• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I want a house damnit.

Any thoughts on local lenders? I was thinking about Tower, but they seem to have a lot of blah reviews online. PenFed was my runner up, but some seem to think there on the slow side. Any good experiences?

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    I got mortgages before from a small credit union, NavyFed, and Farm Credit.
    My last one was from a small local mortgage broker in SoMD.

Shop around, compare rates and response. If a place is not responsive in the time frame you want, drop them like a rock.
    BTW, PM inbound with the name of my local broker.

Landjet

Apr 23, 2022
    PG County
    Just my biased opinion - Navy Fed has worked out great for me from an original loan to a re-fi. Also a fan of their super easy on-line mortgage management (regular payment, additional payment to mortgage or escrow, lots of stats and scenarios for additional payments). PenFed was probably going to be my second choice at the time. Both had better terms than USAA.

ccarson

I'm old school
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 28, 2013
    Montgomery County
    go see Ryan

Do not use a credit union in a competitive market, they have a reputation for being slow, non responsive and needing extra time to settle. They will choose the offer that comes from a recognized respected mortgage loan officer,
    Roundpoint is very well known and Ryan has a strong rep

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Go see Ryan.

I've done 4 mortgages in my life and he made it as painless as one could hope for.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    @El_flasko has done right by a lot of members here, including myself. He's a great guy and a straight shooter.
    Ryan is the Best!

I've done a VA and VA Rate Refi with Ryan.

The customer service with his team is outstanding and unmatched in the industry.

Ryan beat the rates offered by my mortgage holder, Penny Mac plus USAA and Quicken.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    As said, contact El_Flasko. I have a mortgage and refi with him. Would have been another mortgage but he wasn’t servicing AZ at the time although he put in a lot of time with me in the workup process.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Two refis with @El_flasko - smooth as silk... very communicative, always available to answer questions, professional team of support personnel. Hands down, the best financial team I've ever worked with.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I want a house damnit.

Any thoughts on local lenders? I was thinking about Tower, but they seem to have a lot of blah reviews online. PenFed was my runner up, but some seem to think there on the slow side. Any good experiences?
    We're on our 2nd PenFed mortgage. The process went smoothly, albeit not as quickly as I'd have liked, and we got a great rate with no points and low processing fees. I'm a member at three different credit unions (PenFed, TFCU and Navy Federal), so we shopped around and found the best all around deal from PenFed. I've also had mortgages through TFCU in the past and didn't have any problems.

The one mortgage I had through a commercial bank was nothing but problems, from settlement errors to selling of the servicing one or two times a year, every year I had it until I refinanced through TFCU. I'll never go back to a commercial bank mortgage if I can help it. I can live with the slower processing.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    I have used Arundel Federal three times. They have pretty strict requirements, but the interest rates were the lowest I could find.

It seems like a lot here have had a particularly good experience with a certain member.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom