Whats the effective Range of a Crossbow?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vballbach

Jan 16, 2013
    Odenton, MD
    I have a Barnett. I would never shoot at a deer beyonf 35-40 yards. For target a sighting in, mine will shoot 3" MOA at 80 yards. The energy is enought to punch my bolt complete pass throught my block target!!!

vballbach

Jan 16, 2013
    Odenton, MD
    Jus picked up a Bowtech Strykeforce on a trade. Chrono my 425g bolt at 402 _+ 2 ft/sec. Again,punching the botl completly throughmy brand new Block at 100 yards!!!

Would never dream shoting at anyting live at that distant but way fun taarget shooting at that distant.

Anyone in the market for a 1 year old Barnett Penetrator complete with bult-in crank?

willythewhale

Mar 31, 2013
    calvert co
    Ive seen deer killed out past 60 yds w/ a vertical bow, but that being said, cross bows are shooting significantly lighter bolts which equals a faster decrease in down range energy. id say 50 yds is max for a modern heavy draw cross bow. im not saying you cant kill a deer past 50 yds im just saying the bow will be more effective w/in 50 yards.

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    Last time I went bow hunting, crossbows required a special permit. Now that you can hunt with them withoutjumping through hoops, I was wondering what the effective range was? I would be looking at 175lb draw.

Thanks

Having killed dozens of deer with my Excalibur Equinox (225 lbs) I don't shoot at a deer beyond 20 yards. Why? Because crossbows are very noisy! The more distance you have, the greater the chance for bad things to happen, like the deer jumping the string. Do yourself, and more importantly the deer, a favor and keep your shots to 20 yards and under. You will practically eliminate unrecovered deer if you do your part.

Instead of asking how far you can shoot, you will have MUCH more fun asking yourself how close can you shoot. Arrowing a deer at 2 yards is a much better high than arrowing one at 30.

Twanger

DINO and NRA Life
    Mar 4, 2013
    Poolesville
    My Tac15 hits with more energy at 100 yards (arrow still going 330 fps) than most vertical bows have at 1 yard.
    It will also shoot 3-inch groups at 100 yards in no-wind.
    I had an 11 year old kid shoot a 4-inch group at 90 yards on his first try.
    That said, I really consider it a 50 yard weapon, and have personally not shot a deer beyond 35 yards.
    At 50 yards you cannot shoot arrows at the same target or you will Robinhood them.

The Achilles heel of of this bow is wind-drift. A 5-mph breeze will waft an arrow right out of the KZ at 100 yards.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    My Tac15 hits with more energy at 100 yards (arrow still going 330 fps) than most vertical bows have at 1 yard.
    It will also shoot 3-inch groups at 100 yards in no-wind.
    I had an 11 year old kid shoot a 4-inch group at 90 yards on his first try.
    That said, I really consider it a 50 yard weapon, and have personally not shot a deer beyond 35 yards.
    At 50 yards you cannot shoot arrows at the same target or you will Robinhood them.

The Achilles heel of of this bow is wind-drift. A 5-mph breeze will waft an arrow right out of the KZ at 100 yards.

Good to see you on here Twanger!

Twanger

DINO and NRA Life
    Mar 4, 2013
    Poolesville
    +2

Sent from my smartphone using Tappatalk 2.

Thanks guys!
    I keep trying to get more practice with my vertical bow this year, but events conspire against me.
    I have gotten into guns and building an AR, and between that and work, ugh.
    Hard to find the time.
    I miss hunting deer with my vertical bow, but the Tac15 really puts a whammy on them!:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom