What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    I searched for my bright orange .308 case checker for a solid half hour.
    I really need to do a thorough cleaning and decluttering of the sh!thole known as my man cave.
    I hear you on that I been looking for my .452 sizer die on an off for about a week now. I'm needing to straighten up myself instead of shuffling crap around. I know if I buy another one it's sure to pop up.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Cast another 125+ svarog zeverboy slugs using some of the 150# of WW ignots I had misplaced. I'll let this batch "rest" a few days before powder coating.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Loaded up 150, 357. 158gr Xtreme plated SWCs on 5.4gr of titegroup. Runs to a little shy of 1000fps out of my 8" 27-2. Nice and soft shooting, very accurate. Later this week I plan to load up 150 of MMBC 158gr coated SWC on 5gr of TG (which also runs to 1000fps). And probably sometime in between load 50 of 147gr RNFP FMJ 9mm subs on 4.4gr of CFE Pistol and maybe a test ladder of 147gr V-crowns. The 147 RNFP I had loaded 4.1 and 4.3gr, but still coming in a little slower than expected/desired. I had been thinking that should be max pressure and run mid/high 900s out of my G34, but it was clocking only around 935fps. But I forgot to account for the fact that the bullet is a fair amount shorter than the Hornady XTP and Speer GD 147gr load data, so it is definitely running a few thousand under max pressure. I figure bump it just a tenth of a grain should get me about 950fps out of the G34 and about 900 out of my G19 (4.3gr was running 891fps from my G19). Doesn't want to cycle very reliably in either gun with my can on. That might be as much needing to clean the can some and/or shorten the COAL slightly. Runs fine without the suppressor on.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Cast another 125+ svarog zeverboy slugs using some of the 150# of WW ignots I had misplaced. I'll let this batch "rest" a few days before powder coating.

Assembled and bagged 100 of the slugs. I have 25 others loaded to test at camp to see where the sweet spot is for these 100 to load to.

IMG_4391.jpeg

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    The light bulb kicked on as I was kicking myself in the butt. I was cleaning some cases in the ultrasonic cleaner. It was time to clean my dies which I usually do with carb cleaner. Well, dropped them in the ultrasonic cleaner and wow they came out ultra clean and even took off the lead from loading cast.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The light bulb kicked on as I was kicking myself in the butt. I was cleaning some cases in the ultrasonic cleaner. It was time to clean my dies which I usually do with carb cleaner. Well, dropped them in the ultrasonic cleaner and wow they came out ultra clean and even took off the lead from loading cast.
    I keep saying I'm going to get an ultrasonic cleaner and I haven't yet taken that plunge. Seems like it would be a worthwhile investment.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I keep saying I'm going to get an ultrasonic cleaner and I haven't yet taken that plunge. Seems like it would be a worthwhile investment.
    For Fathers Day I am going to get a large industrial model. One thing I have learned when cleaning very dirty items was to put them in a plastic bag with the cleaning solution and item in it. And fill the ultrasonic cleaner with distilled water. This way all the crud stays in the plastic bag. A bud has a large industrial one and he cleaned is tools like wrenches, sockets, pliers and other tools using the plastic bag method. His sockets were 40 years old and now they look almost new. He also cleaned hid pipe dies which were all curded up. They came out like new

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I would't have even thought about the plastic baggie method - I'm going to remember that! It's a good way to save on solution, that's for sure.

I'm looking into the Vevor ultrasonic cleaners - they seem to review very well and don't look like they'd break the bank. I'm just not sure what size to get.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I would't have even thought about the plastic baggie method - I'm going to remember that! It's a good way to save on solution, that's for sure.

I'm looking into the Vevor ultrasonic cleaners - they seem to review very well and don't look like they'd break the bank. I'm just not sure what size to get

I am purchasing the 15L of this model and bud has a 30L which he has had for a few years. It has the best rating of all others.

I know a couple people who purchased Vectors and were not very happy. Also they have poor ratings.

You just put the cleaning solution on a freezer bag and fill the tank with clean distilled water works like a dream. Just do not over fill. Yes it does save on cleaning solution. I use 1 teaspoon of Lemishine dish washer booster and a teaspoon of dawn dish soap. You have to becarefuml with simple green as it can corrode certain metals.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Loaded and gauged about 450 9mm last night. Need to buy the Armanov quick loader to speed up the gauging process (which, in some ways, is slower than loading), but otherwise it was nice to get back on top of my 9mm stockpile. Hoping my evenings clear up a bit soon to start loading rifle again - discovering that my .300 BLK subs would cycle with a can definitely made me a little more excited to get back to loading them. :)

This past week I loaded 150rds of 6.5MB. 50 of those have been marked "1000yds". I beam tested those to within a kernel or two with H4350.
    The rest I threw with my Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I know the haters are gonna hate, but the Lee Perfect Powder Measure throws H4350 within a few kernels each throw- MAYBE 2/10 of a grain every tenth throw.
    To quote @E.Shell 1/10 of a grain differences aren't going to effect accuracy significantly. There are far many other factors at play that will be more significant.
    ETA- Peacemaker long distance on Sunday, 6/4/23

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I found a new way to be a little more efficient at the bench. I’m doing a load development set and I like to number and log all of the physical dimensions of the case. In the past I’ve just printed out a spreadsheet form, then penned the in the various details as I measured. Then I would go back and type the info into the computer spreadsheet.

It occurred to me today, that I could just enable speech recognition in windows and then simply recite the values as I read the data from the gauge. It’s working pretty accurately when I speak clearly.

afdffd0ce3c197e98c848974542e9d4d.jpg

Here is an example of how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Just finished up clean 2000 range pick up. Theis 22L ultrasonic cleaner is the cat's butt. 30 minutes no heat and done my Hornady cleaner will be dedicated to small batches and metal detecting finds. I have been gathering as many calibers of brass as possible. This batch was all 40 S&W.
    USC1.jpg
    usc2.jpg
    usc3.jpg

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Loaded 25 5.56 rounds with Accuate 2460 topped with 55 gr Hornady SP for load development with this bullet.

Loaded 5 each 350 Legend with Accurate 1680, CFE BLK, and Lil' Gun with 250 gr Hornady SUB-X bullets to find the approximate subsonic threshold for each of these powders. Will do workup(s) after I get the charge weight range narrowed down better.

Planning on hitting the range tomorrow. This will be the first time firing my 350 Legend AR with 12.5" 1:10 barrel, so I'm bringing some factory Hornady Subsonic cartridges to get it sighted in first.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have been slacking hard, haven't shot, haven't reloaded either. I need to clean up my 6x47L load, nail down a 6.5cm load and start load testing for 6arc

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have been slacking hard, haven't shot, haven't reloaded either. I need to clean up my 6x47L load, nail down a 6.5cm load and start load testing for 6arc
    My problem is that I've been shooting like crazy (2-3x a week), and basically all of the other time is either work, reloading just enough to get by, or doing personal/family stuff that I can't let go. The whole "let me spend a whole day just attacking my rifle loading backlog" is a pleasant fantasy at this point.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Setup to run some 300BO subs. Need more now that I can shoot them quietly. Had some old 208gr AMax to use up so a couple hundred of them passed through the Dillon this evening to test things out. Need to load more!

I don't have a bullet feeder for them and I'm not sure if the mini Mr Bulletfeeder will feed properly with blackout rounds. The length of the bullets and the fact that they were boattails, made it easy to feed by hand tho and I won't be able to stack many up in the bullet feeder anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom