What did you learn at your Wear & Carry training class that you didn't know before attending?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    See ADR’s response above. That’s what it means. Stand your ground laws effectively mean, someone is being aggressive towards you, you have no duty to leave and if you feel your life may reasonably be threatened you can use deadly force.

Duty to retreat means if you have a reasonable means to leave or deescalate you must. Going out in your yard where a guy has a visible weapon puts yourself in a position where a reasonable person would think they might have to resort to deadly force to protect themself. You’ll probably be facing manslaughter if you do that then. Stand your ground states you probably won’t as you have a right to be there.

Out in your yard already, could you probably get inside and lock the door behind you and call the police? That’s what you need to do. Chancy you’d make it, you have no duty to put yourself in greater danger by trying to get away.

Someone trying o break in to your car, you don’t have to cower. You can go confront them. But if it looks they are armed, you have a duty to not put yourself in possible mortal danger.
    Wrong.
    Retreat is just that. Try to get away from the situation if feasible. There's no minimum or maximum time for retreat. Not required if death or serious bodily injury is imminent.
    No one is required to De-escalate a situation. That means having a conversation with a threat talking them into not shooting/hurting you.

Where do you get this car break in thing? Approaching your car being broken into is no different than your shed being broken into. You are going outside to your curtilage and possibly putting yourself into a situation where you might need to use deadly force. That's a no go.

Sep 30, 2021
    Carroll County
    Why would you worry about printing?
    Since no longer on duty/uniformed representing LEO (military), probably hypersensitive concealment. Don't need the hassle or conflict. Still trying out different carry options. Being a little wide-at-the-waist, IWB isn't my best option (though, 5 oclock is doable; not a fan of appendix, lean to shoulder for versatility.) So far, the Galco pocket holster works best for me, though I was IWB (26 in High Noon) yesterday under just an untucked long shirt worked fine. I dont own a Hawaiian shirt yet :) Making my own shoulder rig now (like the Miami Classic--but worn at the pits versus the hips)

There is much misinformation regarding printing/brandishing/laws/opinions. In this thread alone discusses the misinformation being promulgated by instructors rushign to market and capitalize on SCOTUS aftermath, ostensibly former law enforcement folks, giving opinions as if legal fact. Clearly, some are off-the-chain wrong and I do understand these are folks reiterating their understanding of what was presented. But how pervasive is this ignorance? I think standardization IS in order. BTW-Thanks to whoever posted that MDSP class outline. I downloaded it for further review.

So I am cautions as I no longer represent law enforcement and am flying solo and worry about the ignorance of the general public (confuse what they opine laws mean), and to some extent the LEO on the street trying to ballance order. Thus I consider printing, business signage, etc, to ensure I stay rightous. I don't wish to lose my liberty from bad advice.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    The biggest problem with understanding Maryland gun laws is that esteemed body known as
    the Maryland General Assembly write crappy laws. A big part of that is due to the political body has vague notions on firearms to start with, then they craft the laws in a fashion that they can be interpreted in different ways depending on the need of the government at the time. Followed by urban myths that have grown into being, which even law enforcement believes. This information is passed along by so called experts, many I am sure can tell you with authority that you can't transport loaded mags, and the best places to hunt for bigfoot.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes, a holster is considered a “container”

IF the holster has a strap , or other retention mechanism that requires a seperate action to release the gun . A plain , friction fit open top holster wouldn't .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or that fit and grip are better on the smaller pistol. A longer sight radius is a longer sight radius and even if everything else were equal, the weapon with the longer sight radius will always be more accurate as humans can’t perfectly line-up the sights every time, but a longer sight radius aids in getting them closer to being perfectly lined up.

But I certainly have some fairly small pistols I shoot really well between a fixed barrel and them just fitting my hand really well. Many large handguns I don’t shoot well because they don’t fit well. Gen 3 Glocks just fit my hand well. Big, medium and small. I certainly shoot my G34 more accurately than my 19 even though they both fit my hand just as well and are roughly the same accuracy from a rest. A little more weight and an extra 1.5” of sight radius helps a ton for the 34.

Ehhh .

By far the most important factor is trigger control . The fit of the gun , and your grasp there of are factors that * can * contribute to proper finger placement and minimize twisting of the gun while pulling the trigger , if the pull itself is otherwise smooth & consistent .

Distant second is for the gun to be physically pointing reasonably close to desired Impact when it discharges . ( Sidestepping the whole point shooting debate for the moment ).

Sight Radius per se is negligible factor in the present context . I've shot snub in PPC match with 50yd stage . Look at the scores of old school PPC competitors in the class mandating 3 in and under bbl lengths . Sure , that class will have winning scores a few " X" less than their bull bbl match guns , but still better than 99.9 % of mortals with their prefered full size guns .

There's even a school of thought that Shorter sight radius is better for new shooters . For the same amount of actual gun waivering , a longer sight radius will visually seem to be more than a shorter radius . The thought goes that would distract and undermine the confidence of newer shooters disporportionatly .

I'm not anti longer bbl lengths . It does effect balance , and usually muzzle flip , and may well be to your liking . It will effect muzzle velocity . For some calibers and some loads thereof , it might be meaningful , other calibers not so much .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm wondering how these people come up with their prices for this garbage. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Supply/ Demand

* I did have one instructor tell me in person to the effect of ; " At $ ( particularly low price ) , I'm not making any money . I'm doing this because I believe in the 2nd Amendment ."

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Doesn’t Maryland consider SBRs to be a handgun?
    Yes but SBR's have their own travel/transport requirements.

Sort of . Maryland treats firearms of less than 16in bbl lengths as handguns . Hypothetically , a Rifle with 16in bbl , but OAL of less than 26 inch would be an SBR , but not a Maryland " handgun "
    Substitute shotgun and SBS as appropriate .

Ok , I'll bite . For INTRAstate transport within Maryland . what additional regs for SBR/ SBS beyond those for Handguns ?

CrabbyTurtle

Dec 23, 2020
    2A First
    I learned a lot at my Wear and Carry training class. It was fun, educational and I'm interested in taking more classes. I've only been a firearm owner since '20 but I've hit the range every single weekend since. It's wrong that we have to pay so much for a Constitutional right but the education is invaluable.
    I took my course with Jonathan at United Gun Shop.

tjaw

Nov 14, 2014
    Monkton, MD.
    I never thought of it that way. I was told, in some States, you can be charged with "brandishing" if you print and someone calls it in.

Concealed means concealed.
    As Stery40 pointed out, the Maryland permit is "Wear and Carry", not "Concealed Carry". I agree that Concealed means Concealed, but we just do not have that in Maryland.

Sigwolf9

May 4, 2022
    Maryland
    I learned that a fire arm when transporting needs a “locking” device on it. Not as that standard states. Strd started it can be stored in a case, holster, in a locked trunk separated from ammo. I been traveling to and from the range with my handgun in the trunk of my vehicle in a zippered case unloaded, ammo in backseat in the opposite floor. I was told if a cop stopped me I would be in violation. ???

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I learned that a fire arm when transporting needs a “locking” device on it. Not as that standard states. Strd started it can be stored in a case, holster, in a locked trunk separated from ammo. I been traveling to and from the range with my handgun in the trunk of my vehicle in a zippered case unloaded, ammo in backseat in the opposite floor. I was told if a cop stopped me I would be in violation. ???
    Whoever told you this is wrong WRT maryland. This person is referring to volkmer/mcclure/FOPA86 which deals with interstate transport through nonpermissive states. No requirements in md for locks.

No loaded handguns without w&c permit. No loaded long guns period (dnr and their BS).

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Here's the law...neither two mentioned of being locked.

Maryland Code, Criminal Law § 4-203

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

Jonemtp

Jul 17, 2022
    PG
    I learned the 9 dot torture test we did as practice before the actual qualification was pretty challenging.
    Dot Torture is a fantastic drill - especially in light of the current ammo situation.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    There are other members here who have worked with you for over 20 years?
    They know the truth about what?
    I just asked if you yourself made a throw down wallet.
    And wanted to hear more about the thug retaliation stories.
    You make these episodes seem like an everyday occurrence.
    Creative writing. He's good at it :)

Jond

Dec 4, 2021
    Learned allot of untrained people want to carry. Don't get Me wrong any training is good. I feel that you should have at least some training before you go to a concealed carry class. Allot of the people in our class hadn't even held a gun yet.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Learned allot of untrained people want to carry. Don't get Me wrong any training is good. I feel that you should have at least some training before you go to a concealed carry class. Allot of the people in our class hadn't even held a gun yet.
    So the untrained should get trained before the training.....got it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I know it's a lot to understand, but that's the whole point.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Your Instructor misinformed you .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom