• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

I want to get the top part to match the bottom part, however I don't want to refinish the whole gun, nor do I want to take it apart. Something quick and simple - Any suggestions?
    :fingerscrossed:
    707p.jpg

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    something quick? no..

if you want to match.. have to take off the top and restain (mahogany red i believe is the correct stain to match the old one) and re apply shellac..

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    My advice is to forget about the color difference. Just take it to the range and enjoy it. If you start screwing with the finish, you might make it just as bad or worse.

Or, adding to the previous post, call AIM tomorrow and ask if they have any dark ones. If they do, buy two of the darkest shades they have. One is bound to be close.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    My advice is to forget about the color difference. Just take it to the range and enjoy it. If you start screwing with the finish, you might make it just as bad or worse.

Or, adding to the previous post, call AIM tomorrow and ask if they have any dark ones. If they do, buy two of the darkest shades they have. One is bound to be close.

:thumbsup:

This

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    You can stain it without stripping the finish if you use an alcohol based stain. I've done it a few times with excellent results.

smoothebore

Call me Bubba if you want, but that color contrast would drive me nuts too. A shellac finish is the easiest thing in the world to improve. The hardest part is to slide the bands forward. Don't force them, they will really tear up the existing finish. The bands are springs. Insert a small flat screwdriver between the knuckles at the underside, and spread them with a twisting motion. Then insert a larger flat screwdriver and do the same thing until you have a gap in the knuckles of about 1/4". Then I'd put in a wood shim to hold the knucklles open, and free up my tools for the second band. Once you can slide the bands forward without touching the wood stock, then lift away the offending blond top stock half. The shellac comes off easily with paper towels and denatured alcohol. Let the alcohol evaporate then stain with your choice of dark color. Next apply a couple coats of amber shellac with a brush. They will dry to touch in minutes. I'd give it overnight to cure. Next day, put it back on the gun, slide the bands back in place, pull the wedges, admire your handiwork, and then go shoot the hell out of it.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    Go to Wal-Mart and get brown, black and red RIT fabric dye. You can use the powder or liquid type. Pick up a bottle of rubbing alcohol too. Use an old bottle and mix the dye to get the color you want. If you get the liquid you can mix it then add the alcohol. Whichever type you use add alcohol as it softens the shellac which helps the dye get into it. You may have to apply it a few time. When it's dry it won't rub off.
    The dye also works on bare wood. It's good for staining birch and beech which resists traditional oil based stains. I've used it many time with good results. If it's too dark you can wipe it with alcohol to remove some of the stain.
    Go ahead and stain it to match if you want. It's your rifle to do with as you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom