• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I’ve got a 6 year old boy that I am wanting to get him started in the outdoors shooting with some groundhog hunting. Anyone frequented some public grounds recently where there are an abundance? I am a MD licensed hunter and would be using rimfires. Thanks in advance MDShooters!

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Most of the public hunting lands that I have encountered are wooded. GH’s like to hang out in fields or near wood lines. Maybe approach some farmers and ask for permission.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Usually in bean fields. The things will eat a damn near perfect circle around their hole. Farmers hate em due to crop damage and tunnel cave ins when the farm equipment runs over them. I used to sit in a folding lawn chair about 80 yards from the hole an kill em with a 22 mag.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Usually in bean fields. The things will eat a damn near perfect circle around their hole. Farmers hate em due to crop damage and tunnel cave ins when the farm equipment runs over them. I used to sit in a folding lawn chair about 80 yards from the hole an kill em with a 22 mag.

I think for a 6 year y/o, a 300 win mag would be appropriate :innocent0

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Most of the public hunting lands that I have encountered are wooded. GH’s like to hang out in fields or near wood lines. Maybe approach some farmers and ask for permission.

I was hoping maybe some easy access state parks or WMAs before I just start cold knocking.

Right, this is the idea. My son has a single shot .22LR, suppressed, with a red dot, hoping he can put it to use if we find some.

Willing to shoot suppressed?

https://www.marylandzoo.org/

Funny.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay

Yes, looks like a bomb crater from the air. Farmer also hate them as several they know of have been killed on flipped tractors from the front wheel hitting a hole snapping and rolling the tractors.

Some farmers have guys doing it and some do not. They will let you hunt the summer many times. Make sure you take the boy asking for permission.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm trying to coordinate a prairie dog shoot with a friend of mine if/when I go back to Nebraska to visit this summer. A good day in a dog town will dozens between two shooters.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Talk to some farmers near you I'm sure if you ask them many would be happy to have you harvest the groundhogs. I used to hunt a Christmas tree farm. They had 4 different properties, but the one really had a groundhog problem. Right after they would mow or a fresh rain it was like heaven. I shot 9 one evening after work. Lately I mainly hunt crop fields. It can be tough as you have to get them before the crops become to tall or wait until the crops are harvested. Groundhog really like beans and hay fields.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    And alfalfa fields. Public lands with some crop fields should work. Target the public dove spots, places like McKee Beachers.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

I used to hunt 'em in a field in Millersville many years ago basically while doing early season dove hunting. Peaches were coming in right at that time and the damn things would climb the peach trees to get at the peaches. The farmers rule was to shoot them on sight if we wanted to hunt. After wounding a couple with birdshot, I started carrying my TC in 30 Herrett or my 357 mag S&W revolver. I could sometimes pick them right off the trees or on the ground near them.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    McKee Beshers, Patuxent River SP in HoCo, Hugg Thomas all public with some open fields.

And alfalfa fields. Public lands with some crop fields should work. Target the public dove spots, places like McKee Beachers.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m a little familiar with Patuxtent River SP, I scouted deer there, so the fields there was going to be the first place we started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom