• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    I was at a family BBQ tonight and was shown a Browning light 12 and Remington sportsman 20 gauge tonight. The owner inherited them a few years ago and wanted to get an idea on their values. The sportsman seems pretty straight forward, but the Browning A5 light 12 not so much. Any sites to gather information would be appreciated. The Browning shows some wear which is expected for a hunting gun. It was made in Japan(mirokou), invector chokes, and steel rated barrel. The stock looks ok but there is some cracks/repairs near the tang.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Nice Jap A-5's are around a $1000. Earlier Belgium A-5's generally $1000-2000. You're not supposed to shoot steel shot out of the older Belgium guns. When water fowling went to steel shot only, the value of the Belgium ones dropped and prices were stagnant for awhile until the A-5 was discontinued. Jap guns with the invector chokes became more desirable. You can look up the date of manufacturer on the Browning website and there should be some brief history. I have and had several A-5's. I shot at least 10K rounds through my Light 12 that I bought around 1975. I have a light and mag 20 too.
    Back in the early 80's a 3" mag 12 model's life span on a gun shop shelf was measured in hours.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My son recently won a Belgian A5 12 gauge light on Gun Broker. Great shape, no stock cracks, he paid $650 for it.
    I think he got a pretty good deal
    I picked up a Belgian Magnum A5 locally for about the same price abd it's in very good condition also

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    The Remington Sportsman or aka Model 11 was the earlier A-5 so to speak. Winchester wasn't interested in the Auto 5 so Browning took it to Remington. The Remingtons range around $650 with the 20 being more desirable than the 12ga. The Remington didn't have all the same features as the Browning like the magazine cutoff and auto loading from the tube, on an empty gun, you just push the shell in the tube and the action would wisp it into the chamber and close the bolt in a blink.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    My son recently won a Belgian A5 12 gauge light on Gun Broker. Great shape, no stock cracks, he paid $650 for it.
    I think he got a pretty good deal
    I picked up a Belgian Magnum A5 locally for about the same price abd it's in very good condition also
    yes, that's a pretty good deal, then add tax, shipping, transfer and 1% GB fee, you'll still get change from a $1000 bill. Allan Price at the Baltimore County Show Saturday had a nice Mag 12 for around $800 I think.
    The Auto 5 was the heaviest of all auto loading shotguns. They were all machined parts and all steel.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Remington Sportsman or aka Model 11 was the earlier A-5 so to speak. Winchester wasn't interested in the Auto 5 so Browning took it to Remington. The Remingtons range around $650 with the 20 being more desirable than the 12ga. The Remington didn't have all the same features as the Browning like the magazine cutoff and auto loading from the tube, on an empty gun, you just push the shell in the tube and the action would wisp it into the chamber and close the bolt in a blink.

" Sportsman " is an adjective for the submodel that only had 3 shot capacity ( 2+1)

There were Model 11 Sportsman and Model 11-48 Sportsman models .

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Thanks for the info. The sportsman is the 3 shot model 11 which should date to 1939. The a5 being a well used Japanese build would the group think it’s in the 500s? Here are a few pictures of both.

Attachments

• IMG_1290.jpeg
      IMG_1290.jpeg
      205.8 KB · Views: 50
    • IMG_1291.jpeg
      IMG_1291.jpeg
      196.7 KB · Views: 47
    • IMG_1292.jpeg
      IMG_1292.jpeg
      226.9 KB · Views: 53
    • IMG_1287.jpeg
      IMG_1287.jpeg
      220.3 KB · Views: 53
    • IMG_1288.jpeg
      IMG_1288.jpeg
      200.5 KB · Views: 52
    • IMG_1289.jpeg
      IMG_1289.jpeg
      147.7 KB · Views: 53
    • IMG_1284.jpeg
      IMG_1284.jpeg
      256.4 KB · Views: 52
    • IMG_1286.jpeg
      IMG_1286.jpeg
      234.2 KB · Views: 50

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    With the bad stock on the A5 400 to 500, the Japanese barrels are desirable for the chokes and steel rating.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I think I paid $450 for one a few years ago but they have gone up since then and I had to replace the spring but it has been shooting great since. These were popular shotguns for my family and now we all have one but only a few from my grandfather. I have a good number of shotguns and my A5 is what I take to Kansas every year for our pheasant hunt. Great gun, you will even see me shooting trap with it at BCGF!

Attachments

• IMG_2886.jpg
      IMG_2886.jpg
      98.6 KB · Views: 39

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Had a chance to look at the light 12 again. It has an L serial so it was built 54-55 making it an fn gun with a newer Japanese barrel.

My son will be using the 20ga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom