• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Noob here AR15 .556 building. I understand a hbar is necessary...how about heavy profile? (Something that weighs not too much) does that exist?
    I want to get a 14.5 barrel and add a 1.75" comp to get over 16 inches.
    I'm not sure:
    1) what brands make decent 14.5
    2) chromoly barrel ok?
    3) is there a way to make pin/weld able to remove alone? (Lightly set pin)
    4) do I need to care about pin/weld for it's semi permanent nature. Must I have access to what's behind the pin for non upgrades?
    Thank you!!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Either skip 5.56 and go for something like 300 blk so you don't have to worry about the stupid HBAR rule, or build it off a pistol lower so you don't have to worry about that stupid HBAR rule. If you must have both 5.56 and a rifle lower, then get a fluted barrel from a reputable manufacturer that's marked "HBAR" on it.

For no reason whatsoever, I'm posting this cool sale on amazon.
    Amazon product ASIN B01JTB6UUE

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Pin and welds can be drilled out without causing harm. I've done it myself.

I recommend these Colt barrels. Chrome lined heavy barrel. Shop around for a better price. A few dealers will offer pinning and welding MDs at an extra cost of course.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Could always buy the stamp and SBR it. Can put any profile 14.5” barrel you desire on it. Eforms are easy to fill out and the Form1s come back quick. You can also convert it back from being an SBR (number of reasons you might want to). $$$ spent Paying a shop to pin and weld could go towards the stamp instead.

King Chicken

MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Either skip 5.56 and go for something like 300 blk so you don't have to worry about the stupid HBAR rule, or build it off a pistol lower so you don't have to worry about that stupid HBAR rule. If you must have both 5.56 and a rifle lower, then get a fluted barrel from a reputable manufacturer that's marked "HBAR" on it.

For no reason whatsoever, I'm posting this cool sale on amazon.
    Amazon product ASIN B01JTB6UUE
    Can't see or load sale.
    Thanks for the response.

I'm starting with an 80% lower.
    Are there pistol braces that include a buffer?
    Im settled on 556 cuz I'm good w that caliber and want to keep it that way :) I really would like to counter recoil as much as possible.
    Thanks again!

King Chicken

MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Pin and welds can be drilled out without causing harm. I've done it myself.

I recommend these Colt barrels. Chrome lined heavy barrel. Shop around for a better price. A few dealers will offer pinning and welding MDs at an extra cost of course.

Ty for response. I looked at socom barrels but have read people saying they aren't hbar and couldn't find anything on product listings saying it was an hbar. Hmmm...

King Chicken

MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    The Colts are sold as Hbars.
    Well tickle me timbers. I'll look again. I noticed they come with standard non adjustable gas block. I've read many places that most ar15s are way over gassed and that adjustable gas blocks can help remedy that. What are your thoughts? I do however appreciate the m16 sight since thats what I used in the 'rines. Ty!!!

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Very few companies make a standalone 14.5'' Heavy Barrel. Colt offers their SOCOM barrel which satisfies the Heavy requirement because of how it's advertised, but it's pretty consistently overpriced.

Daniel Defense makes SOCOM block ii "clone" uppers, available on Brownells, that have the same profile as the Colt barrel and are advertised as heavy, but DD does not sell the barrel by itself. It's a spectacular upper, especially if you enjoy the heavy duty RIS ii rails. Mine is incredibly accurate for what it is. Not exactly a bargain at around $900 but it's worth it for the quality, IMO. You could always buy it, disassemble it and sell the quad rail and then reassemble with whatever rail you want. The upper does not come with a flash hider, so you'll need to buy an extended flash hider and pay a gunsmith to pin/weld it (Duffy's did it for me for $60).

Another option is to buy a Ballistic Advantage 16 inch mid length HBAR for around $150, then send it to D. Wilson Manufacturing in CO and pay to have it chopped and then pinned/welded with an extended flashider. You'll want to send at least the barrel nut and gas block with the barrel, in that case. D. Wilson's prices for this are VERY reasonable, IMO.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Thoughts on the m4 front sight/gas block always being too over gassed and contributing to excess dirt, recoil, gas in face etc? Spank you.

Nothing about any type of gas block (unless its adjustable) has any bearing of the gassing of the rifle. It comes down to gas port sizing on the actual barrel, which can vary considerably between manufacturers. Some disclose, some dont.

King Chicken

MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Not sure if this is a joke, as there is no 'smiley' in your post, and I'm fairly stupid.

But all bourbon is whiskey.

Perhaps post up in the Introductions forum, so we can know you better:

That was in fact a joke. Notice the extended use of periods as well as the underlying sass (: you have any experience with adjustable gas block .556 ar15? Keep reading most ar15s are "too" over gassed. Ty! Or should a beginner just go basic. Building up from 80% lower and stripped upper

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    That was in fact a joke. Notice the extended use of periods as well as the underlying sass (: you have any experience with adjustable gas block .556 ar15? Keep reading most ar15s are "too" over gassed. Ty! Or should a beginner just go basic. Building up from 80% lower and stripped upper
    Guns are icky and scary. I eschew them with all my might.

My only experience with gas is from Busch's Best beans.

In my experience, "extended use of periods" does not = humor, but as stated, I can lift a tun, but cannot spell it.

Again, perhaps post up in the Introductions forum, so we can know you better.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Not sure if this is a joke, as there is no 'smiley' in your post, and I'm fairly stupid.

But all bourbon is whiskey.

Perhaps post up in the Introductions forum, so we can know you better:

but not all whisky is bourbon... :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom