• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Hi folks - my carry permit arrived in the mail and I need to pick up something smaller than my full size M&P pistol. Never thought I would have a carry permit in this state so all my handguns are full size. I have handled the S&W Shield and the Equalizer looks like an upgraded version of the same. Is there a FFL dealer near Montgomery County that has the Equalizer in stock and won't screw me too badly on the price? I looked at buying on line but all I found included magazines that are > 10 rounds. I know I am preaching to the choir but MD sucks. Your advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I would call Engage Armaments (Rockville), Maryland Elite Firearms (Finksburg, so a bit of a hike from Mo County) and Atlantic Guns (Rockville) and see if they can help you. They always seem to have a lot of firearms in the display case when I visit them. It has been a while since I visited United Gun Shop (Rockville), but they too used to have lots of firearms in the display case. South Carroll Sporting Goods is another place to check out. All are Industry Partners on this site. But of course none of them are going to sell you a magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds. For that you will have to find another way to get them.

Enjoy.

Cal68

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Don't know where you are located but Hafers has a large inventory. You can go to the WV Store and purchase with standard mags then drive 15 minutes to Hagerstown store to do paperwork. Only $10 fee for transfer which is more than offset by no tax in WV on firearms.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you actually have parameters of MoCo ; you have 3 choices of full service stocking gun stores . Two of them are around the corner; the other is 15minutes without traffic.

I'm shocked that a new S&W product line appeared under my radar. In between here , subscribing to American Handgunner and American Rifleman, and occasionally purchasing others ; all I've noticed was the introduction of the Railfan oriented CSX .

I looks like the Equalizer is the love child of a Shield Plus molested by a 1911 ?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    By the way, the magazines for SW Shield Plus will also work in Equalizer. Please double check on this. It is nice because you can own two different pistols.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    What is this a micro like the bodyguard but only in 9mm?
    Nah....

13591-sw-OnWhite_Left_10rnd__18815.1675174573.1280.1280.png

It is more like Shield Plus with "EZ" racking feature. The magazine is hard with stiff spring, so they throw in a free loader.

It uses double-stack magazine that will fit in the Shield Plus (same magazine type probably).

Last edited:

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    While I was working at the hardware store gun shop there in VA, and also helping run an occasional IDPA "like" match at a local gun club, I saw an S&W E-Z pistol being used as an entry level gun for folks (that I had sold that particular gun to!) just starting out.
    I LIKED the easy slide rack and magazine loading of the E-Z, but this poor couple had loads of problems with that E-Z, rear sight falling out, multiple FTF FTE malfunctions, etc. I was disappointed and later saw other issues with other E-Zs that led me to believe they were designed too lightly sprung to hold up for very long.
    I hope S&W changed a few things between the E-Z and this iteration.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Nah....

It is more like Shield Plus with "EZ" racking feature. The magazine is hard with stiff spring, so they throw in a free loader.

It uses double-stack magazine that will fit in the Shield Plus (same magazine type probably).
    Handled one, and it's a NOPE. Better capacity than the EZ, but same goofy mechanism. The EZ has been plagued with problems like OMChamlin said, and this basically an "improved" version. It's actually pretty big too, the numbers don't really tell the story, it's actually near identical to a GLOCK 48(single stack 19) or P365XL, but appears different because GLOCK measuring OAL to the end of the grip, not back of the slide, and height is with a mag(and the fat stock base pad hanging under the grip). It absolutely dwarfs a Sig P365, Shield, Hellcat, GLOCK 43 etc. I would Recomend a G43/X(with shield mags), P365/X depending on the grip length you would like. I was a S&W fan in the past, competed with several of their revolvers, and an M&P, but most of their new autos either suck or are left in the dust by the competition, mainly GLOCK and Sig.

Last edited:

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Handled one, and it's a NOPE. Better capacity than the EZ, but same goofy mechanism. The EZ has been plagued with problems like OMChamlin said, and this basically an "improved" version. It's actually pretty big too, the numbers don't really tell the story, it's actually near identical to a GLOCK 48(single stack 19) or P365XL, but appears different because GLOCK measuring OAL to the end of the grip, not back of the slide, and height is with a mag(and the fat stock base pad hanging under the grip). It absolutely dwarfs a Sig P365, Shield, Hellcat, GLOCK 43 etc. I would Recomend a G43/X(with shield mags), P365/X depending on the grip length you would like. I was a S&W fan in the past, competed with several of their revolvers, and an M&P, but most of their new autos either suck or are left in the dust by the competition, mainly GLOCK and Sig.
    I have the old SW Shield and Shield Plus. I like both and they are reliable.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There are at least three brick and mortar MoCo gun stores in the IP section. I would start there and send emails to each.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Thanks for all the responses. To clarify "near Montgomery County" was included so I would not get a recommendation for a dealer in say Garrett or Worchester County. I reached out to South Carroll Sporting Goods since I have done business with them in the past and it's on order.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    FWIW if it's the same construction as the EZ, unless S&W has upgraded the materials, Caveat Emptor. I had an EZ for two weeks, and couldn't get a single mag to run without a failure of some kind, like FTF, trigger failure to reset, etc. At Cindy's yesterday one of the folks shooting there had the slide on his EZ actually crack across the middle! Another shooter there sent his EZ back to S&W twice, and had a local gunsmith work on it, and after several months and lots of effort, it STILL could not run 50 rounds without some sort of failure. He also got rid of his.

The concept is great, and to be honest some of these pistols actually work. But there are also some that don't. Like I said, Caveat Emptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom