• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silentj

Rather Be Shooting
    Jul 16, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Hey guys and gals,

I'm building an AR and need some advice on a barrel. Looking for distance and accuracy. Chrome moly vanadium Steel barrel chrome lined bore or "Machine Gun Steel" Barrel chrome lined bore?

I'm new to this and this is my first AR so please be gentle :)

Thanks,
    Kevin

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    What kind of distance and what kind of accuracy? And... how much are you willing to give up versus weight of the finished rifle?

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I believe that the guys that are into the precision AR world prefer unlined barrels, as the chrome lining can have uneven applications. Stainless barrels come into the mix since they don't need to be lined and they clean up easier than an unlined steel barrel. Stainless is worth looking into if you have the money to do it, but I've heard that they do wear out a little faster than the steel variants.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Chrome lining does not lead to 'distance and accuracy'. If you want that, consider using a stainless bbl instead. If you are shooting full auto, you will want chrome lined, but if you want to build a tackdriver, you want a stainless bbl that won't lead to throat erosion over time.

Barrel profile is another huge consideration, bull is the most accurate, HBar next and then the lighter profile barrels. My Varminator sports a 20" sst bull barrel. It will nail a bottle cap at 100yds all day, but you don't want to be carrying that sucker around all day either. My HBar will come close and weighs in quite a few pounds less (it is steel (4140) and unlined).

silentj

Rather Be Shooting
    Jul 16, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I'm on a pretty tight budget of $500 for a assembled upper. I have been looking at the PSA Barreled Upper Assemblies. They have 2 that are in my price and those are the 2 barrels options I'm going back and forth.

Distance would be at most 1000 yards.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    What you're asking about is barrels made from 4140 versus 4150 steel. 4150 is preferred by MIL for long-term severe use, especially for sustained fire. 4150 will hold up better when glowing hot. Go with 4150 if you consider the price premium reasonable. Otherwise, 4140 is fine for the vast majority of civilian use cases.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I believe that the guys that are into the precision AR world prefer unlined barrels, as the chrome lining can have uneven applications. Stainless barrels come into the mix since they don't need to be lined and they clean up easier than an unlined steel barrel. Stainless is worth looking into if you have the money to do it, but I've heard that they do wear out a little faster than the steel variants.
    Just the opposite.. the durability of stainless is greater than steel, though the chrome lining is a leading factor there. If you are gonna shoot thousands of rounds, go chrome.. if you want to build a tackdriver that will not be shooting 100's of rounds at a clip, go SST!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The more expensive one is 4150. It would be worth $60 extra to me, but just barely. If you plan to precision shoot a low number of rounds when you use it, save your money and get the lower-cost 4140 for $390.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The more expensive one is 4150. It would be worth $60 extra to me, but just barely. If you plan to precision shoot a low number of rounds when you use it, save your money and get the lower-cost 4140 for $390.
    agreed! :thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you want serious accuracy, go with one of the leading barrel makers. Like Liljas, Kreiger, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom