What's your favorite junk pistol for the range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    It's gotta be my cz52. I love the 7.62x25 as a cartridge and how this sumbitch just flings brass almost as hard as it throws the bullets. It's also extremely accurate, despite the old bore. The only negative is ergonomics kindve suck, especially the safety/decocker that wears a hole in my thumb when I shoot this too much.

I'd be hard pressed to call that junk, but hey haha. My Jennings J-22 wants its money back.
    I agree with Saint on this one. Not junk! I’d say it’s Over engineered, with a cool roller locker action Very similar to that used on the MG42. The 7.62x25 round, is a zippy little round too.
    The downfall is the the ergonomics are absolutely horrible! How did they get so much right, and then completely make it feel so bad in hand?

Oh, and a fun “junk pistol” to take out shooting is my FIE Titan in .25 acp. It’s made with crappy materials but it’s reliable and surprisingly accurate.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Can honestly say i dont have any junk firearms, would gladly just save for quality

I have plenty of quality firearms, junk guns are just plain fun to shoot. Great to teach people on learning to properly address and clear jams, too. Seriously, it's a fantastic training tool haha.

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    Here's mine, the GSG firefly .I tried several types of ammo, spring swaps polish job etc . For some reason I still keep it around though. When it does work its good enough for plinking despite the shit trigger. It is handy for identifying flinch though cuz you never know if it's gonna go off.

IMG_20211124_191732730.jpg

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Here's mine, the GSG firefly .I tried several types of ammo, spring swaps polish job etc . For some reason I still keep it around though. When it does work its good enough for plinking despite the shit trigger. It is handy for identifying flinch though cuz you never know if it's gonna go off.

View attachment 410441
    At least you got the threaded barrel version!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I wouldn't call it junk, but my Russian Capture P38 is a good shooter. It was assembled by the Commies from three different P38s, with the slide, barrel, and frame force-matched to each other, then dipped in some black commie coating. Reliable with Winchester White Box, but it won't feed Remington UMC. Good sights and I don't have to worry about destroying "collector value" by shooting it

Jul 1, 2012
    yeah, the Rem-UMC OAL is a tad longer than standard and the P38 hates it.

This Colt definitely wasn't junk when new but it sure was when I got it 110 years later. Parts missing, the obvious blown-up barrel, poorly-made steel firing pin (original is brass), hammer/sear worn. Basically a giant mess. I wound up spending more than it's worth to fix it, but it does shoot well, and like Threeband said, I don't have to worry about messing up a collectible example. And I can always tear it back down and sell the parts LOL.
    www.jpg

xxx.JPG

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Walther P-22. Too ammo brand dependant.

I was going to say my P-22 also but now that I started shooting Stingers out of it it's actually really a lot of fun to shoot. Way more than a plinker now! So good, in fact, that my shooting buddy bought one for himself (out of purgatory this weekend).

I really don't have any junk guns. I have an XD40 that I never shoot because I just don't like it though.

Hy Hunter Western Marshall in .22

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk

Wanted to elaborate a bit more on this. Wanted to get into Club SAA on the cheap and C&R-able; and remembered stories about the legendary J. P. Sauer & Sohn was forced to abandon its ahead-of-its-time 38H in the postwar years and had to make due with manufacturing Colt SAA clones for the American market in the 1950s for the equally legendary Hy Hunter. Came into one with issues which turned out to be a loose cylinder pin and chewed-up ratchet.

If you want an SAA clone real bad, this is a real bad SAA clone. It has no updates like the Ruger Single Six or Hi-Standard, and it feels downright "Victorian" to shoot. Any attempt to shoot it faster than a snail's pace will result in the cylinder binding up, and the accuracy is minute of car door at 25 feet. Did I mention its mostly pot metal with steel inserts for the barrel and cylinders?

Its total junk, but it gives me the complete SAA experience, which makes for interesting range trips

IMG_0552.JPG

(In all fairness, I am told the centerfire Western Marshalls are a lot better-made)

Beefcube

Sammich King
    Mar 15, 2011
    Westminster
    Maybe cheap but can't call it junk because I have a SCCY CPX-1 I've shot for a few years now and only slightly clean. Damn thing won't quit or malfunction.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Hy Hunter Western Marshall in .22

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk
    My dad has a Hy Hunter. It has these weird white and brown grips that are supposed to look like something Western.

I don't personally own any junk guns. My revolvers are all Rugers, my semis are all Glocks. My trainer is a Single-Six. Inexpensive, but not junk.

FZRracer400!

Nov 8, 2022
    RIP MD.
    My personal favorite junk is my first p80 g19. It was really junk when I first “built” it with all p80 frame parts/trigger. Swapped it all out to oem Glock parts and it’s been 100% reliable through over a case of ammo.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    I don't think I have any true junk guns. Maybe the closest would be my "cheap" High Standard Sentinel revolver. It actually has a nice breaking trigger in SA mode and is fun to shoot, and looking at Gunbroker just now, seems they are finally getting some love.

A gun I have that isn't junk but I hate shooting like it was junk is my 1.0 S&W Shield in .40 S&W. The trigger is total cr@p. It's not particularly fun to shoot, and the accuracy is side of the barn suck, even after a trip back to S&W, which helped, but it still honestly sucks compared to everything else I own.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I guess it depends on what you call junk. This one is my new favorite beater. Picked it up pretty recent. Sent it to S&W to repair the yoke screw as it is stripped on the frame. They sent it back "Obsolete model, no parts". I guess they can't drill and tap or repair the threads on the frame. Not shocked, but still hoped. Anyway, it was a consignment. Found in a box in their old mans garage when he died. It was probably in that box on a shelf in the garage for years. Sadly ate in to the nickel plating. A bit of a rough bore, pitting on the top strap, rough finish. But MAN, she'll shoot 6 rounds into a fist sized hole off hand at 25yds without breaking a sweat. And the trigger and action are just Sooooooooooo smooth.

She's a 4 on the streets, but a 9 in the sheets.

My new to me 27-2 .357 I just got back from S&W.

PS Yoke screw is retained by what is left of the threads and some blue locktite for now. I'll either drill and tap it a size larger and custom make a pan head screw, get a 5-44 thread repair insert to repair it, or find a gunsmith to do it for me if I chicken out. Some day. Not much force on the yoke screw, so carefully putting the screw in and blue locktite might be enough for years and years.

Attachments

• SW 27_2.jpg
      SW 27_2.jpg
      365.3 KB · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads