wearing the Troy MCS clothing.

Mark

Attachments

• IMAG0091.jpg
      IMAG0091.jpg
      56.9 KB · Views: 205
    • DSCN1346.jpg
      DSCN1346.jpg
      71.8 KB · Views: 179

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Markp, what scope is that on your Springfield? I really like the Troy furniture, maybe I'll do that to my M1A "Loaded".

What all did you have to do to the Polytech to get it up to spec? I've read that their receivers were well made but the gas systems are a nightmare.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Markp, what scope is that on your Springfield? I really like the Troy furniture, maybe I'll do that to my M1A "Loaded".

What all did you have to do to the Polytech to get it up to spec? I've read that their receivers were well made but the gas systems are a nightmare.

Both my polytech's ran fine as is with no real work.

The scope is the Horus/Bushnell HDMR with the older H58 reticle. I got the scope when Horus ran it's MIL/LE intro special for $850. What a steal!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom