What's the cheapest way and place in MD to be trained for the CCW?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Not real cheap to get the nra instructor, you need to take the course you wish to teach, then the BIT (basic instructor training), then the instructor level course for the class you want to teach.

That's fair. When you have a family of 4 and you need to do it every 2-3 years for MD, biting the bullet once and paying someone who isn't MD is cheaper for the soul.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    You actually do need to renew your nra creds every two years but the cost is not prohibitive (35 for nra members who hold instructor ratings) and it is one fee whether you hold one rating or half a dozen.

Thanks for keeping me honest. Always forget about the $35 renewal fee.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    NRA just added renewing your BIT every 2 years to maintain instructor status, so add on whatever you pay a TC for the BIT class to the $35. BIT can be done remote, but it won't be free.

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    The cheapest 16 hour CCW class I've heard of was $99 a couple months ago. It was a special they were running and you had to email or call them to get the special rate. I think their normal rate is $250. The class was held in Dundalk and they used Continental for the range test.

The best class I've heard of, based on input from friends was in North Harford. They said it was expensive, but worth every penny.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    That's fair. When you have a family of 4 and you need to do it every 2-3 years for MD, biting the bullet once and paying someone who isn't MD is cheaper for the soul.
    Just the same, if you do become an instructor and save your family some cash, don't stop taking classes from professional instructors. Same for your family members. Use some of that saved cash to keep your skills (and your family members') active and improving, don't let it go stale.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    In my experience there is an advantage in NOT taking classes from the same instructor over and over. The first 3 classes I took were from the same instructor, but scheduling didn't let me take the next class from the same instructor, I had to go elsewhere. When I took the next class from someone else I realized how much more I could learn by taking classes from other instructors. From then on, I have gone out of my way to take classes from as many different instructors as scheduling allowed and have found it to be very enriching. Of the 25 or so classes I have taken over the past 10 years I only found one instructor I would rate as "so-so" and one as "avoid"

I even advise my students in my classes to do the same

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The best class I've heard of, based on input from friends was in North Harford. They said it was expensive, but worth every penny.

Did your friends have the experience and depth of knowledge to evaluate a Reasonably Good class , from an Outstanding class ?

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Why cheap out on training designed to save your life? Also trying to negate someone's time and knowledge AND the capacity/ability to convey it in a manner that everyman (and woman) can absorb and recall is priceless...The MSP fees can rot, training is priceless

Training is good. Training mandates are bad. But what training is really appropriate is a very personal thing.

If you are an experienced gun guy, you will be in a class with inexperienced folks, and will therefor be bored out of your skull as they get up to speed. Many of us have been shooting safely for decades. The mandated training is largely a hoop to jump through and a waste of money for many of us who have more trigger time than the instructors.

Training is not all that standardized anyhow, last I checked (I'm happy to be exempt in this state, though I've taken several basic classes in other states in the past which mostly had me twiddling my thumbs).

Your need for self defense could be RIGHT NOW. Jumping through hoops for months could be fatal.

Training is EXPENSIVE. Often times, those who need a firearm the most do not have a lot of discretionary cash laying about. I have a good job and a good paycheck and I still can't just willy nilly throw several hundred dollars around without thinking about it versus competing needs first. For many, these added costs could be prohibitive. Add in that training can be hard to get and ranges can be hard to visit, especially for those folks without cars in the inner city. You know, those most likely to need it.

We are adults, and should be treated as such. We can decide on the appropriate level of training for our needs. Many folks will just keep their firearm in a sock drawer or something most of the time, and get a CCW to keep them out of legal trouble should something change where they suddenly feel in danger. Basic training is certainly good, police level training overkill, and John Wick training absurd for many folks. Basic safety training (don't point at anything you aren't prepared to destroy, keep your finger off the damn trigger until you are ready to destroy it) can be done by Uncle Joe in an hour or two, and basic marksmanship with Uncle Joe in another hour or two. After that it is mostly practice. Dry firing and holster drills can be done at home for literally no cost (outside of the firearm and holster, of course).

We aren't soldiers, or cops (most of us, that is those that this training is aimed at). Our needs are somewhat different. More training provides an opportunity for increased competence, better decision making, perhaps safer operations, better accuracy, and perhaps an opportunity to practice and prepare in more realistic scenarios. And it can be fun. A basic CCW class, however, is not likely to be of much benefit to these needs. And many a poorly trained civilian has successfully defended their lives without it.

For those unfamiliar and uncomfortable with firearms, training of some sort is a really, really good idea. But their rights to self defense should not be dependent on jumping through hoops that may be difficult to do, for whatever reason. The four universal safety rules was included in practically every gun owners manual I've ever seen. While less than ideal, they aren't a secret. Hell, most gang bangers aren't accidentally shooting themselves most of the time (though they don't always have the appropriate concern about collateral damage when engaged in urban combat...that is a not a gun safety concern so much as a basic respect for life concern).

If you can afford the cost and time, train as much as you can with the best trainers you can get. You'll be better for it. But understand that for many, this is an insurmountable obstacle.

FWIW, my dream scenario for training would have every high school student go through a basic NRA style gun safety course in school. If safety is really the goal, this seems like a no-brainer. Of course, we all know that the goal is to make firearms socially unacceptable, so this will never happen.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    NRA just added renewing your BIT every 2 years to maintain instructor status, so add on whatever you pay a TC for the BIT class to the $35. BIT can be done remote, but it won't be free.
    Thanks for keeping ME honest!
    In my experience there is an advantage in NOT taking classes from the same instructor over and over. The first 3 classes I took were from the same instructor, but scheduling didn't let me take the next class from the same instructor, I had to go elsewhere. When I took the next class from someone else I realized how much more I could learn by taking classes from other instructors. From then on, I have gone out of my way to take classes from as many different instructors as scheduling allowed and have found it to be very enriching. Of the 25 or so classes I have taken over the past 10 years I only found one instructor I would rate as "so-so" and one as "avoid"

I even advise my students in my classes to do the same
    I've found a few to avoid for various reasons but more importantly I have found that I seek out different instructors for different things. I know a TC who is an excellent educator and instructor developer. I would absolutely seek his input on a concept I am working on or attend an instructor development program he puts on. The reason is because he is going to improve my delivery, even if whatever material is not in his wheelhouse.

I am taking an ECCC class with a group that I had only met as a result of them hosting an outside instructor I wanted to take a class from. If I had not taken that guest instructor class, I would not likel have met the host crew. Two have significant medical background. I am returning for the medical course.

Some curricula (tiered courses in a specific subject) are probably best finished with a specific program/instructor but others are more open. That shouldn't stop anyone from seeking out other instructors on any subject. You are absolutely correct.

I have a deep obsession with precision rifle work but when a guy I know hit me up and told me he was putting on a "carbine grind" I realized that I had not done any outside courses with an m4 or subgun in a while. The mp5 got a workout and I got a lot of abuse from him (I'll get even when he brings his boltgun out). This is an example of me seeking out someone who I know will apply a lot of pressure. He will use our familiarity as a tool to do so.

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    Did your friends have the experience and depth of knowledge to evaluate a Reasonably Good class , from an Outstanding class ?

Based on who's criteria? We discussed how and what was taught based on our classes from different places and that's how we determined which we thought was best. But being that they took the class determined if they felt it was worth the cost they paid and based on what was told to them about our classes, they were shocked.

I can tell you, I took a $199 class and it was very basic. It was taught to the minimum using a power point slide show. The instructor basically just read the slides out loud to us. There was no info packet and we didn't have to take notes since there was no knowledge test. We were told just to take pictures of the slides if we wanted to have the info on the slide(s).
    There was no information that the class offered except for some possible updated law (I took the class in Aug, and we weren't even told about SB1), that wasn't in the old video I watched, to get that paper permit to buy a handgun before the HQL was required. The instructor only held up his personal gun to show us different ways to rack and holster, but did pass the gun around the class when I asked if we could look at it. loading/unloading and maintenance of a firearm was a slide show.

When we went to the range, not owning a handgun at the time, I rented from them. When I went to load the gun, I was asked if I knew how to load a magazine. I also watched the instructor load the magazine of 2 of the other students because they couldn't do it. Those two, IMO, should have failed the class. The instructor had to let them use his personal gun, with the red dot, to pass the range test. There were more reasons then just that, IMO. I felt half the class did terrible at the range. The instructor said that was was the best shooting he saw from any of his past classed.

BTW, this class I took has a 5 star google review (At the time I took the class, it was double digits in review. When I checked the other day, they had hundreds of reviews all 5 stars) . I'm guessing because at the end of the class, they offer to assist with the application, at no additional charge, if you leave a google review. They did say it didn't matter if it was good or bad. They also offered to give a link to their private FB group, if you left a review at that time.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    That is not a viable argument. That is an inference at best.
    There are too many people (heck there is a thread in here right now about a LGS clerk revoking his birth certificate) That HAVE some training doing stupid crap....I have zero problems with basic training being a requirement to carry

Required training is bullsh*t. Personal responsibility should rule the day.
    Make no mistake, required training isn’t about safety, it’s about another government imposed hurdle to exercise a right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Excuse me for indirectly quoting instead of editing CrabJoe's post .

" Based on who's Criteria ? "

Exactly where I was going . For students who don't know what they don't know , or have only rudimentary concept of what they wish to learn / what would be reasonably prudent to learn / what would be reasonable to be able to aquire within such a class , don't really have a meaningful Criteria to judge one way or the other .

" Had a 5 Star Google Review rating "

Could mean :

Received a Poll Tax Receipt afterwards.

The Instructor wasn't overly obnoxious, didn't have extreme BO , and was interesting enough they didn't fall asleep in class very often .

They learned * something * they didn't know before .

Or could mean :

Learned presentations from multiple concealment positions.

Learned shooting from awkward positions.

Was coached on technique, so as to have double digit % improvements in both speed and accuracy of first shot hits .

Improved two hand reloads , plus Learned one hand reloads.

Etc

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hell. I'm going to take an Intro to pistol class with former Delta Bob Shinobi down Florida at https://www.sofs3.com/, since I'll be near there anyway.
    I just want to meet the guy, see how he does things and to use the site. It's pretty awesome. It'll probably cost me 1,000 bucks for 2 nights room, class, ammo, gas, etc... especially if I decide to take his intro to carbine class.
    I think he has some classes scheduled at Peacemaker in April. I think he's there a few times s year actually. Going try and talk him into becoming an IP.

ustasc

Jan 14, 2014
    Cheaper is not always better of course. Different instructors have different methods of instruction. While all instructors have to teach the new mandated standard, some instructors also teach tactical concepts and stress innoculated shooting. Some just put you in front of a firearms simulator, "teach you" for 15 hours and take you to the range to fire 25 rounds.

Our opinion is that it is always better to take course where hopefully you can learn something. Even if you have been shooting your entire life, it's always to get different viewpoints on new concepts, equipment, and training. We realize that in the 2nd amendment community there sometimes is an air of "I have been shooting for 20 years, I don't need any instruction". Perhaps, but anytime you consider yourself a "shooting expert", you loose the ability to learn effectively. As far as the course being a scam... the requirement for the state may suck, but instructors are just like any other profession in which they should be paid for their time.

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    Trying to move out
    Required training is bullsh*t. Personal responsibility should rule the day.
    Make no mistake, required training isn’t about safety, it’s about another government imposed hurdle to exercise a right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1

I like to voluntarily take training because I think that most add value and helps improve skills.

But I don’t like to be told what to do and I don’t like it imposed on others.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I've always heard the nationally known instructors talk about how they hate to teach on .gov contracts (money aside) because the students aren't there because they want to be there, only because they HAVE to. And then I took my W&C class and felt like all those cops in the "required" training, wondering "how long before lunch?"

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I've always heard the nationally known instructors talk about how they hate to teach on .gov contracts (money aside) because the students aren't there because they want to be there, only because they HAVE to. And then I took my W&C class and felt like all those cops in the "required" training, wondering "how long before lunch?"
    Why would a cop take a WC class?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Now that we have a kind of curriculum, why don't we have an online course with a field day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tyler42232

Latest threads

Top Bottom