• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    you can get a whole rifle for that price.

Honestly, I dont think thats a good price myself. The "guesswork" in a 308 build IMO mainly relates to 1) ensuring you have the proper upper receiver for the lower (DPMS etc) and 2) making sure that the barrel fits the BCG. some BCG are proprietary.

If you hate the barrel because its a POS then you may have to change the barrel and the bolt for this upper, unlike an AR15.

Best way to alleviate guesswork IMO is to buy mated stripped upper/lower chassis and mated BCG/barrel. Good free float rail on top with low profile gas block will run you another $150 -$200.

Personally, I would not pay $750 for a 80% kit that may contain a barrel I hate. but thats me.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Right now for about $800 I can get an entire Aero rifle in sub-assemblies. I'd go that route and get the warranty.

https://www.schuylerarmsco.com/manufacturer/aero-precision-993

I see what you are saying. Also have done some research in to Aero Precision and there products seem very good. I've built a couple of 80% ar15 lowers and had no problems mating them with mil-spec uppers. I want to try an 80% in 308 but it seems like a cluster f**k as to what manufactures 308 parts will fit in to other manufactures parts.
    My first basic question is--will Aero Precision upper mate with a LR308 pattern 80% lower as far as size of take down and pivot pin holes and also positioning of LPK in the 80% lower?
    As this will be my first 308 build from the ground up with an 80% lower any advice will be greatly appreciated.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I want to try an 80% in 308 but it seems like a cluster f**k as to what manufactures 308 parts will fit in to other manufactures parts.
    My first basic question is--will Aero Precision upper mate with a LR308 pattern 80% lower as far as size of take down and pivot pin holes and also positioning of LPK in the 80% lower?

the only 100% sure way to know is to buy a matched upper/lower set: https://www.5dtactical.com/ar-10-308-matched-set-p/5d-ar308-set-black.htm

Or you could try to buy the upper, buy the lower, try to mate them, and maybe return the upper if it does not mate. Unless you have dinged it, Aero will likely take it back.

this is a half decent guide to more common upper/lower receiver measurements and patterns: https://monstrumtactical.com/blogs/guides/what-is-the-difference-between-an-ar-10-and-an-lr-308 including common barrel nut sizes.

ETA: I guess I should note I bought an Aero m5 308 upper for a build I plan, and it does not fit a lower I have precicely because the pivot pin holes are a hair too small. Theoretically I can ream them a bit and the pins will go in fine (a very small amount). But, i have not done it yet as I have not decided which lower to use. Ahhh, decisions...

But I think the overall point is I dont think you can really tell until the parts are in hand.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom