Which cost effective(membership) outdoor gun range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgun

Feb 22, 2011
    White Marsh,MD
    Good day! I am looking into SLCFSA, Baltimore Rifle Club or Maryland Rifle Club but have not bee around any of those places. Just got little informations through this forum. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    BRC and MRC are both AGC clubs. The AGC is probably about 45 minutes from where you are.
    Once you join either of those clubs (or any of the 31 clubs there) you need to do a range safety orientation/range walkthrough and then you buy a $150 annual range badge that gives you unlimited access to all the ranges, no extra fees for guests, then you only pay $3.00/round for trap.
    You get access to the 4 trap fields, archery range, indoor pellet range, 200 yard and 100 yard rifle ranges and the 50 yard pistol range.

I think it's a pretty good deal.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Thank you sir! Now, do i need to have a sponsor to be able to join those clubs?

That I'm not sure about. Each club will have their own set of requirements.

The club I belong to, Mount Washington Rod & Gun Club, is a charter club with AGC. We don't require a new member to have a sponsor. If someone expresses an interest in joining we invite them to a meeting and there they will talk with a couple of our club officers (very casual and low key) If they decide that they want to join, and they meet the requirements (NRA membership, US citizen, of good character) they will be invited to join right then.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    rseymorejr knows a lot more about AGC & the affiliated clubs than I do. I can say that need for a sponsor would be up to the individual club. Check out the AGC web site at http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/. There is a link with info & contacts for the different clubs. Some of them are organized and conduct events, have regular meetings, etc. while a few pretty much exist only to get access to the AGC range.

I belong to Mt Washington Rod & Gun Club. You'd be welcomed at our next meeting 8pm Thursday 5/21/15 at the AGC Barnes range house, whether you decide to join us or not. It would be a good chance to see the AGC range and facilites and to see if the driving time & distance works for you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    SLCFSA is an awesome club. If is about 45 minutes for me in Harford County, so a bit further for you.

5 trap houses. Also allow your own/hand throwers at one location between two trap houses.

2x rifle ranges - 1 to 100 yards (also backstops for 25, 50, and 75) and 1 to 300 yards (25, 50, 75, 100, 200, 300), both have covered firing positions and benches, with concrete pad in front for prone.

2x pistol ranges - up to 50 yards, one allows shotguns

8x action bays - approximately 10 foot wide, 50 or so feet long, concrete walls.

1x Archery range

Club house, that is big enough for indoor archery and 10m air rifle for juniors

Can hunt on the property. Had a stocked pond for fishing (license required).

Paved driveways and parking areas. Prox card access control.

Other than competitions, I have pretty much had a range to myself every time I have gone (including weekends). If someone was shooting, they were packing up by the time I was done setting up.

LOTS of comps if you want, High Power, Vintage Sniper, Cowboy Action, PA Steel Shoot, Rimfire, etc.

And I think the dues are up to $70 a year TOTAL.

The bad news, likely by now the membership is filled up for the year. You will need to attend a meeting (Tuesday evening) EARLY in the calendar year.

Last edited:

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Most of the AGC Clubs do not require a sponsor. As another suggested, check the AGC website's club pages and contact the club.

I know Monumental Rifle and Pistol does not require sponsorship. Some clubs, like Monumental require that you be an NRA member and usually are NRA recruiters so they can offer you a discount on NRA membership.

I visited several of the AGC clubs before I joined Monumental.

Apr 15, 2013
    If you want to shoot at AGC, the path of least resistance is Baltimore Rifle Club. Where as most others are actual clubs with meetings and activities and the like, BRC exists just so people can get ranges badges. (They have one meeting per year- to get next years range badge.)

People often join BRC first and shoot at AGC for a season or two, then find a proper club that is aligned with their shooting interests.

No sponsor needed. But you will need to schedule a range walk through, whichever club you join.

MRC is a proper club, interested primarily in high power rifle competition. Shoots, clinics, leagues, etc. Great group, if high power is your thing.

2x rifle ranges - and 1 to 3000 yards

Dude, you almost had me really excited there for a sec.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    If the clubs you are considering don't work out for you, Garrison Rifle & Revolver that I am the VP of, has at least 3 opportunities to join in June. You could get range walkthrough, safety orientation course, and pay to get a Garrison club membership card on June 9th, 21st, and 27th. E-mail me at VicePresident@GarrisonRR.org if you are interested in one of those dates. There is more info on our website.

topgun

Feb 22, 2011
    White Marsh,MD
    Thank you very much for the infos! A friend of mine from Lancaster,PA told me about SLFSA and was more interested about their Pistol steel competitions. I was hoping that there is something close here in MD, which you guys have shared info with. I will check this out. Thanks again!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    And I think the dues are up to $70 a year TOTAL.

The bad news, likely by now the membership is filled up for the year. You will need to attend a meeting (Tuesday evening) EARLY in the calendar year.

SLCFSA Club

Current 2015 dues are $75 per year but new members cost an additional $25 first year for the electronic range badge.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thank you very much for the infos! A friend of mine from Lancaster,PA told me about SLFSA and was more interested about their Pistol steel competitions. I was hoping that there is something close here in MD, which you guys have shared info with. I will check this out. Thanks again!

You can shoot the PA Steel Shoots without being a member.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    SLCFSA Club

Current 2015 dues are $75 per year but new members cost an additional $25 first year for the electronic range badge.

Thanks.

First year I joined, $50. And $20 of that went to the land acquisition fund.

And I guess got grandfathered for the electronic pass. You still need the range badge also, which is yearly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom