When did you find the shooting “sweet spot”?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I’ve been a member of this forum for about fourteen years. Some of you old timers have watched me go from that very first shotgun, to many shotguns, to the occasional rifle and gradually into handguns. You’ve taught me how to reload and appreciate sweet lemonade, etc.

That said, it only took me over a damned decade to find what I like and what I can shoot fairly well. I should have listened when I went to other calibers, but I didn’t….only to come back to “get a 9mm”.

Today, I took my three 9mm pistols to the range to see how they did side by side. I took a Sig P239, Ruger P95, and Stoeger STR9. Each one falls at a different price point, so I figured I might get some variation. Ammo was all Blazer 115gr FMJ. Distance was seven yards.

The Sig performed like, well, a Sig. Even with my fair to middling shooting, it performed as expected. Both double action and single action were nice and smooth. Didn’t expect issues, didn’t get any. This was the first time out with the pistol since I did a rudimentary function test a couple of weeks ago.

The Ruger performed well, though my general disdain for the pistol wanted me to discover otherwise. It’s big and ugly and the single action trigger is very light, but the pistol was accurate and did not fail. A solid B student in pistol form.

The Stoeger was the surprise of the trio. Since I have changed my shooting style (more about that later), the $299 Stoeger was a laser beam. Time and time again, the Stoeger went bang, hit where I was aiming, and cycled smoothly without fail. I’d been shooting with the Stoeger a few times before, but this time I paid more attention than I had before.

About my shooting style. I am right handed and left eye dominant. Years ago, I had gone to an indoor range with someone from the forum and he suggested I shoot lefty and I have for the past number of years. I could shoot well, but it never felt “right”. (No pun intended)

Today, right handed, both eyes open, and head cocked slightly so I could use the sights and it all came full circle. Right handed, both eyes, and 9mm.

It only took me fourteen years and countless guns to get it right.

I still have my 1911 and a couple of Smith revolvers, but going forward it’s all 9mm pistols for me.

438d7dc3aa8c7640cef681a31533053b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This summer after shooting off and on for 55 years I felt accomplished. Practicing a 12 shot Bill Drill (from concealment, 6, reload, 6 more in 14 seconds), I dropped my reload mag on the ground, picked it up, resumed and still scored all hits on the target with 2 seconds to spare.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I carried a 239 for work for about 6 months. Was just a wee small for a combat pistol. Went back to the 229 because it wasn't enough ammo, and I kept pinching my palm with mag exchanges. Loved it otherwise. It was a little spicy in 357 :)

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I love that P95. Ugly as hell and rattles like crazy, but that was one of the first handguns I ever shot.

I still haven't found that "sweet spot." I think I am missing a ligament, have weirdly proportioned fingers, or I have some kind of brain damage, but I really suck at recoil management. The closest I have ever been to finding that right feeling is with a SP-01. I'm not bad with aiming, but handling recoil and firing multiple shots is where I fall apart.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've been trying to teach the wife and daughter to do the same thing august. Both are cross eye dominant. It's like pulling teeth though.

All 9mm for me too. After years of beating the chit out of my hands and wrists from work, that pretty much the only defense caliber I can shoot for extended periods of time.

Pretty much a Glock guy, for now...

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Everything is a compromise. And "beware the man with one gun" is cliche for a reason.

If there's a downside to owning multiple firearms in a number of different platforms? As great a "problem" as that is to have, by definition you'll sacrifice time and reps. And you'll also to some extent sacrifice what you might be able to otherwise accomplish, with any one of them. You also increase variables, with what would otherwise be 2nd nature ingrained familiarity. Safety location under stress being but one example, and one that stands out for me.

They're all so damn much fun though.
    Hard not to accept tradeoffs.

Once I'm on target, I can hit center mass with a pistol really fast- provided it is a single target. (Once I'm on target I stay on target)
    Falling Steel at AGC is a hoot for me because it accentuates my biggest flaw in shooting handguns, which is sight acquisition. Aiming at 20-25 targets in a stage is a challenge for me that I really need to work on, but man it is fun.
    ETA- When working at Masada I would always have newbies fondle a bunch of different guns and test how it naturally points for them. EX:
    "See that red circle on the wall? Close your eyes, point at it and open your eyes. Most people will be dead on. Do the same thing with a bunch of pistols and you will get a good feel for your natural point of aim with any given handgun. For me, mid and full size Glocks are the absolute worst at this. Your results will probably be very different."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom