What did you learn at your Wear & Carry training class that you didn't know before attending?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The instructor didn’t say it was required, but that he thought it was a good idea and that the police he has spoken with said they prefer to be told up front.

He did not mention, so far as I recall, that some states require it, which is an important omission. I did not know about that.
    It's a good idea if you think it's a good idea. It's a personal decision.
    When I was doing traffic stops, I expected every car to have a gun. Because that's how you handle your safety. Didn't matter if there was a gun or not.
    I'm going tell them because more than likely it's going to be in the cup holder of my console.

Trick is, don't get pulled over.

JRisBundyboyz

Nov 23, 2007
    Bel Air
    I got to handle that new hellcat pistol as the new owner couldn’t figure out how to lock back the slide.

I know it’s not supposed to be mentioned but I counted people getting flagged 18 times including instructor and I’m just glad nobody got hurt.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Soooooo.... I think it isn't legal to take your gun off, unload it, put it in an enclosed case or holster, and then leave it in your car to go into a prohibited place. But I'm not sure. That is what the instructor stated

We had a lot of discussion about that in our class. The instructor said the permit states the gun must be in your possession or immediate control and when it is locked up in your vehicle it is no longer in your possession or immediate control. Unfortunately, like you, I left the class without being completely sure about a key element of wear and carry.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    We had a lot of discussion about that in our class. The instructor said the permit states the gun must be in your possession or immediate control and when it is locked up in your vehicle it is no longer in your possession or immediate control. Unfortunately, like you, I left the class without being completely sure about a key element of wear and carry.
    You don't need a W&C permit to have a gun in your house when you aren't there.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    You don't need a W&C permit to have a gun in your house when you aren't there.
    That was my argument. His point was your gun is subject to theft if left in your vehicle. I said none of us in this classroom can be sure that no one is in our homes right now steeling our guns.

I’d like to know the exact legal answer to this. Since it’s unclear, my guess is that it’s not properly addressed by law.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ok. So stealing my gun from my car is no different than taking my laptop or any other property.
    Report it stolen within 72 hours like the law says and decide on which new gun you want to replace it with.

So you say they stole my prescription pills that may be deadly if taken by the wrong person?

This reminds me of one time I bought a homeless guy some food and drinks at Starbucks. He went outside, and ate most of it. When he left, he left all the trash right there on the table and threw other trash as he was walking to the bus stop.

So, was it my fault he littered? I mean, If I didn't buy it for him it would have never happened. Right?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    there’s a difference between what makes sense and what the law says

Most of us know what makes sense but it seems like none of us are exactly sure what the law says. My guess is that the law doesn’t address it clearly and then we’re left to make a judgement call. The problem of course is when the responding officer or judge has a different opinion.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    there’s a difference between what makes sense and what the law says

Most of us know what makes sense but it seems like none of us are exactly sure what the law says. My guess is that the law doesn’t address it clearly and then we’re left to make a judgement call. The problem of course is when the responding officer or judge has a different opinion.
    Here's the rub. Shame on you if you leave it overnight somewhere, home, hotel, etc...
    Daytime parking lot smash and grabs from a casual thief checking your console, I have to say RARELY happen. That being said, use one of those stupid boxes tethered with a cable to a seat post under the seat or trunk, is deterrent enough.

" Oh but the lock can be picked!" Sure. First of all he won't have jiggler keys on him to try and bypass that cheap ass lock. Secondly, it takes more time than he wants to spend in daylight in a parking lot.

"But he might have bolt cutters!" Ok, stop right there.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    People lie. Especially if they feel "threatened" by the mere presence of a firearm or have an agenda.
    Third example in this video has just that. Now the guy carrying was a dumb ass who went looking for trouble, but he supposedly never drew, but the other clown lied and said he did when he saw the holstered pistol.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Ah, MoCo. Home sweet home.

I was rummaging around the travel supplies in the Container Store on Rt. 355 in Rockville. A female employee a few years older than I am starts asking questions to help me find what I need. I tell her I want bottles and jars to hold liquids and pastes. She asks what kind of liquids and pastes. I try to be coy but she keeps probing for specifics. I finally tell her that I need containers to hold gun cleaning solvents, lube oils and greases. The look on her face turned 180 degrees in an instant. You'd have thought she just learned I killed kittens. She promptly turned around and walk away.
    That's why I remain vague under interrogation. I was in Home Depot looking for items to complete a gun project, and while I appreciated the associate's questions to get more information so he could better assist me, I finally had to tell him no, I've given you as much information that I care to share, give me your best guess on the product you think will work.
    I've also had an older associate from Ace Hardware state: I'm not asking what the project is, but I just need a little more information to help you better. He certainly understood privacy.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Relative to properly securing the piece in your car, I do not have a Permit, but I do Transport often from home to range with them properly secured. I believe Transport Regulations dictate that you must transport Directly from start location to destination,
    with NO stops.
    That being said, if you have a Sale/Buy situation at your local MSP barracks, the local MSP barracks makes it clear "DO NOT BRING FIREARMS INSIDE UNLESS TOLD TO DO SO" Ergo, while inside to start the transfer, the piece remains outside in the car, secured. Something just does not make sense. It implies that if you vehicle is in the MSP parking lot, it's OK, unattended???

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Relative to properly securing the piece in your car, I do not have a Permit, but I do Transport often from home to range with them properly secured. I believe Transport Regulations dictate that you must transport Directly from start location to destination,
    with NO stops.
    That being said, if you have a Sale/Buy situation at your local MSP barracks, the local MSP barracks makes it clear "DO NOT BRING FIREARMS INSIDE UNLESS TOLD TO DO SO" Ergo, while inside to start the transfer, the piece remains outside in the car, secured. Something just does not make sense. It implies that if you vehicle is in the MSP parking lot, it's OK, unattended???
    If there's ever a captive audience for jack booted thugs to arrest someone, this would be it.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    with NO stops.

The law does NOT say this.

There is absolutely nothing prohibiting a stop. I'd keep it reasonable and short, but that's me.

Criminal Law § 4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun Westlaw Link 4-203
    (a) Prohibited. --
    (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
    (i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;
    (ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a
    road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;
    (iii) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph while on public school property in the State;
    (iv) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another
    person; or
    (v) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph with a handgun loaded with ammunition.
    (b) Exceptions. -- This section does not prohibit:
    (3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or
    from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide
    residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the
    business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an
    enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    That's why I remain vague under interrogation. I was in Home Depot looking for items to complete a gun project, and while I appreciated the associate's questions to get more information so he could better assist me, I finally had to tell him no, I've given you as much information that I care to share, give me your best guess on the product you think will work.
    I've also had an older associate from Ace Hardware state: I'm not asking what the project is, but I just need a little more information to help you better. He certainly understood privacy.
    Regarding matters like this I am vague 99% of the time for the same reasons, it's just that she was such a pest with her questions. I figured I'd either get some useful assistance or run her off. Let's face it, her input didn't really matter because I was looking for a few bucks worth of bottles and jars, not torque specs or other technical info where a mistake could have real consequences.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Where do you get this idea? It's a speeding ticket. Let them write it and be along your way. Of course if it's sitting out in your console or seat, sure. If for some reason you need to get out of the car, sure.
    If you want to slow things down and put a cop on alert, then tell them you have a gun and NOW they have to go look at your permit and shit.
    No. Cops don't want to stand out on the side of the highway and chat with you about your cool, new gun.

UGH. People need to stop over thinking this stuff.
    I asked the MSP when he approved my W&C. He said that legally you don't have to tell them you are carrying, but he would prefer to know. So I plan to hand over my permit along with my license if I get stopped.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I asked the MSP when he approved my W&C. He said that legally you don't have to tell them you are carrying, but he would prefer to know. So I plan to hand over my permit along with my license if I get stopped.
    Personal decision. Many think the less talk, the better. There's just 2 polar opposite schools of thought on it. I could go either way.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I got stopped on I-95 in southern VA by VSP at about midnight while armed. I laid my keys on the dash, turned on the interior lights and put both hands out the driver's window, one with my DL and the other with my registration. I was carrying under a non-resident FL permit.

When the officer reached my window, I told him: "I don't think I am required to tell you, but I have a concealed carry permit and a loaded handgun in the truck with me.". He asked "Where is it" and I told him "Wedged between the seat & console, next to my right leg.". He said "OK, thanks for letting me know. As long as it stays there, we'll be fine." I laughed and said "It's not going anywhere.". He never asked to see my permit or handgun and left me with my loaded pistol while he wrote a rather lenient ticket.

While I believe it's just a courtesy to be honest and prevent any surprises, I'm really not confident that is going to be the best thing to do right now in MD. Maybe in a year or two, after the PDs get used to armed citizens...

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I got pulled over by a VA county sheriff last weekend on our way back from a shooting weekend with friends in WV. He did the usual slow walk past the back of the vehicle (a large SUV), and of course saw the payload area bristling with ammo cans, gun cases, gun belts with holsters in plain view. When he got to the passenger side window he was actually laughing out loud when he said, "Are there any weapons in the vehicle?" It was funny, and he knew it. Of course I told him yes, and he asked if I had one on me and I said I did, and would he like to see my Maryland permit. He was excited because after years of pulling people over just miles from MD, it was the first time he'd ever seen one. Very nice guy, we had a nice chat under a shade tree on the side of Lee Highway, and he sent me on the way with a friendly warning about coming over that highway's hills going too fast. Also turned out to be HAM, and there's more to that story in another thread here. But: everyone was polite and friendly and there was zero friction.

Oh: I mentioned that he would soon be seeing a lot more MD permits, and he said he was aware, and asked if I was an MSI member.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    ****I'm a skinny little douche-waffle so I print easily when carrying. I also live in MoCo where people are notoriously anti-gun in general. When I carry, it's an IWB holster with a G43 and I am always very cognizant of where I am and am as careful as possible to not make that known. Pretty sure I have BGOS but I've been yelled at by women for not wearing a *mask* outside while walking back to my car... God only knows what they would do if they knew I was carrying - they'd call SWAT if they could.. :shocked4:
    Well, the smedium shirts probably aren't helping you conceal much either :lol2: ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom