• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    I've been looking all week and can't find any SPP in lead free. Does anyone have an idea where I can pick up a few thousand?

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    I've heard tales of PMC green primers an TULAMMO lead free but I can't find any in stock.
    I contacted Fiochi and they said they would sell but right now everything they import is being used up to load their own lead free ammo.

Kinda frustrating....

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I wonder if he knows that he can swedge the pockets out and use regular primers.
    With what I have read the lead free primers are a few thou smaller and have a larger flashhole.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    I'm looking for lead free primers for indoor use in a small area. I've looked at a lot of possibilities and the approach I would prefer to start out with is lead free primers. If I can find them.
    I've talked to several dealers and they are available to reloaders. Unfortunately they are out of stock everywhere I've looked. Apparently there is a brisk demand for "green" bullets. I talked to one manufacturer who has plenty of CCI led free primers - doesn't mind selling them but he's not set up to ship hazmat and doesn't want to fool with it. They're out there - Fiochi, Tula, CCI, PMC and maybe Winchester.....I was hoping someone might know where.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I think those companies you list produce ammo with the new DDNP primers in them, but the primers themselves are not available to reloaders.

PMC dosnt even make primers for reloaders.

To my understanding the new DDNP primer require a different loading, and current load data is not the same using them. The primers have to be handled and packaged different from the current lead styrphinate primers.

I think its a matter of time before they do hit the market, either by Federal mandates, or some other claim.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Interesting - first I've heard of different load data. I've seen research on the pressure waves produced by various LF primers vs standard. Seems like the LF is similar in performance, although possibly less consistent.
    Do you have any more info on that?
    Special handling is new to me also. I've been handling primers for 25 years and never thought of handling procedures other than common sense and the respect I'd give anything that could blow up in my face :)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Here is a PDF article about the new DDNP primers. Its in PDF format:

That article makes me wonder about what if anything has been determined regarding the suitability of small primer 45acp brass for reloading. Specifically, the article's mention of possible variation in flash hole size with the lead free primer in the original factory loading. Not sure if that flash hole size is in fact different, and if so what that possible variable may introduce with regard to pressures obtained vs standard cases. I loaded 50 small primer 45acp cases for the first time ever just this past week. Didn't notice anything odd with regard to the flash hole. Maybe there was no difference.....maybe I just didn't notice? I'm not a big fan of maybe.....

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    That article makes me wonder about what if anything has been determined regarding the suitability of small primer 45acp brass for reloading. Specifically, the article's mention of possible variation in flash hole size with the lead free primer in the original factory loading. Not sure if that flash hole size is in fact different, and if so what that possible variable may introduce with regard to pressures obtained vs standard cases. I loaded 50 small primer 45acp cases for the first time ever just this past week. Didn't notice anything odd with regard to the flash hole. Maybe there was no difference.....maybe I just didn't notice? I'm not a big fan of maybe.....

I think the 45 ACP with enlarged flash holes, are actually a large primer. Ive loaded the small primered 45 ACP using the same data as LPP, and not noticed any difference in POI, or any pressure signs. They shot fine.

Here is a pic of 3 different 45ACP cases. The one on the far right is a Winchester brass that had a "green" primer in it. You can see the flashole is enlarged. The middle case is a standard large primer pocket 45 ACP, the left is the small primer pocket 45 ACP.

Handloader mag had an article about the small primer pocket 45 ACP cases. They stated that performance was actually enhanced using the regular small pistol primer 45 case over the larger one.

I think the real issue is using the DDNP primers with current data for regular primers.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I think the 45 ACP with enlarged flash holes, are actually a large primer. Ive loaded the small primered 45 ACP using the same data as LPP, and not noticed any difference in POI, or any pressure signs. They shot fine.

Here is a pic of 3 different 45ACP cases. The one on the far right is a Winchester brass that had a "green" primer in it. You can see the flashole is enlarged. The middle case is a standard large primer pocket 45 ACP, the left is the small primer pocket 45 ACP.

Handloader mag had an article about the small primer pocket 45 ACP cases. They stated that performance was actually enhanced using the regular small pistol primer 45 case over the larger one.

I think the real issue is using the DDNP primers with current data for regular primers.

Ok Rock....thanks for the education! What I was missing was that green primers aren't restricted to small primer pockets in 45acp. To me, that small pocket was the tell tale differentiator for green ammo. Not so. But why then create an oddball small primer size in a 45acp case, and then also make a standard primer size case .......but enlarge the flash hole? I get that in a ballistics lab. I don't get that in the market, and especially where manufacturers know full well that reloaders will reuse cases.....recommended practice or otherwise.

I've not personally run across any standard large primer cases with the large flash hole pictured. I'd remember that. I was thinking a difference of maybe a thousandth or two in flash hole size. So much for that idea.....Stevie Wonder could see the difference there! And yeah, I see your point. Actually, I would wonder not only about DDNP primers in today's much more common standard cases once DDNP primers are available, but also today's lead primers in cases factory loaded with DDNP flash holes large enough for a small kid to fit through. Would mean what for today's standard and accepted load data? Guess we really need to keep our eyes open here until this shakes out.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Forgive my ignorance here but I seem to be missing something.
    I've loaded small and large primer .45acp and noticed no difference in load data or performance. I'm told that small magnum primers are required for some .357 loads but I always use SPP and as yet, have not had an issue.
    Just based on my experience, if the primer can light the powder then it's done it's job and the powder will perform regardless.
    Looking at the enlarged hole I would think that the bigger diameter compensates for any weakness in the primer just so the load data doesn't have to change.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    You really should use Magnum Primers when its called for in your loading manual. Magnum primers tend
    to burn a little hotter so the slow burning powders burn correctly. The last thing you want is to change the pressure curve and end up with higher than spec pressure when the bullet is at the end of the barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom