• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Hmm must not have submit my reply.

So I a very close friend who lets his cats sleep on his coveralls, smokes in his stand and iirc pees from his stand to the ground. Hes the most successful hunter I know. Typically bagging 8-12 a year on very limited time in the woods. 3 during muzzle loader and opening day this year i believe. And that was with 3 days in the woods total.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Ive seen some in the am, most during the afternoon/late evening. Like others said they are around just a matter of being there at the right time.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I see them right before they cave in the fender of my truck. :sad20:

Around here, sun up they are in the woods west of me and sun down in the fields east of me.
    I like to be in the woods around 3 to 4pm and catch them in transit.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    The more time you spend in the stand, the more deer you will see, period. Pack a book, snacks and water. A book will help you sit still and keep your mind occupied. Staying hydrated will help keep you warm. Pee right off the stand. As a lady the mechanics are a little different, but you can probably figure something out. Lots of people carry bottles of piss out of the woods but I quit doing that last year, which happened to be my third year of hunting and the first year I actually killed a deer.

I ended up taking my first deer about 15 minutes after taking a halftime-quantity piss off the stand at about 2 p.m. on December 5, 2013. I think the deer might have actually been walking up to smell the urine on the ground because I shot her about 15 yards from my tree. My hunting buddies were all back at the house getting ready to head back out after lunch when that tasty animal just to my right.

My advice: go to bed early, get to your stand early, stay all day. If that's not fun for you then don't sit that long. This is about having a good time, after all. But that's the best way to see deer. After several hours I always seem to enter this sort of zen state where I can notice every little change in the landscape and have full depth of field vision. Time passes differently. It's great. Good luck!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    For those who can't aim straight, a wide mouth Planter's peanut jar works wonders.

Can empty a bladder 3-4 times with that thing.

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    Hmm must not have submit my reply.

So I a very close friend who lets his cats sleep on his coveralls, smokes in his stand and iirc pees from his stand to the ground. Hes the most successful hunter I know. Typically bagging 8-12 a year on very limited time in the woods. 3 during muzzle loader and opening day this year i believe. And that was with 3 days in the woods total.

while i make an attempt to remain sent free i smoke in the stand pee from the stand and bag deer every year.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    while i make an attempt to remain sent free i smoke in the stand pee from the stand and bag deer every year.
    As do I.. I live off of venison for red meat, have for years and haven't bought red meat in a store for more years than I can count.

I hunt on the edge of suburbia and the deer don't spook as easily as they are used to some human interaction. I have found that they really aren't bothered by much of the normal human activity and their innate curiosity can be used against them very easily.. ;)

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    As do I.. I live off of venison for red meat, have for years and haven't bought red meat in a store for more years than I can count.

I hunt on the edge of suburbia and the deer don't spook as easily as they are used to some human interaction. I have found that they really aren't bothered by much of the normal human activity and their innate curiosity can be used against them very easily.. ;)

So what's it like to hunt deer that look both ways before crossing a road?

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I was there again today, 3:15 to 5:00 and saw ZERO deer. In fact the corn looked about the same as Saturday, like they aren't eating it like they were before. In other words, they are not coming to it? And why are squirrels so danged noisy? A fox could hear them a mile away. Also the squirrels did not go to the corn. Very odd behavior, though maybe they like acorns and beechnuts a lot more.

I thought about the morning thing again, but frankly it's bad enough for me to drive in the dark with my eye problems, adding being tired to the mix is worst. If I had someone who could drop me off and pick me up...

Today it started raining, which is fine as I have waterproof clothing, but my gun got wet. It got into the barrel shroud venting, (not sure if using the right terms here- don't turn me into McCarthy- though I do know it's not a shoulder thingy that goes up...) and I have no idea how to remove the shroud. The gas tube is there, but looks stainless or aluminum? But worried about the barrel and rust. How about covering it with something next time- but what? I was thinking about the jungles of Vietnam...but it wasn't in a mud puddle. Figured it would still fire just fine if a deer had popped out.

BTW the portable urinal- how to use on a stand when wearing a safety harness that loops under the legs? If I undo them, they will be hard to get back without me possibly falling, which the harness is for in the first place. Plus the noise will scare every deer once I start cussing. I think you guys need to ask your wives about this. Might just be easier to unhook and climb down and walk behind the tree a bit and pee there. I need a 2nd drywall bucket. LOL

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    So what's it like to hunt deer that look both ways before crossing a road?
    They don't... had a deer that was shot bolt through a patch of woods on the edge of our farm... then the distinctive sound of a car panel crunching, followed by an immediate screech of brakes.. guess what...

To make matters even more insulting, the hunter waited til the next morning to recover the deer, as it was late and dark.. when he found it, the head had been removed.. :mad54:

So, suburbia does have it's challenges... :lol2:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have used different techniques over the years to my success.. consider this... climb down, walk downwind a good ways, do what ya gotta do.. pee, smoke, whatever, then climb back up.. the key is being out there when the opportunity presents itself and that is my justification for peeing, or smoking, or drinking my morning coffee, eating, texting, whatever.. if I weren't in the stand, cause I wanted to do any of the above away from my stand, I probably would miss many of the opportunities that I have by being in the stand.

I have used human scent to move deer in my direction.. hang a sweaty t-shirt in that thicket downwind that they always go to.... they may just swing on your side of it to get around it.. lol

I actually prefer to hunt mornings.. I think that I see more deer, it is easier to deal with a shot deer, tracking, dressing, etc.. and I have killed most of my big deer during the middle of the day, around noon.. deer move early, mid-day and late.. don't miss out on mid-day hunts when all the rest are taking a break between the morning and evening hunts.

The bucks in our area move well after the does. The does and younguns tend to move early to bed down, before legal shooting time and for about an hour after the opening minutes.. the bucks don't tend to move until 9-10am most times, though some (the really bigguns) will move just at the edge of legal shooting time in the morning.

Be observant.. see where the deer are, even if you have to give up some hunting time to just scout.. feeding patterns change through the season, from crops, to acorns to anything green and this all plays into their routine. The early summer in the corn field feeding patterns disappear after the rut for us and the movement changes, be adaptive and open-minded.. ;)

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I was there again today, 3:15 to 5:00 and saw ZERO deer. In fact the corn looked about the same as Saturday, like they aren't eating it like they were before. In other words, they are not coming to it.

the deer where I hunt won't eat corn if it's in a pile, I spread it out by casting handfuls all over the place. I know it sounds weird, but it works for me and the deer seem to stick around longer since they have to work harder for so little.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I was there again today, 3:15 to 5:00 and saw ZERO deer. In fact the corn looked about the same as Saturday, like they aren't eating it like they were before. In other words, they are not coming to it? And why are squirrels so danged noisy? A fox could hear them a mile away. Also the squirrels did not go to the corn. Very odd behavior, though maybe they like acorns and beechnuts a lot more.

If there are a lot of acorns around (the crop looks big this year) often they will eat those preferentially. If they are not on the corn there might be better food around ... find that. Also, leftover pumpkins or apples. They love that.

Dont worry. Sometimes I see zero deer for long stretches then 5 deer at once. This time of year they tend to herd back up.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    BTW the portable urinal- how to use on a stand when wearing a safety harness that loops under the legs? If I undo them, they will be hard to get back without me possibly falling, which the harness is for in the first place. Plus the noise will scare every deer once I start cussing. I think you guys need to ask your wives about this. Might just be easier to unhook and climb down and walk behind the tree a bit and pee there. I need a 2nd drywall bucket. LOL

Here you go, this should help
    https://vermed.com/catheter-support/how-catheter-support-works

RAF

MDS Supporter
    Dec 24, 2012
    Where I hunt, the deer usually move in the morning 8 - 10, give or take. I rarely see them in the afternoon, most of the time it's from someone in the woods above me going in & pushing them out. Now last year, I did get one in the afternoon about 3:30, they came across the field from the next property.

And as was mentioned, they won't eat corn if it's in piles where we are, have to scatter it around. Funny thing about that, since I quit putting corn out, I've seen many more deer now since I've stopped. Some of the guys around me do bait, it just wasn't worth the extra $$$ for me and getting few results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom