What are purchase requirements in Virginia?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    I'm a new Virginia resident (for a couple of years now) but am very fuzzy on what it takes to purchase a firearm.

I am a Virginia Resident, but my VA driver's license shows a North Carolina address, because my driveway opens up into NC. It's called a Postal Anomoly, because the NC mailbox is the only Postal Address I have. I pay VA Taxes, have VA tags on my vehicles, a VA telephone number, etc.

I have successfully purchased a firearm in Virginia before. But I was loaded up with all kinds of ID at the time. It just seemed I needed to explain my address and all seemed fine.

At a gun show at Price William Fairgrounds a couple of weeks ago, I tried to get my wife to purchase something, and the vendor refused. She only had her driver's license (same issues as mine) and he said it wasn't enough. I ended up making the purchase without issues, but the only other ID I offered was my Concealed Carry Permit. (For two AR15 receivers only)

What exactly are the requirements for a Pistol Purchase? A Rifle Purchase? An AR15 Purchase?

Second question: I want to get an AR15 for a neighbor on the wrong side of the street - he is a NC resident with a NC address. This isn't a straw purchase, but will be a gift. How do I go about that, and what do I need to be concerned about? I really wanted to get him a .223 Wylde Kit and let him buy a receiver, but that may be a hardship for him. (Money not otherwise). I'm not allowed to gift or sell a long gun across state lines right? Not without going through an FFL? I do intend to help him put it together.

Sorry for the two questions, My unique address confuses my mind and everyone I end up talking with.

Thanks in advance! -Tom-

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah i can see that making things difficult! bummer.

not sure if you can use PO boxes on drivers licenses, but if so, get a VA DL with a VA PO box?

as far as your NC buddy, maybe you buy everything but the lower receiver, and he buys the lower receiver (the serialized part that needs the background check). or you could just hand him a check or gift card from midway, brownells, ranier, local gun shop, etc. i guess you could buy the actual lower receiver online and have it shipped to his ffl; that way, he'd be the only one filling out the paperwork.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Virginia did away with the second ID thing earlier this year, so not sure why you had to show a second ID, unless that FFL didn't have the newer forms. As for your friend, you can buy the firearm, but have to transfer it at an FFL in his state (NC).

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    Virginia did away with the second ID thing earlier this year, so not sure why you had to show a second ID, unless that FFL didn't have the newer forms. As for your friend, you can buy the firearm, but have to transfer it at an FFL in his state (NC).

That is what I thought. Still a little bit upsetting.

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    I have my p.o. box on mine as we don't have a mailbox on the street. Just made things easier when switching everything over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom