What to look for when checking out used bows?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hey All,

I've been casually trolling Craigslist for a bow - any kind to learn on - and I'm perplexed on what to look for on these things as far as condition goes. Some have strings, some say need restringing, etc....

I'm trying to budget $250 for the bow itself - realistic?

Anyway, any help on the basics on what to look for when checking out a used bow, would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and I'm open to whatever kind to learn on - long, recurve, compound....

Lastly, if anyone here knows of a N00B friendly Archery Shop close to or in MOCO, I'd truly appreciate the info.

THanks in advance!:bowdown: --JB

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    My suggestion would be to find an archery club nearby and go there.. talk to some of the members that are there. My experience with archers is that they are most willing to be very helpful, lend equipment, heck most there probably own more than one bow! lol

You can find many of the clubs in MD listed here. I have shot at pretty much all of them, though I try to avoid the DC area like the plague!! (sorry.. ;) )

http://www.md-archery.org/md_clubs.htm

I know AA Archers used to hold summer classes for newbies, a great way to get introduced to archery!!

Used bows are tricky if you don't know about bows.. fit is very important in choosing the correct bow, more so than the actual bow itself.. A pro shop would be a good stop too!

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Excellent people to deal with. May be a bit far for you, I can't recall any pro shops that are closer though.

http://www.jeffersonarchery.com/

Also might want to check out ArcheryTalk forums. Buying used can be a bit of a problem. You have to trust the seller on it. Some manufactures offer transferable lifetime warranties. Elite Archery is one, but even used they will be above your price. Can you kick that up a bit, opens up alot more possibilities?

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Thanks all - I travel regionally for work, so I'm not adverse to drivin for the right kinda schoolin. I'll definitely check those links out and do some diggin! Much appreciated! --JB

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    If you change your mind let me know. Its actually a very easy bow to shoot and you will appreciate the high drop off when you have to hold the draw for a while.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    that marquis would actually be a really nice bow for you. its a smooth shooting bow,not alot of hand shock and a nice soft valley to learn on. cant beat the price either for a turn key set up

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom