• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Keep in mind that your 6 year old will need a hunter safety certificate if he is shooting the groundhogs

He can do the apprentice license with online exam. Its watching a video or three and answering a small number of questions.

If done honestly (IE the parent isn't just taking it for them), I doubt a 6yr old would likely pass it. But up to the parent to determine if they are mature enough with supervision to go out hunting.

One thing to keep in mind is a person may only get an apprentice license ONCE. So if the OP's/OP's son is interesting in continuing hunting they will need to take the full hunter's safety course the following year and get their license, which I doubt any 7yr old could manage. Not that a 7yr old can't be interested and sharp enough to learn the basic safety rules, but their reading would need to be up to par to read through the questions and answer the multiple choice questions. Now some instructors might be okay with it, but I am not aware of a parent/guardian being able to assist a child in taking the exam (IE reading the questions an answers to them).

IMHO, to get the hunter's safety license you really should be somewhere around 10 or 11 (maybe 9). OP, I'd concentrate on taking your 6yr old WITH you hunting, rather then getting them in to being the hunter due to the roadblocks in this state (well, most states) to getting a young child legally eligible to hunt.

*edit* Just saw your other response. Honestly a better option is probably just take him squirrel hunting this fall. A much higher chance of success.

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    No license necessary to hunt groundhogs (except Baltimore County) as they are classified “unprotected”. See page 54 of the Guide to Hunting and Trapping.

The nutria and woodchuck (groundhog) are classified as “unprotected mammals.” As such:
    • A hunting license and furbearer permit are not required to hunt nutria and woodchucks
    except in Baltimore County, where a hunting license is required to hunt woodchucks.
    • Nutria and woodchucks may be hunted throughout the year, including Sundays. •
    • Hunters must wear daylight fluorescent color clothing while hunting woodchucks.
    • All hunting devices legal for other game animals may be used to hunt nutria and woodchucks.

Although as noted he may need a Hunter Safety Certificate. See the following page 12 of the Guide:

“Who May Hunt Without a Hunting License-
    All Maryland hunters must comply with the Hunter Education and Safety Requirement (pg. 8).”

So if taking “unprotected mammals” is considered “hunting” he would need a Hunter Safety Certificate.

IANAL I suggest you check with NRP for their position on this.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Some years ago, my sister in Rockville caught a groundhog in a live trap. She called the county humane society to see if they would take it. They recommend that she release it on a big tract of public land near Poolesville. They told her that it was called McKee Besher. True story.

dagmars

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2022
    A guy we knew had a horse ranch and he had allot of trouble with the ground hogs. They mad holes that the horses kept getting hurt in. He invited us to take care of the GH's. 3 of us went to the ranch and spent maybe hours just blasting them. They just kept popping up and running, it was the most fun I ever had with my 1022!

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    backyard has at least 2 that keep playing with the dogs
    running under the buildings, time will tell.

My cousins farm had plenty would scan the fields from a high spot
    pluck them off. (220 Swift / 25.06 topped with 36x Leupolds) or
    raking hay, had the XP100 w/ Leupold 4x scope riding on the
    tractor fender

-Rock

TTBJ

Apr 10, 2018
    Howard County

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_134329.jpg
      IMG_20211021_134329.jpg
      614.6 KB · Views: 76

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    yes, got this at Patuxent River SP.
    I can’t remember now, but with the addition of straight wall being allowed for deer, they’ve lightened up and allow rimfire for other game there now, right?

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    A guy we knew had a horse ranch and he had allot of trouble with the ground hogs. They mad holes that the horses kept getting hurt in. He invited us to take care of the GH's. 3 of us went to the ranch and spent maybe hours just blasting them. They just kept popping up and running, it was the most fun I ever had with my 1022!
    queue Caddy Shack :)

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    My dog Daisy took one out this morning. She had been stalking around the burrow over the last few days and finally caught it out in the open.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Don't forget to look up.....

This is a momma that lives under my shed. She decided the leaves are more tasty than the grass in the yard.

Attachments

• 20220512_162804.jpg
      20220512_162804.jpg
      130.8 KB · Views: 54
    • 20220512_162820.jpg
      20220512_162820.jpg
      161.7 KB · Views: 54

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I've always had my best luck looking in teratos's freezer...:yummy:
    No groundhog. Lol. Gotta get to my MILs. My H&K 300 is a tack driver. There’s some young’uns. Only exotics in the freezer are beaver and coon. Thinking beaver and Guinness stew for a dinner this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom