What's the cheapest way and place in MD to be trained for the CCW?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Why cheap out on training designed to save your life? Also trying to negate someone's time and knowledge AND the capacity/ability to convey it in a manner that everyman (and woman) can absorb and recall is priceless...The MSP fees can rot, training is priceless
    I only oppose training when it is actually gatekeepering.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I only oppose training when it is actually gatekeepering.
    I agree with the concept, but what is gatekeeping for you or me, or maybe the experienced, isn't for everyone....then the question is "Where is the line drawn?" I think the concession/line in this case is assuming someone who holds a DD214 is reasonably trained and therefore gets a pass, all others must be "trained".

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    That is not a viable argument. That is an inference at best.
    There are too many people (heck there is a thread in here right now about a LGS clerk revoking his birth certificate) That HAVE some training doing stupid crap....I have zero problems with basic training being a requirement to carry

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    That is not a viable argument. That is an inference at best.
    There are too many people (heck there is a thread in here right now about a LGS clerk revoking his birth certificate) That HAVE some training doing stupid crap....I have zero problems with basic training being a requirement to carry

Most here are going to disagree with this just because of 2A. I completely understand their stance. In a perfect world, people would decide for themselves how much training they need and would go get it. The government wouldn't have any control. As we all know, the Constitution is a limit on the government and not on us.

In the world we live in, the government has taken every inch we have surrendered and stretched it as far as possible. They have tried to maximize the control they get and minimized our freedoms. They have long stopped making laws that could at least have been seen for the greater good and have been making laws that create more dependency and generate more votes for them. They have put me in a place where I have to choose between putting guns in people's hands who really shouldn't have them or letting the government insert itself into the process. Given the choice, I choose the former since it is the lesser evil.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Why cheap out on training designed to save your life? Also trying to negate someone's time and knowledge AND the capacity/ability to convey it in a manner that everyman (and woman) can absorb and recall is priceless...The MSP fees can rot, training is priceless.
    I cheaped out because I probably have had more and better training than the people offering it. I just wanted the rubber stamp, as it were. I understand that many/most are not in my shoes, but it's nice to have options.

The training demanded by MSP/MD law is not designed to save your life. It's not even designed to fill the 16 hrs. It exists.....to exist.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I cheaped out because I probably have had more and better training than the people offering it. I just wanted the rubber stamp, as it were. I understand that many/most are not in my shoes, but it's nice to have options.

The training demanded by MSP/MD law is not designed to save your life. It's not even designed to fill the 16 hrs. It exists.....to exist.
    lol yes. If this is the only training you're ever going to do, by all means, pick a fancy program. Otherwise, do the minimum, get your W&C license, and then take some training from truly excellent instructors... the ones who have more things to teach than CCW courses over and over.

bryanemtb

Industry Partner
    Jun 27, 2022
    salisbury, md
    It seems that the fee from the MD police site is $125 + $65 for finger printing.
    Some range offer a $40 training class to qualify to buy a handgun and also a $300 class for CCW. Is that $300 a scam?
    If I understand well, there's no special training to be able to carry, correct?
    Atlantic Tactical Firearms Trainers is absolutely the best place to get your training! I have used them for the last 7 years for all of my CCW classes and renewals. They have a state of the art police force on force simulator that you use during training, that puts you in real life situations, and they have their own private range where you shoot to qualify. I just found out that right now they are running great specials through the end of the year; MD CCW for $275 per person or $500 for 2 people, $300 for MD CCW and Arizona plus your choice of Utah or Florida (3 states), and MD CCW, Arizona, Utah, Florida, Virginia, DC and Delaware for $350 (7 states).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I cheaped out because I probably have had more and better training than the people offering it. I just wanted the rubber stamp, as it were.

Yes , this is legitimate. Why Options are good , Instructors should be up front , and prospective students should communicate in advance .

It exists to harass and discourage.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Most people don't care about extra "real" training. They'll spend $1,000 on a couple cases of ammo, more on guns, but won't drop $300 or even less for a day of training.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The
    It's ok to be ok with an increasing possibility of a moron shooting you instead of the person needing shot.
    We are all entitled to our opinion
    "Nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot...."

The thing is , we don't need to Wonder about the effects of CCW Manditory training , we already Know !

During the time window when most everywhere was Shall Issue , but before the wave of Permitless , the various states had various procedures . They could be broadly categorized into three catagories :

1. Explicit specific course of instruction.

2. Some form of training or experience , but largely open ended , to include most anything .

3. No training requirements

As regards to members of the public being injured from ND , inadvertently hit after missing BG , or mistakenly being shot on purpose , there is no statistical difference or pattern between the categories .

The roles and duties of LE and ( General Public ) self defense are different , and don't always directly corelate , but FWIW , ( General Public defenders ) shoot fewer bystanders by mistake than LE . ( Not cop bashing )

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Atlantic Tactical Firearms Trainers is absolutely the best place to get your training! I have used them for the last 7 years for all of my CCW classes and renewals. They have a state of the art police force on force simulator that you use during training, that puts you in real life situations, and they have their own private range where you shoot to qualify. I just found out that right now they are running great specials through the end of the year; MD CCW for $275 per person or $500 for 2 people, $300 for MD CCW and Arizona plus your choice of Utah or Florida (3 states), and MD CCW, Arizona, Utah, Florida, Virginia, DC and Delaware for $350 (7 states).
    Why are they charging extra fees for states that require no more additional training?

TD

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Cheapest way by far is to become NRA certified. It is a 1 time fee, with no need ever to recertify and you can bypass most of the MD requirements. The added bonus is that you can certify your own family (or anyone else for that matter) for free until the end of time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ehhh .

I'll get around to again getting Cert probably next year , for the reasons of being able to train other people . But for just ones self , it's about a wash these days .

Take Basic Pistol as student
    Take BIT
    Take actual Instructor class .

The total for all three is overlapping into W&C Class price range .

Back in the day , only needed the NRA Instructor training , but that was then , this is now .

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    Good point; however, it shouldn't end after the class is over. Continue to train, practice live firing at the range, and continue to take classes.
    I agree, I took a class that did 400 rounds and once I get my permits and gun I plan to train more and more. I went from never touching a handgun to 400 rounds through one and saw my improvements as the day went on paying for a real handgun course is well worth it no matter how "good" you think you are someone may have some tips to improve.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Cheapest way by far is to become NRA certified. It is a 1 time fee, with no need ever to recertify and you can bypass most of the MD requirements. The added bonus is that you can certify your own family (or anyone else for that matter) for free until the end of time.
    I advocate for people to become instructor credentialed because more people that take it seriously is better. When your friends or family need help, or your gun club wants to offer a class, it is a benefit.

You actually do need to renew your nra creds every two years but the cost is not prohibitive (35 for nra members who hold instructor ratings) and it is one fee whether you hold one rating or half a dozen.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Not real cheap to get the nra instructor, you need to take the course you wish to teach, then the BIT (basic instructor training), then the instructor level course for the class you want to teach.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RamDoug

Latest threads

Top Bottom