What’s holding you back from taking your conceal carry course?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At least a few of the multiple 4hr sessions are out there .

But for me that would be worse , all in one calendar day best .

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I am waiting for my favorite LGS to put together classes with a trainer they work with. The goal is to group classes based on ability, so we won't have 50 year experienced shooters like me grouped with total noobs. I want to dig into MD laws of self defense, how to make shoot/don't shoot decisions, and so on. I know how to handle arms of all kinds and don't need to be taught the difference between a semiauto pistol and a revolver.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am waiting for my favorite LGS to put together classes with a trainer they work with. The goal is to group classes based on ability, so we won't have 50 year experienced shooters like me grouped with total noobs. I want to dig into MD laws of self defense, how to make shoot/don't shoot decisions, and so on. I know how to handle arms of all kinds and don't need to be taught the difference between a semiauto pistol and a revolver.
    You see my thread in the Water Cooler?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Reality :

16hr W&C is ( usually ) just a Poll Tax , with fringe benefit of a consistent minimum baseline of instruction to prevent brand new owners from shooting themselves in the foot .

Specialized training in which ever subject you decide to seek , is something seperate you take later . ( Heck , earlier if it's available sooner than your scheduled W&C tax paying session .

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Too much time and money for the amount of time I spend in MD these days. I'd apply for a non-resident permit today if it was $20 and a one-page application like PA.

And I'd be comfortable spending the time & money on a class if I knew it was more skill-focused.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Time is the biggest cost for me. 16 hours is a lot to give up for essentially nothing in return.

Although I did finally sign up for a class at the end of August.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Sixteen hours of class is tough on me right now because I am so busy

Hopefully by October it will slow down and I can figure out how to schedule that much time on a weekend

And the cost for classes is awfully high imo

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Did you ever receive any training or qualify with the pistol? And what is the current standard? Does the military require training and proficiency in pistols?

In my public safety training I attended a week long course and annual re-qualification. Not sure if the military has similar standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I was in it depended on the MOS and that was done at advance training, 95-Bravo you had to qualify with the Beretta since that is what you carried as an MP, you qualified with the m16 in basic.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I am sure I have, though you are a prolific poster and I am not sure to which specific thread you refer. If you tell me the title or provide a link I'd be much abliged.
    He made a "show off your assless chaps" thread.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Time is the biggest cost for me. 16 hours is a lot to give up for essentially nothing in return.

Although I did finally sign up for a class at the end of August.
    If you have been through a carry course before like the Utah you are just paying for the shooting part. There is not much more you will learn in the instructional MD law part, a few nuances but overall same as the Utah.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    If you have been through a carry course before like the Utah you are just paying for the shooting part. There is not much more you will learn in the instructional MD law part, a few nuances but overall same as the Utah.

Sounds right. I already have Utah

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Free time
    This is the major issue. If someone offered an online class that was broken down into 1-4 hour chunks, that would go a long way toward making it more convenient to take the class (OTOH, TPTB probably don't want it to be more convenient). No clue if that's legal or not, and obvs there would need to be an in person hands-on session, but finding 2 hours for an in-person session is easier than finding 8 hours.

packinacannon

Sep 23, 2012
    Have there been any outliers? Doesn't seem like it.
    I personally think it is absolutely stupid for someone who has a carry license in some thirty-eight or so states currently with no background issues ever to have to jump thru Good old Maryland's hoops. I passed Legal Heats class years back, passed MD. State police test, got photo id, got printed by Sheriffs dept and background check All of this was good enough a host of states. But not MD. Now that their hand is being forced to issue they take the stance that i need to be shown which end of a barrel is the exit, how to load etc. i understand this for someone who has never handled a firearm but this is a train load of crap for some one who has handled guns since he was 9 years oud without issue and holds a current license in other states. Its all about control , inconvenience ,and money. Make it such a pain in the ass so most cant afford the time off or the money. Also someone please explain why i held one of the highest security clearances thru the Federal govt. with prints on file there. Maryland Sheriffs Dept. has prints on file. State police has prints on file. BUT none are acceptable. Are they afraid i switched with my wife? Sorry for the book i just wrote but i am tired of the crap!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I personally think it is absolutely stupid for someone who has a carry license in some thirty-eight or so states currently with no background issues ever to have to jump thru Good old Maryland's hoops. I passed Legal Heats class years back, passed MD. State police test, got photo id, got printed by Sheriffs dept and background check All of this was good enough a host of states. But not MD. Now that their hand is being forced to issue they take the stance that i need to be shown which end of a barrel is the exit, how to load etc. i understand this for someone who has never handled a firearm but this is a train load of crap for some one who has handled guns since he was 9 years oud without issue and holds a current license in other states. Its all about control , inconvenience ,and money. Make it such a pain in the ass so most cant afford the time off or the money. Also someone please explain why i held one of the highest security clearances thru the Federal govt. with prints on file there. Maryland Sheriffs Dept. has prints on file. State police has prints on file. BUT none are acceptable. Are they afraid i switched with my wife? Sorry for the book i just wrote but i am tired of the crap!
    Yeah. I'm not reading all of that
    or
    I'm happy for you tho. LOL

I don't even remember what my outlier response was in response to. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom