• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Just a thought of today

As I was driving home today, Just brainstorming about obtaining an FFL-01 Licence in the next 5 years if i decided to go into that path. As of now, I am in the middle of obtaining my C&R Licence which is being process as we speak.

Did a little bit of research and it cost $200 for three years and do a renew for cheaper which I don’t have a problem with it. However, I know that I don’t want to have a warehouse or a store front. I just wanted to do it from home as a side business. Maybe I could start up a shop on the internet and have a consulting business to do this.

Does it sound easy ? Does anyone have any ideas what are the norms in the state of Maryland ?

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    I did quite a bit of research into getting an FFL about a year ago. And it is pretty much impossible unless it is going to be your profession and livelyhood. You pretty much have to have a store front. When you register they wan't you to provide a business plan. They have all but done away with the basement dealer except for in very rural areas.

Even if you do get it initially If you don't get up and running you will very likely be denied re-licensure after the three years is up.

Don't mean to rain on your parade but they have made it very difficult and prohibitive to get one now. They do not want people getting FFL's for there "own personal use".

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    While I know that the BATF did start a pogrom against "garage front" FFLs a few years ago, I do know for a fact of people who do this as a part time job and even out of their homes.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I think what they look for is zoning issues. If there is no zoning preventing you from running a shop or business out of your house/residence, then I think you can get an FFL. For instance Lou in Bowie is either grandfathered in, or Bowie always has allowed it because they also allow doctors, dentists, psychiartrists and churches run out of Bowie houses (and in old Bowie they allow antique stores and even restaurants to run out of houses).

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I think what they look for is zoning issues. If there is no zoning preventing you from running a shop or business out of your house/residence, then I think you can get an FFL. For instance Lou in Bowie is either grandfathered in, or Bowie always has allowed it because they also allow doctors, dentists, psychiartrists and churches run out of Bowie houses (and in old Bowie they allow antique stores and even restaurants to run out of houses).

Yes, the big hurdle is zoning. When I looked into it a few years ago, the combination of inflated license fees (Big Brother needs a new MP5) and explicit concerns for zoning matters tended to run the basement/garage guys out of the part-time business. Getting zoning approval specifically for a firearms business was needed. If you can beat the zoning issue, you should be able to clear the FFL.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Thanks for the thoughts, I just had a feeling that the zoning would be an issue. Just that I live in P.G County but i will be moving sometimes within 5 years as I hope the house market crashes :)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Thanks for the thoughts, I just had a feeling that the zoning would be an issue. Just that I live in P.G County but i will be moving sometimes within 5 years as I hope the house market crashes :)
    I think it matters more what municipality you live in than it does with PG Co itself, but I am just guessing. I have seen businesses run out of residences in the county that weren't within a city limit (like real estate offices and accoutants).

Also you will have to actually run a business as I understand it and have an inventory. I have heard second hand that if you get the licenseand just do transfer fees, then that is a no-no, but like I said I heard that second hand so take it for what it's worth.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I read somewhere that the total number of 01-FFL's in the country has decreased by around 2/3rd's since the early 90's when Clinton and Reno went after all the "kitchen table" (their words) FFL's. But for those who like to tinker I have heard that in cases where a dealer's FFL is a problem for lack of business that a gunsmith's FFL (I think that's an 07?) is easier to get and maintain. Not so much business traffic required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom