What did you learn at your Wear & Carry training class that you didn't know before attending?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurkeM

MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Which NRA Class does the "sample" lesson plan resemble?
    None, as the NRA doesn’t pretend to teach state law.

I’ve never done a deep analysis of the “sample” lesson plan against other course material. I always suspected part came from the Police Academy itself.

Attachments

• 7343A29A-05F4-44E7-B2F6-B5DBF3AE21B6.jpeg
      7343A29A-05F4-44E7-B2F6-B5DBF3AE21B6.jpeg
      57.9 KB · Views: 22

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Your background is IDEAL for running a better than average program. 0311 and FF/PM? Better judgement skills than most LE.
    kinda hoping to make something good out of it, already spit balling ideas on a note book on curriculum....having developed hazmat and ems training before likely helps too

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    NRA Basic Pistol instructor is pretty dead on for HQL, but doesn't come close to what MSPLD specifies for W&C.
    NRA CCW or NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home cover what MSPLD describes for the W&C curriculae, but they are much more complicated to attain.
    I dont intend to.just stop at the bare minimum lol, just use it as a launching point,but fair assessment

Occam

Recovering Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Exactly- the QHIC makes you exempt from the 16 hr nonsense and 30 years of repeating the 8 hr nonsense.

Build from there.
    Though there are some requirements in place to regularly renew the instructor's status and blessings from the MSP, right? It's not once-and-done, I don't think. Would like to be wrong.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Though there are some requirements in place to regularly renew the instructor's status and blessings from the MSP, right? It's not once-and-done, I don't think. Would like to be wrong.
    I just received my MHIC from MD, and it expires in two years.

4g64loser

collector of fine .22s
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Good for two years, IIRC. Basically you have to prove continuous credentials with whoever your governing body is (nra, uscca, etc).

BurkeM

MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Renewal of the QHIC requires one to keep paying to renew their NRA membership and an online renewal (no fee) of the QHIC.

IN other words, the MGA insists that instructors spend money supporting the NRA rather than spend hours in a chair .

I just did both- paid to renew my NRA certs and emailed MSP, should have my new QHIC “certificate” in a day or two.

There’s no downside to having the instructor credentials- you will get the occasional random call from someone wanting a class. You either smile and do the occasional one-on-one training session (for profit or for the joy of helping a fellow citizen) or you tell someone you’re unavailable until Spring.

Run one class a year, or per quarter, or month- it’s a very liberating opportunity to challenge yourself and to serve your community, all the while knowing that every student who successfully obtains her or his HGP will infuriate Frosh and the other petty tyrants in Annapolis.

Teaching the class requires continuous learning yourself. It means frequently visiting multiple LGS FFL’s, Gun shows and pawn shops. It requires reading the monthly publication from the NRA and other firearms associations. It requires following MSI, MSRPA and other 2A organizations for updates in legislation and regulations.

While I’m not an accountant (CPA) or tax lawyer, it is apparently true that ALL of your annual expenses (Range time, ammunition, firearms accessories, targets, PPE, and new/used guns) as well as membership fees for professional organizations, may be deductible on your state and federal taxes for your side-business. As an instructor.

Another way you can annoy Annapolis and the IRS.

ras_oscar

Apr 23, 2014
    I learned nothing that I didn't already know. There was some information offered that I understood to be wrong because of my conversations on this forum and research in COMAR. I emailed the instructor with the corrected info and COMAR cites but I received no reply. Ah Well.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Behind the scenes the upper eschelons of the NRA are pretty much in line with requiring instructors to retake the Basic Instructor Training class every 2 years to maintain instructor status. Probably be announced over the winter.

abeaty

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    1) That you're not allowed in MD to have a blood alcohol level over 0 when carrying. It is against the law.
    2) "No gun" signs are not enforced by law in MD, but are in DC.
    3) If someone in MD sees your firearm and asks you to leave their establishment. You could be charged with Trespass + firearm if you refuse.
    4) You're not allowed to carry in an establishment in DC that makes 80% or more of its revenue from alcohol.
    5) You're not allowed to carry in DC within a 1000 feet of a representative - even if it's an unplanned visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fooj64

Latest threads

Top Bottom