• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Should have bought a 6.5 Grendel upper instead. :)

If ammo cost is an issue and you don't reload, go 308. 500 and in is nothing for a good 308 gun. I'm not sure where you're gonna find a 500yd deer shot anywhere near here, though...

Not really that hard to find a 500 yard deer shot if you hunt crop fields anywhere other than central Maryland. I used to hunt a 220 acre farm in Washington County and 500 yards wasn't really that far of a stretch. Could probably have gone out to 1,000 yards, way beyond my ability, if I was in the front fields and a deer was on the edge of the timber line at the top of the mountain. Granted, the front fields were subdivided and sold while I was hunting that farm, so 1,000 became a lot harder to achieve, but 500 was still easily possible.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm debating whether or not to switch out barrels on my .308 AR to match my 6mm Creedmoor bolt gun...
    A friend of mine who is much more into precision rifle shooting than I am (at least at the moment) is quite enamored with the 6 Creedmoor for a number of reasons:

1.) It's very accurate
    2.) in Nebraska where he lives, it's big enough to take any deer or antelope in the state - the 243 is popular, but the 6 Creedmoor can utilize heavier bullets
    3.) It's all over the shelves as factory ammo

To me it looks like an interesting cartridge, and it might be a good way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom