• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Folks on the CZ forums are trying to sell me on the CZ P-10 S.
    They are a bunch of enablers. If I bought everything they tried to talk me into, I'd be penniless. Their standard answer would be to buy all three.:rolleyes:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Folks on the CZ forums are trying to sell me on the CZ P-10 S.

You made me look !

The CZ P-10 series is NOT based on the classic CZ-75 platform . It is a fresh design polymer striker fired .

Distinctive for an extra large squared off trigger guard , the S model is 3.5 in bbl , 24oz , 12+1 . Kinda G26 sized .

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    I've carried a P-01 and know I shoot it well. So that would be my choice.

Since you've narrowed it down to three, you should go rent them. That will make your choice easier.

You're close to the BelAir Gun Range. They have free rentals on Mondays. $9 for 1/2 hour.
    They have only the Shield and I guess I can compare it to the Hellcat even though I was not looking for a micro.

Last edited:

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    You made me look !

The CZ P-10 series is NOT based on the classic CZ-75 platform . It is a fresh design polymer striker fired .

Distinctive for an extra large squared off trigger guard , the S model is 3.5 in bbl , 24oz , 12+1 . Kinda G26 sized .
    Yea the polymer pistol that has the Omega trigger system and is close to the P-01 is the P-07. The P-10 S would be my first striker fired gun although it got a lot of compliments from people who shot Glocks on the trigger for the P10.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You can only learn but so much from the gun press , and testimonials from respective fanboys .

You need to at minimum go hands on , and dry fire , and preferably live fire each , to know both which is reasonably viable * for you* , and /or if one of them is significantly more comfortable or significantly more accurate * for you * .

Or semi- seriously :

Does your personal outlook on life give you a sense of personal satisfaction to be an early adopter of the Latest . Greatest Thing before your friends and neighbors do ? Favor old school tried & true as default ?

Either ( or neither , favoring pure practicality ) is OK . As long as you are self aware , and your choices are reasonably viable for intended purposes ..

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    So wrapped up work early and hit Freestate and rented 3 guns. Oh my are compact guns much more recoil intensive than my steel guns. Shot at 7 yards and did one elevation change from chest to head on the target.

Shot the M&P Sheild EZ 9mm liked the trigger, the sights not so much started meh and tightened up but had flyers again changing over to shoot at the head

Shot the CZ P10C next. The sights as people have reported suck donkey dick! The rough pointed plastic stipling of the back and front straps are very uncomfortable as hell and despite the high and deep beaver tail I had trouble getting a good grip. The reports on the trigger are good, it is for a striker a rather smooth without too much travel and broke crisp and reset well. Not that did it do me much good, I shot the worst with this one. Take the P-01 over this any day.

The surprise was something unexpected. Having been middling pleased with one. Disappointed with another I asked for another compact to try and they gave me a H&K VP9SK compact it fit my hand reasonably well had great sights and recoil no worse than the other two and I shot much tighter groups than the other right from the start no flyers and same for changing elevation. The trigger was meh(very gritty) but made it work.

I kind of felt like that scene from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly where Tuco goes into the gun shop and starts pulling apart revolvers and putting back together something that was Goldilocks wishing I could have done the same.

Last edited:

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    No real experience with any of your choices but if you like the S&W except the sights, that should be a fairly simple swap.

Sounds like a winner with the VP9sk if you can carry it the way you want. It seems kinda chunky but YMMV. The gritty trigger could be because it's a rental with untold rounds through it without cleaning.

Any reason you haven't tried a Sig P365x? I've owned many handguns over the years because I want to try everything as an enthusiast. The P365x still surprises me how comfortable it is to shoot accurately (for me) compared to even larger guns. I broke my wrist as a kid and some guns cause me some pain but the SIG has been no problem. I also like the stock sights.

Last edited:

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Now that I have signed up for classes could use some feedback in narrowing down.

American Ruger Compact 9mm

S&W M&P Shield EZ PC 9mm

CZ P-01 9mm

Honorable mentions in 380ACP(still not sold on the caliber change my mind if want)

Ruger Security 380(yes I found a pair in an obscure place but not on the Handgun Roster yet).

Browning 1911-380 Black Label
    Just know,, they Shield EZ has a "reverse" grip safety.
    Wife had one,, in panic drills, the gun "FTF" more than once,, due to a "Not 100% perfect" grip.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The Browning 1911-380 is a 75% size 1911. I was interested in one for about 36 hours and found that mags are hard to find and very expensive, it has a magazine safety (deal killer for me) and parts are impossible to get. It's also a single stack, plus it's a .380. The existing mag release can be modified to negate the safety, but if you screw up the mod, inability to find a replacement mag release will make your gun a paperweight.

The CZ 75B compact series are VERY nice guns, DA/SA with 14 round flush mags. The alloy-frame CZ PCR is very much like the P-01, but slightly more compact, due to the lack of an accessory rail.

The CZ Compact is like both the P-01 & PCR, but is a steel frame, no rail, with 1911 style controls. Can be carried cocked & locked like a 1911, or hammer at half cock with the safety off for a DA/SA function.

As asked above, have you looked at/handled a P365X or a P365XL? 12 round flush fit mags, available with/without a safety.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Prolly would have a better feel for that after the course but very much likley OWB.
    I prefer OWB as well but have to consider warm weather and not having a cover garment. I'll switch over to pocket carry at that point so a different gun is needed because of size and weight.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    In add to the criticisms above, I found the sights on the 1911-380 hard to find. Testors model paint improved them, but out of the box they sucked. It doesn’t suit my hand, can’t hit the 10 ring at all from 7 yards

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    In add to the criticisms above, I found the sights on the 1911-380 hard to find. Testors model paint improved them, but out of the box they sucked. It doesn’t suit my hand, can’t hit the 10 ring at all from 7 yards
    It's a cool little thing but for practical purposes, the LCPII just made more sense to me.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    I've been carrying a PO1 Omega. Aluminum frame is fairly light weight and in the hand it feels a lot like a full size CZ. I've got a decent amount of trigger time on CZ's so it seemed like a good option. I run it in DA/SA configuration in AIWB with a WML. If I ever feel like dropping some money I'll get a new holster for without the light as really I tend to avoid places I can't see anyway.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Forget the P-10,, just anothe striker fired, Glock wanna-be.
    BUT DO get the P-01,, metal framed, hammer fired bliss.
    Or consider the CZ 2075 Rami; with the 14 rd mag (extended grip) it feels like a P-01, but is overall smaller and lighter. It also comes with 10 rd mags. Recoil is not an issue with it, at least not for me. (I think United has one. They stopped production back in 2020 IIRC.)

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Or consider the CZ 2075 Rami; with the 14 rd mag (extended grip) it feels like a P-01, but is overall smaller and lighter. It also comes with 10 rd mags. Recoil is not an issue with it, at least not for me. (I think United has one. They stopped production back in 2020 IIRC.)
    I have a decocker 2075 (RAMI)
    is uniteds a decocker or safety ?

wingsfan

Feb 11, 2017
    Ceciltucky
    A couple others to consider are the Springfield Hellcat, Hellcat Pro, Sig Sauer P365 series, Kimber Mako, and the Smith and Wesson Shield Plus. I agree with Slackdaddy on the Shield EZ grip safety, it's not for everyone.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Can only comment on ruger LCP and lc9. Both have been reliable for me.
    Other pistol i’ve Carried is glock 23.
    the LCP is my pocket pistol.
    Lc9 pocket when wearing pants with large enough pockets if not carry in crossbreed mini tuck.
    G 26 iwb crossbreed super tuck.
    Shopping hell cats now just because

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom