What’s holding you back from taking your conceal carry course?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That begs the second question what do you think a fair price for a 16 hour course be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IMHO it depends on what is being provided. If the only value is checking a box, then frankly $100-200 if you provide your own gun and ammo if the assumption is cram a bunch of people in a room for some power points given by Ben Stein voice double and at the end shoot your qual and get your sheet signed.

For a place with really good teachers, good hands on teaching (not just a bunch of lecturing and then run you through your qual), rental and ammo provided, fingerprints and application help all included with good facilities, very flexible hours and days on classes and relatively small class sizes to make instruction closer to one-on-one (at least small group), I can see $500+ or even +++.

My knock on the most expensive places charging that $500+ currently is most jacked their prices a bunch as soon as demand hit, without delivering any extra quality and while also increasing class sizes and the number of classes offered. So profits up massively, delivering the same product or potentially a worse product because of larger class sizes. And the feedback doesn’t sound like most are any better than the instructors (and many times worse) who aren’t taking on giant classes and are charging in the $200-400 range.

But my suggestion for anyone looking for a class is decide who to go with based on what you want to get out of it. Price isn’t necessarily differentiating quality (IE an expensive class doesn’t mean it is a good class, and a cheap class doesn’t mean it’s a bad class).

PS I’ve got no problem with someone making money. Even really good money. But it more than rubs me the wrong way people delivering poor service and charging a premium for it simply because “they can”. Those providing a great service and charging accordingly don’t bother me at all.

safegunners

Aug 21, 2016
    Smithsburg MD
    You make some very good points. The Market for firearm's training in our state is going to evolve over time those who provide good service and quality training will become more visible.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Repeat: Protecting yourself and others from harm is a good enough reason to carry!
    Just thinking the scenario of becoming Brian Frosh's victim.
    Hat's off for you thoughtfully considering the issues , and reaching your thought out decision .

That said , you can absolutely be prepared . and choose to not use it in ( particular situation at particular time ) , a lot better than magically instantly arming yourself when the Malfactor( s) are irrational , stupid . or stoned and decide to assault / kill , when there is no economically rational reason to do so .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fair ? Is that something like Equitable ?

Subtle humor aside , " fair " is kind of abstract . I will observe that pre Bruen . the going rate was $300- $500 .

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    "when do I have the time"

not from me, from 3 friends.

16 hours is a barrier for a lot of people.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And when I get inquiries from muggle aquaontences who saw something on the news , and I explain the time and $ still involved , their eyes usually glaze over . ( And many of them had training well beyond the W&C Class , but when I explain that Maryland don't care , but they have to spend $$ to do over lesser training , they think I just making it up to F' with them .)

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Just as it was intended
    Yeah. I might actually have the time now that my wife is going to be at a physical rehab center for a month or so.

4 x four hour classes may actually work for me. Plus the range time to remember how to shoot a gun straight.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Maryland's state's attorney will criminalize you for protecting yourself, charge you with murder and make the perp the victim.
    The other option is don't protect yourself and you won't have to worry about it.

I will choose a trial over being murdered. Thanks.

safegunners

Aug 21, 2016
    Smithsburg MD
    "when do I have the time"

not from me, from 3 friends.

16 hours is a barrier for a lot of people.

The curriculum could be easily condensed into a 4-8 hour course.consequently it would make it a lot cheaper, I don’t believe our state will relax this provision though. Most likely they will complicate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

safegunners

Aug 21, 2016
    Smithsburg MD
    Yeah. I might actually have the time now that my wife is going to be at a physical rehab center for a month or so.

4 x four hour classes may actually work for me. Plus the range time to remember how to shoot a gun straight.
    The course of fire is pretty simple and fairly easy to pass.

Your shooting at a B-27 target which is pretty large. need to have 70% proficiency and any shot in the black of the target counts ...

3 yard line 5 rounds
    5 yard line 10 rounds
    7 yard line 5 rounds
    15 yard line 5 rounds

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You make some very good points. The Market for firearm's training in our state is going to evolve over time those who provide good service and quality training will become more visible.
    One thing that held me back is without Shall Issue and the availability of permit carriers, was lack of business. Now that having a permit allows people to carry and transport pistols without an issue, things have opened up.
    I'm hoping by Spring, I might have something happening.
    I think I can have class that cleans up(or makes people question) the messes of these permit classes, with an easy mix of basic shooting meshed with some basic practical defensive techniques. Who knows, I may even have an experienced(Prosecutor) Attorney along for the classroom portion.
    People don't have time or money to do multiple classes. But a class that gets you thinking and let's you leave with more than a few ideas of "advanced" shooting, will be a winner to me.

Oh yeah, nothing "NRA" about it.

safegunners

Aug 21, 2016
    Smithsburg MD
    One thing that held me back is without Shall Issue and the availability of permit carriers, was lack of business. Now that having a permit allows people to carry and transport pistols without an issue, things have opened up.
    I think I can have class that cleans up(or makes people question) the messes of these permit classes, with an easy mix of basic shooting meshed with some basic practical defensive techniques. Who knows, I may even have an experienced(Prosecutor) Attorney along for the classroom portion.
    People don't have time or money to do multiple classes. But a class that gets you thinking and let's you leave with more than a few ideas of "advanced" shooting, will be a winner to me.

What would be nice if MSP gave instructors a better course outline, much like what Utah has done. The response by MSP to me when I inquired about whether they had a curriculum to use for a wear and carry course was to use the "sample firearm safety course on their website" There is some benefit to having a course designation from the "USCCA" or "NRA" since other states will recognize these courses for their out of state permits. My goal with my courses is to first meet the state mandate and then as an addition provide students with relevant and useful content that will help them succeed safely in their firearms use and ownership.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater

Awesome! Yours would be a class worth taking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom