What the Heck is “Tactical Benchrest”???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    What the Heck is “Tactical Benchrest”???
    (besides a whole lot LOT of fun!) Long Post

Tactical benchrest is a 22LR based shooting discipline that gives new (and experienced) shooters an introduction to rimfire PRS (precision rifle shooting) type competition, WITHOUT all the moving around on different “props”.

Typical NRL22/PRS/MARS matches involve shooting a series of stages (usually 5-10) where each stage has a “prop” which shooters shoot FROM, and a target or set of targets that are shot AT. These props often consist of tank traps, barricades, spools, buckets, ladders and other stationary or non-stationary items that rifles are placed on, up to including suspended and swinging platforms shooters must climb onto to shoot. Within each stage there is almost always a requirement of the shooter to move or change positions on the prop. (For example, shooting from four different rungs of a ladder, or moving from shooting from an upside down bucket to a sawhorse.) All stages are timed, with the different sanctioning organizations using different stage timing, typically 90 to 120 seconds.

The targets are usually steel plates of various sizes and shapes placed at different distances. Some stages have targets at a single distance only, but stages usually require the shooter to shoot at targets at two to five different distances, with defined shooting sequences (for example: nearest targets to furthest target in order). Shooters must know how to change their aiming point for the varying target distances (this is called knowing your “dope”), and changing the aiming point is by either using the scopes reticle to hold high or low or by adjusting the scopes elevation settings.
    Challenging? Yup. Fun? Loads!

Tactical Benchrest is a new twist on the typical NRL22/PRS/MARS stage format in which the targets and shooting sequences are exactly the same, but instead of shooting from props and/or requiring a lot of movement during a stage, shooters shoot all stages from a bench! For each stage the rifle is set on a benchtop with a bipod and a rear bag, and the shooter is seated. This eliminates the challenge of setting up and steadying the rifle on a weird prop, and then having to move several times during a stage and necessitating re-steadying the rifle and re-acquiring the targets. This allows new shooters to concentrate on the shooting part, learning how to adjust their aiming point using scope and dope, from a single steady shooting position. An intro to PRS shooting, without all the jumping around! What a GREAT idea!

Where and when can you try this?
    There are at least two Match Directors that are now including “Tactical Benchrest” along with their regular PRS type rimfire matches. The PRS(MARS) type matches held at the Bridgeville Delaware (BRPC) range will include the Tactical BR format. The other “Tactical BR” matches are being held at the Quinton, NJ range, again, alongside their PRS(MARS) type matches. This is a great way for new shooters, and for older shooters who don’t move so fast, to try out PRS style shooting.

What you need to start shooting Tactical Benchrest?
    - a scoped 22LR rifle with a detachable magazine
    (rifles with tubular magazines are not allowed)
    (you could use a single shot rifle, but you would need to reload quickly!)
    - rifle/scope sighted in at 50 yards
    (first focal plane scopes are much preferred over second focal plane scopes)
    - rifle equipped with a front bipod
    (front bag A-OK instead)
    (no BR type front rests)
    - a rear bag
    - some idea of how to adjust aiming point for different distances, from ~25 to 200 yards
    (LOTS of help will be available at the match to assist with this)
    - about 100-150 rounds of ammo (standard or subsonic velocity highly recommended)
    - match fee in cash (Match Directors prefer exact change)

As always, sign up for matches at www.practiscore.com
    (Setting up a Practiscore account is FREE)

To register for the upcoming Jan.7, 2023 Tactical Benchrest match at Bridgeville DE:
    https://practiscore.com/bridgeville-rimfire-tactical-benchrest-match-january-2023/register

To register for the upcoming Jan. 28, 2023 Tactical Benchrest match at Quinton, NJ:
    https://practiscore.com/quinton-tactical-benchrest-january-2023/register

To register for the regular January 2023 PRS/MARS type matches at Bridgeville, DE or Quinton, NJ:
    https://practiscore.com/bridgeville-mars-precision-rimfire-january-2023/register
    https://practiscore.com/quinton-mars-january-2023/register

For more information, contact:
    Steve Jesatko
    bridgevillenrl22@gmail.com

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Anything with "Tactical" in front of the name means it's exactly the same as a lesser priced product, painted "desert tan", is hawked by someone with .mil cred, but never actually used in combat by someone with .mil cred. Unless they have a death wish.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Anything with "Tactical" in front of the name means it's exactly the same as a lesser priced product, painted "desert tan", is hawked by someone with .mil cred, but never actually used in combat by someone with .mil cred. Unless they have a death wish.
    My tactical Underoos disagree.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Bonus if they're cammo!

*****Bigger bonus if they have the tactical stretch pouch, for tactical bedroom engagements, and are in Rhodesian camo pattern.

Chicks never even see you coming! :thumbsup:

(Model below is not me, as the tactical pouch pictured is clearly not filled with a big enough gun..).. :innocent0 Though I do have washboard abs.. From CrossFit.

Dunno if I ever mentioned I do CrossFit..

rhodes.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    *****Bigger bonus if they have the tactical stretch pouch, for tactical bedroom engagements, and are in Rhodesian camo pattern.

Chicks never even see you coming! :thumbsup:

(Model below is not me, as the tactical pouch pictured is clearly not filled with a big enough gun..).. :innocent0 Though I do have washboard abs.. From CrossFit.

Dunno if I ever mentioned I do CrossFit..

View attachment 393965
    Not recently...

Czguy

Jul 12, 2022
    Maryland
    Sorry you feel that way, honestly it is just a way to differentiate between a standard bench rest match which is shot at one distance. The "Tactical Bench rest" is shot at various distances out to 210 yards.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Just a joke. Nothing against your chosen sport.
    Sorry you feel that way, honestly it is just a way to differentiate between a standard bench rest match which is shot at one distance. The "Tactical Bench rest" is shot at various distances out to 210 yards.

Czguy

Jul 12, 2022
    Maryland
    The only issue would be bringing it into Delaware if you are not a Delaware resident. Delaware currently has a ban on any semi automatic rifle with a threaded barrel and collapsible stock. So that would be a problem. If you live in Maryland and would still like to shoot the match. I have loaner rifles available.

Dec 16, 2022
    Maryland
    Just come shoot PRS22/NRL22. There are 80 year old dudes and 10 year old kids shooting. There is always exceptions made for people with mobility issues.

Get a bolt gun. Having to put the gun on safe everytime you move gets real old real quick.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Just come shoot PRS22/NRL22. There are 80 year old dudes and 10 year old kids shooting. There is always exceptions made for people with mobility issues.

Get a bolt gun. Having to put the gun on safe everytime you move gets real old real quick.
    Solid point. Never met a regional series match director who wouldn't adjust procedure for a Junior who couldn't see over a barricade or someone who has a disability. Seen guys shoot PRS who are amputees, have artificial parts, etc.

Whatever match you shoot, be safe and have fun. If you are new, tell the MD and your squad mates. You will be inundated with help and offers to borrow gear.

Czguy

Jul 12, 2022
    Maryland
    Solid point. Never met a regional series match director who wouldn't adjust procedure for a Junior who couldn't see over a barricade or someone who has a disability. Seen guys shoot PRS who are amputees, have artificial parts, etc.

Whatever match you shoot, be safe and have fun. If you are new, tell the MD and your squad mates. You will be inundated with help and offers to borrow gear.
    Absolutely true, I am the match director at Bridgeville, we want people to come out and enjoy the shooting sports. I will make every effort to make necessary concessions to allow any shooter to shoot the matches. As can long as it can be done in a safe manner it is acceptable. The main reason we put these matches on is to give people of all ages a chance to have fun, comradery with other shooters, and an opportunity/ venue for shooters to test their skills and improve them. The environment can be as competitive as you want to make it.

This year the PRS Rimfire Series has multiple categories (Open, Production, Juniors, Seniors, Ladies) that helps level the playing field so you don't have to compete in a gear race.

The bench rest match makes it possible for anyone to shoot. Juniors don't need to struggle lifting a rifle that is to heavy for them and seniors don't have to contort themselves into uncomfortable positions.

Myself and the rest of the shooters want you to attend and be part of a sport we enjoy. Hope to see you at a match.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Absolutely true, I am the match director at Bridgeville, we want people to come out and enjoy the shooting sports. I will make every effort to make necessary concessions to allow any shooter to shoot the matches. As can long as it can be done in a safe manner it is acceptable. The main reason we put these matches on is to give people of all ages a chance to have fun, comradery with other shooters, and an opportunity/ venue for shooters to test their skills and improve them. The environment can be as competitive as you want to make it.

This year the PRS Rimfire Series has multiple categories (Open, Production, Juniors, Seniors, Ladies) that helps level the playing field so you don't have to compete in a gear race.

The bench rest match makes it possible for anyone to shoot. Juniors don't need to struggle lifting a rifle that is to heavy for them and seniors don't have to contort themselves into uncomfortable positions.

Myself and the rest of the shooters want you to attend and be part of a sport we enjoy. Hope to see you at a match.
    Might happen. A lot will depend on scheduling. Most weeks, I work seven days between two jobs.

To those on the fence: try out a rimfire match. They are a blast and the people you meet will be some of the finest, most welcoming, to be found in the shooting sports. Big boy PRS is a lot of fun but you need to have a BIG facility to really make it challenging. There are many more local ranges that can host very challenging rimfire matches. Every MD has a slightly different flavor. This broadens the market.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    To the WUSSES who get tired of pushing the safety button of a semi-auto rimfire (but have to cycle the bolt each shot) . . . Man Up!

To those that might like to try rimfire PRS, but only have a semi . . .
    BRING IT! (A LOT of guys shoot 10/22's - including me.) :gun7:

Last edited:

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    When the top shooters pick up a 10/22, they win. Check out the MARS 800 scores. (Alas, I'm mid-pack on a good day . . . )

Hey "DeathBeforeDismount" of 5 posts - Identify your self at the next match and let's see what happens . . . :evilgrin3

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom