What are the easiest, fastest, 922R parts to SBR a Zastava M92 pistol and make it MD legal and Greta Thunberg approved?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    I haven't worried about 922r compliance parts since the early 2000's and the FAL and AK kits (those were the days!). What's the easiest way to get one of the pistols ATF approved and MD tolerated? Do I need 5 US parts without a muzzle device (or if the muzzle device is welded on), and 6 US parts with a removable muzzle device?

922r US Replacement Parts
    (1) Shockwave brace --- This can be replaced with something nicer later
    (3) Fire Control Group --- do these Zastavas take any standard AK trigger group? Is there a brand that's good and cheap, like the old Tapcos or FSEs?
    (1) Grip --- any old Magpul AK grip
    (1) Muzzle device -- what do you recommend? I know the Zastavas have a different thread pattern than most AKs. Perhaps there's a simple US made slant brake/nut that fits them?
    (1?) Handguards -- I haven't shopped for them, but am sure they're going to be expensive and modern-looking

Please feel free to recommend good and cheap parts. I'm not looking to spend money right now but would like to try to take advantage of this "free" tax stamp when converting from pistol. As is, it's not going to look like a factory, military-like, configuration which is what I like, so it doesn't really matter.

Thanks in advance for any and all help with this!

Last edited:

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    how-dare-you-greta-thunberg.gif

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Answered on another site...

According to the ATF you Do Not need to buy any parts for your gun as it was already assembled when imported. You didn’t build the gun from imported parts. You can save your money and not buy replacement 922r parts. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/i-p...-then-subsequently-equipped-stabilizing-brace

“I possess a pistol, which was imported and then subsequently equipped with a stabilizing brace. Does 18 U.S.C. § 922(r) apply to my firearm?

No. Section 922(r), in relevant part, makes it unlawful to assemble from imported parts a semiautomatic rifle that is otherwise not importable. The implementing regulations of the GCA at 27 CFR 478.39 provides that a person may not assemble a semiautomatic rifle using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in the relevant paragraphs of the regulation. As discussed in section IV.B.8.e of the final rule, the criminal violation under section 922(r) is for the “assembly” of the semiautomatic rifle; therefore, no modification of such firearm would cure the 922(r) violation because the “assembly” has already occurred. Accordingly, a person with an imported pistol that was subsequently equipped with a “stabilizing brace” will have the same options as anyone else under the final rule. Should that person choose to register the firearm, no further modification of the firearm with domestic parts is required.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Now braces are considered rifles so you'd have to apply for an SBR stamp, then do 922r before you put a stock(brace) on. You can swap 922r before or after SBR approval, but you can't put the stock on until both approval and 922 parts are done.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I basically have a couple of Zastava pistols, 7.62 and .223, Century Arms imports, not sold with a brace nor ever having a brace mounted on them, sitting in their boxes for a long time. I also have a couple of the SB adapters that slip under the grip and accept an AR15-like receiver extension, some longer than average pistol receiver extensions, and a box full of KAK Shockwave braces.

I'm not looking to spend money right now but would like to try to take advantage of this "free" tax stamp when converting from pistol. As is, it's not going to look like a factory, military-like, configuration which is what I like, so it doesn't really matter. Spending little money and achieving the minimum 29" OAL is my main concern.

Thanks in advance for any and all help with this!
    Sorry, I don't think you are eligible for the free stamp. The braces had to be on the guns before the rule was published in the register AFAIK.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. Regardless, the linked ATF page was last reviewed in March, 2023.

Rocinante, what's the hand holding on the poster-like picture? Looks like a topcover with a Picatinny rail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom