• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Long barrel for sight radius and velocity; bull barrel for stability and accuracy.

There are reasons you find these features on successful hunters and precision shooters guns. If you don't care about effectiveness and accuracy get whatever you think is cool.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm not trying to be dumb, but can someone explain the thread title to me?
    The thread's title refers to what's your preference? It could have been, what's your poison?

Although I have a Ruger 6.75-inch stainless pistol and the 4-inch plinker, I like the AMT Lightning best of all. Quality Millett sights, adjustable trigger, Pachmayr wrap-around grips and stainless steel (while Rugers were still only blue), the Lightning was fascinating. Some didn't work well and jammed, but if you got one that worked, they were very reliable!

I took this to the range, tested it rapid fire with four magazine-fulls of ammo and it ate them without a bobble! I then took it apart, cleaned and kept it as a collector's piece. Whoever inherits this piece will be very happy! When I took it to the range, people who saw me rapid-fire it thought it was a Ruger. "Is that a stainless steel Ruger?" one fellow asked? AMT wanted to make a Ruger that was better than a Ruger. And they came close. If someone took a Ruger, put better adjustable sights and trigger on it and flattened the sides, they would have this gun. The front sight is a bit large, but that's the only thing I'd change.

Last edited:

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Bushnell's White Label. SR22 for fun. S/W Victory for accuracy only because it came out 30 days prior to the Ruger Mark IV ^&*()_+_)(*&^%^&*.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Some folks just can't give threads a relevant title or maybe the OP assumes his special words are known to everyone. Another reason why the forum's "Search" function is poor

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    5.5” bull barrel…I’ve had my Mark II 5.5” since 1982. Can’t estimate the rounds. Bullseye pistol. Used it in the Master’s tournament. Used it in HP silhouetts, too. Balance is right, shoots great. It would be one of the very last to go…as in calamity separates it from me.

Oh, Canadian Club…usually beer…anything stronger puts a whoopin’ on me.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For a 22LR handgun? This Mk I has always been one hell of a Shooter.
    pistol-22lr-ruger-mki-t678.jpg

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Well, I went with the 4-inch Ruger in stainless steel and it reminds me of the blued Ruger 4-inch I had years ago. I also got a Ruger 6 7/8-inch version that's a ringer for my AMT Lightning.

Ruger 4-inch and AMT Lightning

People say the .22LR autos are not at all well suited for home defense. I've never bought into that line of thought, but I've read so many accounts of people successfully using .22 and .25 caliber guns to stop bad guys and very few (if any) accounts of any failing to stop them.

These calibers aren't cop guns, nor should they be, but for him invasions they seem to work very well, especially the .22LR pistols. They can be very quickly fired into the head and chests of bad guys, plus they're fun plinkers, and people can fire them quickly and accurately when defending their families.

Ruger pretty much put their competitors out of business. Not only were they cheaper, they were better. They're also more reliable.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Well, I went with the 4-inch Ruger in stainless steel and it reminds me of the blued Ruger 4-inch I had years ago. I also got a Ruger 6 7/8-inch version that's a ringer for my AMT Lightning.

Ruger 4-inch and AMT Lightning

People say the .22LR autos are not at all well suited for home defense. I've never bought into that line of thought, but I've read so many accounts of people successfully using .22 and .25 caliber guns to stop bad guys and very few (if any) accounts of any failing to stop them.

These calibers aren't cop guns, nor should they be, but for him invasions they seem to work very well, especially the .22LR pistols. They can be very quickly fired into the head and chests of bad guys, plus they're fun plinkers, and people can fire them quickly and accurately when defending their families.

Ruger pretty much put their competitors out of business. Not only were they cheaper, they were better. They're also more reliable.

Yeah those are nice looking indeed! My Mk I T678 is very similar to your AMT, but I will say the lower receiver seems to be a bit more ergonomic on the AMT. I had totally forgotten about those AMT's until you posted; have not seen one in a while. I did get a set of Pachmayr grips but they are for a Mk II; could not find any for a Mk I. Stainless finish is very handsome but can also produce glare in rare circumstances.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Yeah those are nice looking indeed! My Mk I T678 is very similar to your AMT, but I will say the lower receiver seems to be a bit more ergonomic on the AMT. I had totally forgotten about those AMT's until you posted; have not seen one in a while. I did get a set of Pachmayr grips but they are for a Mk II; could not find any for a Mk I. Stainless finish is very handsome but can also produce glare in rare circumstances.
    Yes, I also have a Mark 2 6.78. I preferred it over the 5.5-inch bull barrel, though as I get older, I think the bull barrel might have been a better way to go. But when I got it, the 6.78 was cheaper and my vision was better.

I will say this about the AMT, I got several of them when I had my FFL. I had to test fire a number of them before I found one that didn't jam. The others I returned. I took the one pictured to the range and shot it about 75 rounds without any malfunctions.

One tech guy I knew years ago wrote an article that said that no one should trust an automatic until they put 200 rounds thru it. Unlike revolvers, autos get better the more you shoot them, he said. Still, I've never fired more rounds than the 75. I rapid fired it, then did a slow fire. It's better by far than any Ruger auto.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Just another crappy title unrelated to the post. Happens frequently and one of the main reasons a good Search is near impossible here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom